Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd been drooling over the prospect of swapping out my steering wheel for the Pilot's buttery leather wrapped gem, but I just couldn't win one on ebay. So a few weeks ago finally a 2005 Pilot SW popped up on the bay with a buy it now option for $50. So I just figured screw it, why leave things to chance, just buy it. The description had listed it as a 2005 and explained how it was sitting in it's box, in new condition. It was in new condition when I got it. Ohhhhhhhh it felt so good against my chubby little mitts. Of course working 70 some hours a week it took close to a month for my to attempt the swap. I printed Emass's instructions, bought a set of Torx sockets and I was ready to go. I pulled off the old wheel and disassembled it. I began to move the trim pieces to the Pilot wheel and ... they didn't fit. Geez it looked like it would work, so I broke out my dremel and trimmed the back cover to the steering wheel. I got that mounted to the new wheel and tried to install the weight but that wouldn't go, so I'm thinking, eh, I don't need no stinking weight, so I proceed to mounted the other trim pieces. That didn't work either. I knew I definately did not have a 2005 Pilot steering wheel. I already had a leather wrap on my old wheel, but it didn't fit that great. I had a bulge at the bottom and it had to go. I had wrapped the steering wheels on my previous 3 or 4 cars so I have done it successfully in the past more than once. So I tried to remount the trim pieces on my old element steering wheel, but I couldn't get those back on until I cut off the leather wrap. So I finally got my old element steering wheel back on. The back cover has two holes in it where I cut it to make the Pilot wheel fit. I've got cut marks from my dremel because I actually had to cut off the wheelskin I had on it and now it's crooked. So I have to take the wheel off AGAIN to straighten it out. I know, I need ed to find a 2003 to 2005 Pilot steering wheel, but the desciption on ebay specifically stated thet it was in fact a 2005. Now I've got to try and return it and get my money back. It cost $50. for the wheel, another $20 for S&H, $17 for the Torx sockets and two hours of my time. Not to mention my E is worse off now that it was. I'll try to get another back cover to replace the one I cut too. I think I'll just make a trip to the junkyard and see if there are any 2005 Pilots there. :neutral:

·
12,178 Posts
A quick search brought up some threads that stated a 2005 pilot wheel will not work on the E and that only the 2003-2004 Pilot wheel will work with out having to change the trim pieces as well.Instead of trying to find another pilot wheel.....have you checked the cost of trim pieces for a pilot wheel?

·
Registered
8,753 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
lizzurd said:
A quick search brought up some threads that stated a 2005 pilot wheel will not work on the E and that only the 2003-2004 Pilot wheel will work with out having to change the trim pieces as well.Instead of trying to find another pilot wheel.....have you checked the cost of trim pieces for a pilot wheel?
Lizzurd's right Gibroni. You can make the 05 wheel work, but you'll need Pilot trim pieces. Also, as you found out, you'll need to remove a little material from the casting on the weight balancer. Your Dremel will make short work of this. Everything else should go back together.

Oh, it'll be one tooth off. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
08V97-S9V-111A is the part # on the box. I ran it through the search and it came up product #2310841, which came up as a steering wheel but didn't provide a vehicle model. The price on this was also $377.30 which is way over the price of the other steering wheels their. I'm kinda shocked the SW are priced @ $77. If I knew which one to get I'd just buy the damn thing there. I need to try and return this one first but I should find out exactly which one I have. Hmmm, thinking about it, the box is probably from the Wood upgrade wheel...

... is there a number on the wheel itself I should look for?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The wheel damper (weight) doesn't need to be trimmed it's the piece of steel where the screw holes are, it's not long enough. The wheel plate is shaped differently. The key to all of this is to finding out exactly what it is that I have.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I matched the number on the box I have and it's for the 2006 Pilot wood SW upgrade. So this leads me to believe that I have a 2006 leather Pilot SW.

·
Registered
508 Posts
gibroni said:
The wheel damper (weight) doesn't need to be trimmed it's the piece of steel where the screw holes are, it's not long enough. The wheel plate is shaped differently. The key to all of this is to finding out exactly what it is that I have.
That's right. You need to trim the bottom of the weight slightly.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have a question

Please check out this link and confirm that the wheel pictured will not fit an E.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-Pilot-Steering-Wheel-OEM-Fits-05-07-NIB_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33704QQihZ013QQitemZ230152984112QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I saw this on ebay and it could help some of us DYI'ers out if we had confirmation. I bought one a while back and haven't installed it yet. the one I purchased does not look like this.

it's hard to tell, but I think the one I got looks like this. but mine is stripped down

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-PILOT-BLACK-STEERING-WHEEL-S649_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33704QQihZ008QQitemZ180139875354QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW#ebayphotohosting

Please advise

I we can confirm which one fits, and mine is the right one. I'll post a pic to help others choose in the future
thanks

Mitch

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi what size socket do I need to remove steering wheel? I may attempt to pull a Pilot leather steering wheel if I can find one at a you pull type scrap yard, thank you

1 - 13 of 13 Posts