Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's right, yet another silly project taking place in my garage. I'm building a longboard. So far I've laminated three layers of bamboo veneer together, burned in a minor detail, and started fiberglassing. I'm out of town for the weekend but I'm guessing that I'll get around to cutting it out on Monday. I'm going for ~36 - 40" in length and a width of around 9".

·
Registered
82 Posts
Jeez...

I was reading your entry and thinking you must be a tiny surfer. I remember when longboards were 8 feet long and were for surfing...good luck with your skateboard project.:cool:

·
Registered
4 Posts
cool

hmmm....i think i saw this on silverfish. I'm glad I'm not the only longboard-skateboard rider and builder with element. :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's done! I decided I didn't have the patience for the marine varnish I was planning on putting on and settled for fast dry satin poly, five coats on the bottom and three on the top.

I just got back from riding it the three miles around the lake near my house. Before I tell you my thoughts on the ride I feel compelled to mention that in the last 15 years I've been on a total of two skateboards, this one and a friends Sector 9 that I rode over the weekend, so my opinion shouldn't really mean all that much. The S9 was scary sketchy, way to flexy and felt like I was stand on a handrail, this board is far more stable and less flexy. With my weight on it it flexes to almost perfectly flat. I wish I'd put a little bit of camber in the deck but I'm very happy with it none the less.

adrian08 - the bamboo came from Bamboo Hardwoods, a local company here in Seattle. 1/8" veneer damaged pieces can be had for $1 per sf.

·
Registered
507 Posts
nice job.....brings back memories of growing up...

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
I have not built a board since high school, and I won't say how long ago that is, but this v.7 looks beautiful! Is there a support piece/plate underneath?

You should sell these! Nice work.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have not built a board since high school, and I won't say how long ago that is, but this v.7 looks beautiful! Is there a support piece/plate underneath?

You should sell these! Nice work.
Thanks for the compliment. There's a 3" wide purpleheart stringer running the length of the deck and I am selling these. The future builds are spoken for all the way up to #14.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts