1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you stated you haven't used it, are you saying that, the OEM shade is in storage all the time or the OEM shade has been used all the time since you bought it? When used, how much sunlight passes through the shade and what kind of material is it? Does the shade material have a tendency to fade in color over time? I'm debating whether to get the OEM or after market one because the price different is not much between the 2. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I say "installed" because the snaps, etc. are in place- The shade itself was folded up in its bag when I bought the car( they fold up like a sunshade to stow) and I don't think its been used. I have pulled it out to see what it was and that's it. It's just kind of a nylon mesh stuff. If I have a few minutes later this A.M. I'll stick it up there and report back to you about how it shades and all like that.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Here are some images- not much sun today so everything is grey....
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii36/bumbazine/elementshade007.jpg?t=1268244307
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii36/bumbazine/elementshade006.jpg?t=1268244403
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii36/bumbazine/elementshade004.jpg?t=1268244491
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii36/bumbazine/elementshade002.jpg?t=1268244557
Sorry- for whatever reason the images did not actually download but the links work- in a rush, got to get to work- hope this enlightens you somewhat...

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
That install seems loose. Is it possible to "stretch" or "spread" it out? Can you verify that later when you can, please? Thanks.

·
Registered
115 Posts
That install seems loose. Is it possible to "stretch" or "spread" it out? Can you verify that later when you can, please? Thanks.
O.K.- Here's the deal with this shade. I didn't install it, but whoever did did a fine job- the snaps are all perfectly aligned- it's not loose, not exactly- but as I noted previously, this thing folds up like one of those sunshades. So it's sort of warped-looking. If it had Velcro all around the edges it would be all neat-looking. But it doesn't and it won't.

As others have posted in other threads, the skylight is tinted or polarized, so I'm not sure what the point of this shade is, UNLESS you want some shade while you have the skylight removed(in the EX version only, I think...?) in which case it would work fine. I reckon it might rustle around in the breeze some....

At first I thought it would be effective as a bug screen as well, but I think most skeeters et al. would manage to get in just fine. Plus, if you were sleeping in there in the summer I'd think you'd want a window open also and of course there ain't no window screens, far as I know....

As far as the resistance of the screen material to weathering in general and U.V. in particular, I can only guess by past experience with other synthetics that it wouldn't last forever if used a lot, but what does.....

And I guess that is about all I can usefully say about this subject. E Causatum, you're most welcome- like most folks I am happy to help as long as I'm not unduly inconvenienced and as long as I incur no financial obligations by so doing. Dang, I shoulda been a lawyer-pretty hybolic, right?:lol:

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Thanks for the info, daoud. I was actually kind of hoping they would act like a bug screen while the skylight was open. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
When I purchased the sunshade it came with a template , so this is real easy to install . Just hold it up and mark where the snaps go , dry fit with screen just to check , I still have the cardboard template if anyone needs it ,
Why I hold on to these things is beyond me...................

RUBY

·
Registered
115 Posts
Well, I can't see any reason why you couldn't add some extra snaps if you were doing a fresh install- that would tighten it up maybe enough to keep the bugs out.....I'm inclined to doubt it though- they're sneaky.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I too was hoping for more of a tighter fit, act more like a bug shield, guess i won't be getting one now, thanks so much for the pictures.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts