Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We pulled the trigger on a trailer! It's an 08' Sidekick that was overstock that ended up in the bargain bin when the manufacturer went out of business. The MSRP was $14,035 and we STOLE it for $4999. I am so freakin' happy we took our time and shopped around. We almost bought a 09' Aliner Expedition scratch & dent for $9995 but, it just didn't feel right for us. I looked at online listings till my eyes hurt and it paid off. We found our new rig at Pleasureland RV in St. Cloud, MN. They still have a few of these left and they are cheap.
So here it is, all twelve feet!

Attachments

·
Registered
394 Posts
Good for you and the FAMILY.
Now go camping.......I mean RV-ing....:lol:

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Good to see your doing well, Bryon! That should make camping with a youngster easy. No excuses, now you have to be at the regionals:D

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
It looks beautiful, so how come I keep expecting to see a shelf under that side window with "SNOW CONES $1" painted above? :D

Hmmpf! I am jealous... How much does that thing weigh?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got the 20" HD LCD and DVD player installed yesterday. We also picked up a chemical potty and a NuCool fridge. The fridge weighs 20lbs, is refrigerant free and only uses the same power as a 60 watt light bulb but, I need to install a weather proof vent in the side of the trailer.
The trailer is 1400 lbs dry with a 220 lb tongue weight. The Element only squats 1 1/4" with two full LP tanks. It pulls very nice, no sway at all, even in 25+ mph head winds BUT, I didn't go over 55 and the mpg dropped to 14 down from the average 19-20mpg unloaded. I expect to get a little better mileage around here where it isn't wide open and windy. Maybe the kayaks on the roof will make the rig a little more aerodynamic eh. There are electric brakes and a break away cable. In Minnesota only trailers over 3000 lbs. require brakes and over 6000 lbs. need break away devices so this little unit is safety overkill. I played with the brake controller and found that the Element has braking power to spare on flat ground. The trailer does make it's self known going down hills though and the electric brakes were nice.

Spotman, that is one of the trailers with the front bunk and no heater. We put a bid in for a trailer with the front bunk and a heater but, that trailer was listed wrong so they gave us this trailer with no front bunk but it has dual LP, 16000 btu furnace, microwave, fridge ready compartment, cheap-o stereo, and a missing entry step for the same price. I think this one was listed at $7500. They do still have two twelve footers with no heat and two sixteen footers loaded, one in camo even.

I will post some interior pics as soon as I find my camera. I thought I took it in the garage but, I might have left it on the roof and drove to work.:oops:

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found the camera. It was not in the garage or on my roof, it was in the diaper bag.:confused:

Here are some interior shots.

Bonus points if you can name the movie playing on the TV.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
507 Posts
nice little trailer...nice deal too...

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got off my lazy butt and built a spare tire carrier last night. Now the spare doesn't have to ride inside the trailer. Now if I can get around to making one for the Element's.:D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
154 Posts
Nice camper/deal

Nice camper and deal. You also did a good job on the spare mount. I noticed your front brush guard ( I think thats what you call it) Was that made especially for the Elements or could/did it fit something else. I have one for a Nissan pathfinder that I was going to put on My Volkswagen van but I'm wondering if it will fit the E ?

Best MoonDrop

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
MoonDrop,
Thanks. I originally bought the steel to build swing away spare carriers for the Elements, one 1 1/4" and one 2". Some day I might get around to it.
As for the brush guard.
It's an Aries Offroad one piece and it is Element specific. It fits really well and is a breeze to install. Hunter makes a less expensive three piece brush guard that is basically the same thing, just in three pieces.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Memorial Day weekend.

We had a great time at Serpent Lake Campground in Crosby. The trailer towed smooth and easy on the 418 mile round trip. The fridge worked great and we found out 11 gallons of water does not last long. The tire carrier and the entry step held fast despite my ugly welds.
Here are some pics of the boats, camp site and our beautiful little girl. It was Libby's first time in a kayak and she was so amused she fell asleep 25 ft. from shore! It was also her first time swimming with her dayglow white papa in a lake.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Wow, that is a really nice looking trailer for the money... although I'm going to wait and see how you're liking it after a year or two before upgrading to that weight class... because that thing looks WAY heavier than what I currently feel comfortable pulling behind my E. I would guess that trailer is well over 2,000 lbs (I guess I felt like I was 'pushing it' with my '900 lb dry weight' Scamp which TOPS OUT at nearly 1,500... and I don't have near the number of bells and whistles you have).

Continue to keep us updated!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Stargazer. It weighs in at just a tick under 1500lbs stocked for a three day weekend. I missquoted the dry tongue weight earlier though at 200lbs. It is actually 165lbs dry and 185lbs loaded.
It pulls swell if there is no head wind. In 30 mph gusts we averaged 14mpg. :shock: I'm actually impressed with the E since I know people with v6 vans that get worse mileage dragging pop-ups.
I definately wouldn't try crossing N. Dakota and Montana with all the wide open roads and high winds but, it will be OK around here on the cow paths where we live until I get a Ridgeline in the next year or two. That is if the steel market recovers.:-(

1 - 20 of 48 Posts