Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
they only lasted 45000 miles. I replaced them with BFGoodrich - Long Trail T/A® Tour from BJ's. Unfortunately, the jerk who put them on didn't tighten one of the valve stem cores, causing it to leak if I took the cap off. Rather than bring it back, I bought a wrench at Autozone (around $5) and made sure they were all tight. It seems that I took a hit in MPG, but the traction/grip of this tire is much better, plus there's a 60000 mile guarantee. I recently inflated all the tires to 37 psi (the max on the treadwall is 44), so we'll see if that helps my fuel mileage.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
How'd you manage to make the OEMs last that long? :)

While there's not proof, some of us think that Honda choose the Wranglers because they gave good gas mileage, even if it was at the expense of tread life.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

While there's not proof, some of us think that Honda choose the Wranglers because they gave good gas mileage, even if it was at the expense of tread life.

I probably should have replaced them sooner, because they looked bald to me, but a couple oil changes before I got new tires, the Honda dealer didn't seem too concerned about them. That last oil change, the tech came and told me the tires should really be replaced. I believe you're right, that Honda uses them for good gas mileage, thereby increasing their CAFE. The Bridgestones I had put on so far seem to be a much better set of tires.

·
12,179 Posts
I probably should have replaced them sooner, because they looked bald to me, but a couple oil changes before I got new tires, the Honda dealer didn't seem too concerned about them. That last oil change, the tech came and told me the tires should really be replaced. I believe you're right, that Honda uses them for good gas mileage, thereby increasing their CAFE. The Bridgestones I had put on so far seem to be a much better set of tires.

Unfortunately a lot of techs won't call tires because they hate replacing them. Most people think the last place they should be buy tires is at the dealer anyways. That has been changing over the last decade. Dealers are becoming more competitive when it comes to selling tires.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I took my OEM tires off at 22000kms and they were still at 80% tread...but that doesn't much matter as they were crap tires. I really like the Michelin LTX's that I replaced them with. They have better grip (in all conditions), smoother ride and make less noise. I haven't noticed any difference in gas mileage.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Mine came off at 3000 miles and I just gave them to a friend at work for his Rav4 with bald tires. I'm still trying to figure out why my E was nearly uncontrollable on the highway with those tires and his Rav4 seems to be okay with the things.

Switching off those tires was the best thing my E ever had. BTW, even at 3000 miles, all four tires had visible wear when they should've looked new.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Mine came off at 3000 miles and I just gave them to a friend at work for his Rav4 with bald tires. I'm still trying to figure out why my E was nearly uncontrollable on the highway with those tires and his Rav4 seems to be okay with the things.....
What year is the RAV4? I have a 97. It is much lighter than the Element, with recommended pressures of 28/26 psi (for same size tires). Steering is also stiffer, or better said, it gives less feedback. Also with less power (and default power to both axles), it is hard to spin the tires. Over all it has a very sure footed feel (except on snow where it isn't a directionally stable as the Element).

So I can see where a RAV4 could be more tolerant of worn tires.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I pulled my front GY's off at 30k and replaced them with BFGs. Haven't seen any decrease in mpgs.

The back GY's will come off this year, at this point i've got 61k on them, and still have tread.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
What year is the RAV4? I have a 97. It is much lighter than the Element, with recommended pressures of 28/26 psi (for same size tires). Steering is also stiffer, or better said, it gives less feedback. Also with less power (and default power to both axles), it is hard to spin the tires. Over all it has a very sure footed feel (except on snow where it isn't a directionally stable as the Element).

So I can see where a RAV4 could be more tolerant of worn tires.
The wear wasn't the issue with mine. The E wouldn't COULDN'T track a straight line with those tires at even normal highway speeds. Anything over 60 and you had to hang on to the steering for dear life and past 65 or so was a white knuckled adventure in terror. I had the alignment checked and found no issues, but switching off to Geolanders turned the vehicle back to a kitten at any speed. All I can say is that the sidewalls on the Goodyears were too thin and flexible for that short of a wheelbase. Upping the pressure on them to 45psi helped a little but not enough.

·
Registered
751 Posts

Probably the same way I plan to. Keep them inflated so the shoulder doesn't wear too fast, rotate them often and don't drive like a NASCAR racer. I've got 36k on the OEM tires and need to get through at least the summer with them.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
I also got 47500 on the original and they seemed to work fine. I replaced them with BFG's and now have 17,500 on the BFG's. I also took a hit to mpg of a mile or so per gallon. The BFG's do seem to be wearing very well and I expect to get the 60,000 miles with no problem.

Jerry

·
Registered
51 Posts
they only lasted 45000 miles. I replaced them with BFGoodrich - Long Trail T/A® Tour from BJ's. Unfortunately, the jerk who put them on didn't tighten one of the valve stem cores, causing it to leak if I took the cap off. Rather than bring it back, I bought a wrench at Autozone (around $5) and made sure they were all tight. It seems that I took a hit in MPG, but the traction/grip of this tire is much better, plus there's a 60000 mile guarantee. I recently inflated all the tires to 37 psi (the max on the treadwall is 44), so we'll see if that helps my fuel mileage.
I'm impressed. I just replaced my oem tires after 18,000 miles. They had some serious hydroplaning issues at anything above 50 mph after about 12,000 miles and I am pretty religious about keeping the pressure set correctly and rotating them a couple times a year.
I replaced them with General Grabber hts tires and have been quite happy with them so far. Granted, they're new, but I definitely see a marked improvement in wet and snow traction.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I had my stock tires siped and they preformed two seasons in the snow and I got a good 50K from them. I know the sipe helped in the snow and they are supposed to run cooler in the summer. It only was a few $/tire.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I got about 51,000 miles on my OEM tires with no complaints (I just replaced them the other day). They always tracked nicely and I got good performance in a coast to coast and back road trip. They gripped pretty well on ice and snow too. No complaints here.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update

Now my E is up over 160,000 miles. About 5000 miles ago, I replaced the tires for the fourth time since I've owned it. I replaced the Nokians (that had replaced the Bridgestones) with another set of Nokian tires. I think the biggest issue I have is having to commute through Hartford CT to go to work :x On longer trips, especially when there aren't tons of hills, I've gotten 24 to 26 on the highway.

·
Registered
476 Posts
i really considered Nokians but so few places carry them if you
ever had a flat that couldn't be repaired you would have to wait
several days to have one shipped.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i really considered Nokians but so few places carry them if you
ever had a flat that couldn't be repaired you would have to wait
several days to have one shipped.
There's a local shop close to me that carries Nokian tires. I've had pretty good experience with this shop, so I keep going there. The tires work pretty well too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts