Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you know, if it is marked, what is the ohm of the stock tweeter? My grandfather used to own a speaker wholesale buisness for 37 years until he passed on, which I was supposed to take over until my grandmother sold it without even talking to me, sorry to rant, still mad after 10 years. As I was saying, lol, I have a ton of different speakers laying around and I have a pair of awesome tweets that are Bose 1" silk dome tweeter with a 2 1/2 magnet and I was thinking of running them in the pillers, just gonna cut out the stock grille and mount them on the outside and use speaker felt with trim rings to cover them. They are 8ohm with a 3k crossover, they can handle 80 watts rms, I just want to use the stock amp and door speakers for now(I can't hear the stock ones due to a birth defect in my ears, they do not work to me) until I have time and money to install one of the many old school rockford amps I have laying around, like my extra 40i dsm.
Thanks,
Steve-O.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I would say the stockers are most likely 4 ohm units.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dang, that just makes it more difficult, thanks guys, looks like I am holding off on this idea for a while.
Later
Steve

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
This will probably take the least amount of work.

pull off the passenger side kick panel that covers the factory amp and disconnect the plug coming out of it.

pull off the cover over your door speaker, unscrew speaker and disconnect the plug going to it. use a multimeter and take a reading at that speaker plug to see what you get.

You should be reading the tweeter's resistance since the door speaker and tweeter come off the same channel of the amp and just split off at some point.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
they are 4 ohms steve. it says it right on the bracket that the factory ones are attached to, and because i trust nothing i took the meter to it and sure enough...hope that helps to know for sure.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Yoda, I appreciate that. I have decided to just take my 1hour used Pioneer t/s components out of my camaro, I only drive that about 500 miles a year, regular door speakers will be fine because I really never listen to the radio when I am in it, 436hp sounds better going through my pretty much straight pipe.

Over christmas shut down I am going to take the speaker covers off and pull out my some 1/4" mdf at my dads house, make some rings, use some extra fleece from my wife's blankets she has made and do some custom ones, I just gotta get resin but what is the best top coat to use? My bud chris owns a paint shop and has a copper that matches the copper accents in my E, he is gonna paint them for free, then I am gonna throw my rockford 4080dsm or my newer rockford t400-4 to them, cant decide yet on that. I can't afford new components and the pioneer's sounded excelent with the correct amount of power going through them, so well see what happens.

One last question, is there a better way to mount the tweeters to help the sound stage without drilling holes in the upper door? Any suggestions would be great.

Later
Steve

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
The stock location isn't bad but it isn't the greatest either. If you don't want to make holes (which I don't blame you) then the stock location can be used along with some sound processing type device (way too many to list but audio control and alpine make some nice ones)

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the deq-p7000 which you can adjust everything but time alignment, I want to upgrade to the 8000, when I get some money, its nice with the 5.1 for sure, and the different sound fields, it does help. I am just trying to do this cheap with what materials I already have or can get cheap, if my wife was working, I would go all out.

Also, what kind of bondo/top coat should I use after the fiberglass, thanks yoda!!!
Steve

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
After the fiberglass use duraglass made by USC. It mixes like body filler with a cream hardener. Then a light weight filler like rage (similar to bondo)

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got the rings cut(thanks to my dad), now I just have to take the time to play with the sound stage/angle I want them at, nothing like an old 6.5" hooked up to the garage radio, hopefully it works.

And no to the question above, I just have speakers, no grilles.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know what tweeters are and do, that picture looks like a grille only, but I know I have nothing motorla, its mainly Bose, Sony, MTX, and Rockford Fosgate, some Pioneer too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts