Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The only camping wifey and I can do this summer is on three day holiday weekends.
We'll be going to Lake Tahoe for the Forth of July and come Labor Day Week End..
you'll find me hammering tent pegs at the Oh! Ridge campground, above June Lake in Mammoth Lakes area.

I just booked campsite 008 in the Bear Loop section of the campground - elevation 7,600 ft.
At the moment there are still many campsites available at Oh! Ridge for anyone who wants to join us for the week end.

Yesterday Oh! Ridge had 134 campsites available - today there are 99 left.
The remaining campsites will go quickly, so if you're interested in this, go bag a site while you still can.

Oh! Ridge is located in Inyo National Forest, on the less traveled, but equally jaw-dropping, Eastern slopes of the Sierras off of US 395 north of Bishop.
The area has a tremendous amount of great things going for it.
Yosemite's Tioga Pass, 1 million year old Mono Lake, Bodie Ghost Town, Devils Postpile NM, Ansel Adams Wilderness, Ellery Lake, Lee Vining, Bishop, Conway Summit,
and tons of other lakes, rivers and streams for fishing and swimming, along with outstanding kayaking on Mono Lake and some of the best hiking trails in the Sierras.

Oh! Ridge Campground: http://www.395.com/index.php/visitors/195-campgrounds/june-lake/484-oh-ridge-campground
Reservations: www.recreation.gov

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
This way cool!! The family and I are actually camping June Lake 8-10 June. On my list if things to do was both hit Mono Lake and Bodie!! I also hear there are done old volcanoes before Mono lake. Videos were cool mad me even more excited!!

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Burtch,

On your way up 395 through Bishop (if you haven't planned to already) you must stop at Erik Schats Danish Bakkery.

Try the Chili Cheese Bread (to-die-for-delicious! I'll buy 3 loaves of this heavenly stuff just to take camping)
Everything baked at Schatts is wonderful and they bake about 400 different kinds of breads and pasteries.
Great sandwiches and crazy good Gelato too!

ERIK SCHATS>>> http://www.yelp.com/biz/erick-schats-bakkery-bishop-2?start=320

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Ellie & Co.
Ok so we just got back last night and I'm already geared to go back!! Such a gorgeous place!! The family wants to go back asap so we are about 99% sure we will be joining you. Here is a list of what we did in 2 days in the area:
1. Devils Postpile NM (Mammoth Lakes)
2. Rainbow Falls Trail (Mammoth Lakes)
3. Mono Lake (Lee Vining)
4. June Lake Raft Adventure (June Lake)
5. Bristle Cone Forest (Inyo National Forest)

Yes it was a blast, and I still didn't get to go to the Manzanar Japanese Camp from WWII or Fossil Falls. So I'm going to be seeing if we can't book it and hit those up. Keep ya posted

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ellie & Co.
Ok so we just got back last night and I'm already geared to go back!! Such a gorgeous place!! The family wants to go back asap so we are about 99% sure we will be joining you. Here is a list of what we did in 2 days in the area:
1. Devils Postpile NM (Mammoth Lakes)
2. Rainbow Falls Trail (Mammoth Lakes)
3. Mono Lake (Lee Vining)
4. June Lake Raft Adventure (June Lake)
5. Bristle Cone Forest (Inyo National Forest)

Yes it was a blast, and I still didn't get to go to the Manzanar Japanese Camp from WWII or Fossil Falls. So I'm going to be seeing if we can't book it and hit those up. Keep ya posted

I was wondering how your trip went. Sounds like you guys had an awesome time!
How did you like Mono Lake? The Postpile is so cool!
2 days just isn't enough is it?

Gotta do Bodie Ghost Town, Tioga Pass and did you stop at Erick Shats Danish Bakkery in Bishop?

Got any pics? I'd love to see them.
I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope to see you at Oh! Ridge for Labor Day Week End!

there's still a lot of campsites available at Oh! Ridge too

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Didn't see yer post about Erik Bakery until yesterday. However we did see the place in Bishop when we stopped for a Pizza Factory visit. Bodie, Fossil Falls, and Manzanar Camp are all on tap next visit. Mono was awesome!! Myself and n youngest actually got in the water, so much fun. I do have pics and will post soon.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Ell
Hit the 2nd link and go to page 2 for pics and post in my trip

Nice pics Burtch. Very commendable.
And what a handsome family you guys are!

Mono is so cool. Glad you got to spend some time there.
I'm sure your kids (both boys?) will thoroughly enjoy Bodie Ghost Town next time around.
And be sure to stop at Erick Schats Bakkery in Bishop the next time you're cruising 395 - you guys will love it.
Once you've been to Erick Schats you'll never drive through Bishop again without stopping.

Hope to see you guys at Oh! Ridge. :)

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Ellie
Tried to book a site near you but it says that only a few are available online. Does that meani have to call? We have one Ghost town(Randsburg) under our belt and we'd like Bodie next!!

There's a few (3) sites available in the BEAR LOOP at the campground.
#2, #15, and #19. Still showing another 90 sites "available" as well.
We did our reservations on line, but you can always call for a reservation too. 1-877-444-6777

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
we just got back from camping in the area (devils postpile campground- very small and quiet, flushers, great river access) and stopped at the schats bakery second location in mammoth lakes. man, those baked goods are some of the best we have ever eaten! of course, we knew that if it was recommended by miss ellie, it had to be good!
we also visited bodie- super cool even though it was over 90 degrees walking around there. bring a sun hat and plenty of water. the E's temp guage even moved a bit on the dirt road drive out there.
we visited manzanar after our last death valley eoc meet- it is definately should be on everyone's list of must-see museums. excellent exhibit, very informative for a range of ages.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I just booked campsite 008 in the Bear Loop section of the campground - elevation 7,600 ft.
At the moment there are still many campsites available at Oh! Ridge for anyone who wants to join us for the week end.

I just tried to book but exactly which camp ground will you be? I don't see any reference to "bear loop".

Etta

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

I just tried to book but exactly which camp ground will you be? I don't see any reference to "bear loop".

Etta

Etta site #15 and 19 are the two remaining campsites available in the BEAR loop.
Book either one.

The Oh! Ridge campground is sectioned off into loops named after critters..BEAR, DEER, etc.
No need to worry about the names of the loops, go by the site numbers instead. :)

·
Registered
318 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Hello my camping buddies, I am back....lots of things happened this past year. Moved, got a new job, and got engaged. I will be joining on you guys on this trip with the fiancee and the dogs. It will be her first camping trip, so if she likes it, perhaps we can try to make it to DV 2014. Booked site #15 on Bear loop, arriving Friday and leaving Monday

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Hello my camping buddies, I am back....lots of things happened this past year. Moved, got a new job, and got engaged. I will be joining on you guys on this trip with the fiancee and the dogs. It will be her first camping trip, so if she likes it, perhaps we can try to make it to DV 2014. Booked site #15 on Bear loop, arriving Friday and leaving Monday
Yeah James!
Your presence and deft culinary skills were missing at Death Valley this year.
So good to hear bout all these wonderful changes in your life. :)
Richelle and I look forward to seeing you and meeting your fiancée.. and those dogs. :eek:die::eek:die:

CYA Labor Day @ Oh!Ridge

·
Registered
549 Posts
I am excited as well! Hope to see a lot of familiar and new faces on this trip.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I'm looking forward to this trip. Lil' Bit will be joining me this time.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts