Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, two questions...

First - Oil change interval 5000 miles?...really?...REALLY??? I always use casterol GTX and a wix filter at 3500 but in these tough economic times can I push to 5000?

Second - I got my element on the lift and rotated the tires and discovered no lug torque specs anywhere. I set them for 73 because that is what my wifes Subaru takes. Any one know the proper setting?

·
12,178 Posts
Hey, two questions...

First - Oil change interval 5000 miles?...really?...REALLY??? I always use casterol GTX and a wix filter at 3500 but in these tough economic times can I push to 5000?

Second - I got my element on the lift and rotated the tires and discovered no lug torque specs anywhere. I set them for 73 because that is what my wifes Subaru takes. Any one know the proper setting?

I have always chaged mine at 5000. You will get differing opinions on intervals.

Wheel nut torque is 80 ft/lbs.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Oil Change Interval

I have been changing my oil and filter at 3500 mile intervals only because the internals of the engine cannot tolerate any kind of buildup, varnish, etc. The VTC oil control valve and the timing chain tensioner I am told do not tolerate any of the aforementioned. It may be a little overkill but I have nearly 75K on the clock without any engine issues. She just purrs like a kitten:)
Jackster

·
Registered
512 Posts
Ok I just got my E-SC and have about 300 miles on it already. Been driving it slow not going over the speed limit 65 MPH. Now what is that break in period? I usually go 500 miles then change the oil and start my 3500 mile interval. Do any of you recommend using synthetic oil over conventional oil? I want to start using Mobil 1. From what I understand one of the benefits of using synthetic is that the engine work less and thus save fuel. The second is better wear on the piston and rings. I tend to have a heavy foot and have to get used to the DBW on the car.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Ok I just got my E-SC and have about 300 miles on it already. Been driving it slow not going over the speed limit 65 MPH. Now what is that break in period? I usually go 500 miles then change the oil and start my 3500 mile interval. Do any of you recommend using synthetic oil over conventional oil? I want to start using Mobil 1. From what I understand one of the benefits of using synthetic is that the engine work less and thus save fuel. The second is better wear on the piston and rings. I tend to have a heavy foot and have to get used to the DBW on the car.
Your breaking new ground with these questions. Might be hard to get a clear answer as this is unexplored territory.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
should we assume your comment was facetious? <grin>
i'm pretty sure i've seen this topic covered before.

anyway, the usual procedure for Honda engine break-in is to use a variety of engine speeds, don't ever lug the engine, wind it up occasionally (more so as you approach first change interval) and don't change the oil 'til the first recommended change.

surely this is covered in the owners manual.

Your breaking new ground with these questions. Might be hard to get a clear answer as this is unexplored territory.

·
Registered
512 Posts
should we assume your comment was facetious? <grin>
i'm pretty sure i've seen this topic covered before.

anyway, the usual procedure for Honda engine break-in is to use a variety of engine speeds, don't ever lug the engine, wind it up occasionally (more so as you approach first change interval) and don't change the oil 'til the first recommended change.

surely this is covered in the owners manual.
I am just trying to take care of the car the best I can. The reason I would change the oil is because of the metal shaving that build up during the brake-in period. Isn't why they call it "brake-in"? I know that it's nothing to lose sleep over but better safe than sorry. At any rate after that I would change the oil around 5k.

Thanks for the tip tho!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts