Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My wiring idea would be to connect a new relay to the same circuit that activates the rear defrost, then a separate switch would not be necessary.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I miss my heated mirrors from my old Chevy S-10, but the installation instructions look brutal to say the least for the aftermarket heaters for the mirrors.

I want to encourage Honda in every way I can to put on heated mirrors for those of us in the colder, damper climes.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Great thread, and great info!

Here's some more. The rear defogger relay is fed from under hood fuse #11, which is always hot. It's a 20 amp fuse, but neither manual says how much current the defogger is supposed to draw. I suppose I could throw an ampmeter on it to check. I also didn't see any current requirements on the mirror heater pieces.
If you do this, you might want to start with the drivers side first. The replacement mirror is $8, while the passenger side is $50!.
If you wanted to be really trick, the power mirror connector has 3 unused positions that could be the mirror heat connections.

While I would love mirror heat, I may just wait a while. I keep hoping some aftermarketer will come out with bolt-on replacements, that are bigger, as well as heated.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
until you get heated mirrors....

after cleaning your mirror... use some liquid soap and wipe down the mirror with it... wait until it hazes and then wipe it off with another DRY towel/cloth until it's clear.... the soap will prevent condensation on the mirror, so they'll be fog-free for up to two weeks! (it works great in the bathroom too!)

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I didn't make any progress over the past day (something called work got in the way.) I haven't even checked the size yet!

I have a busted CRV mirror I plan on disassembling to get a good idea of how the innards are. I do recall that there are unused connector pins when I replaced the broken part a few years back.

I wonder if this will be an option (US or CA) for 2004? The easiest way would be a direct swap.

Yes, I'll be trying the driver's mirror first (wow! didn't know there was such a difference in price!) The driver's side is the one I need defrosted the most anyway because of pulling out on the highway early in the morning.

Thanks for the hints so far. I've been thinking of trying a freezer bag and a rubber band in the meantime :eek:

·
Registered
351 Posts
This is what the mirror looks like from behind.

You have to heat it a little to soften the black glue on the back, and gently pry it up from the bottom. The opening is about 3x4, so you'll need to remove the mirror from the mount, glue the heater to the mirror, and reattache the mirror to the mount. I'm not sure what type of glue to use. To dissolve the glue, maybe mineral spirits?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts