Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
there is NO reason with modern engines and modern oil to have to change every 3k or so (unless you are driving the car balls out EVERY mile...). i'll be changing mine every 10k just like the manual states, and i'm sure you could go even longer on a change.

on a more interesting note.....anyone notice how the manual says to change the engine oil filter every 20k? it says to change the oil at 10k, and to change the oil and filter at 20k (40k, 60k so on....)

yeah........won't be doing that.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm an old guy who believes in the 3,000 miles or 3 months whichever comes first rule. Oil changes are cheap and quick and changing oil more frequently isn't such a bad thing. 8)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[quote:b5eb9fd8e4=" "]I'm an old guy who believes in the 3,000 miles or 3 months whichever comes first rule. Oil changes are cheap and quick and changing oil more frequently isn't such a bad thing. 8)[/quote:b5eb9fd8e4]

depends on the oil...they've done some tests on some of the synthetics out there and found that the LONGER you leave the oil in, the better it works (up to a point...around 18,000 miles...).

every 3000 is old news.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Heh, just on the opposite side of being a good car-daddy, I didn't change the oil on my BMW until 18,000 had passed... Although that's when the car TOLD me when to change it. And it still came out looking fine (not cruddy).

But that was a lease... :shock: I'll be changing my E's oil at 10k like a good boy.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[quote:5a6495e0fd=" "]Heh, just on the opposite side of being a good car-daddy, I didn't change the oil on my BMW until 18,000 had passed... Although that's when the car TOLD me when to change it. And it still came out looking fine (not cruddy).

But that was a lease... :shock: I'll be changing my E's oil at 10k like a good boy.[/quote:5a6495e0fd]

bwm's are smart and have an oil quality monitoring system. i'd be fine if it told me 18k. i think the german engineers who designed the system know best, just like the honda engineers who recommend every 10k for the E.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Oil Change?

Hey-I must be reading this wrong but it looks like to me that the manual says to change the oil every 10,000 miles. I've always done it every 3,000 on every other car I've had. Also, the manual says you MUST use honda oil, brake fluid, etc. Thoughts? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Re: Oil Change?

Hey-I must be reading this wrong but it looks like to me that the manual says to change the oil every 10,000 miles. I've always done it every 3,000 on every other car I've had. Also, the manual says you MUST use honda oil, brake fluid, etc. Thoughts? Thanks.

I get mine done ever 3000 miles
Better safe than sorry :)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Re: Oil Change?

every 10k is right, unless you are driving under severe conditions - then it's every 5k.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Oil Change Schedule???

Just a bit confused on the oil change maintenance schedule. In my manual, it says that an oil change is recommended every 10K miles. My service guy at the Honda Dealer says it should be every 3750K miles. Most of the threads I have read on this site say every 5K miles. Does anyone know what the actual maintenance schedule is for oil changes? I bought my E in Sept 05 and have around 6500 miles on it. I would appreciate any comments.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Re: Oil Change Schedule???

The dealer will tell you anything to make sure you keep giving them money for servicing.

If you follow the recommended maintenance in the owners manual, you've done your due diligence. In the unlikely event that something did go wrong it would have to be covered under warranty by law.

Doing oil changes, etc. more frequently than recommended is never a bad thing, but following the owners manual is sufficient.

·
Registered
694 Posts

The dealership that I go to "recommends" a more frequent schedule for maintenance than the owners manual. Follow the owners manual and your fine. Although I prefer the additional oil change at the 5k, 15K etc. intervals on top of what the manual states.

I clearly point out when I take it in that I want service I want done "per the manual" so it doesn't get mixed up with their "recommended" intervals.

·
Registered
49 Posts

I wonderd the same thing, as a old motorhead I was shocked at 10k oil change in the manual. My dealer gave me another printed maintence sheet from Honda :roll: and it stated oil change at 5k and I think that is what I will do, the service is only $ 20 and also being in Phx I think it is cheap ins.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts

Mine has the dealer's little sticker saying I should go @ 3250.

Like many people, I drove outside the "local" area (local in Dallas-Fort Worth is a nebulous concept) to get a better deal. Do they really think I'm driving an hour to get my oil changed there?

5K sounds like a good plan. Easy to remember, within the manual recommendations.

·
Registered
751 Posts

You're going to get all kinds of answers from your request and you can do a search and get all sorts of answers there too. I personally am going to take Honda up on the 10K. I'm at 20K now and have only done two changes. In my previous cars which had no where near the generous spacing, I've always done around 7-8K between changes and they were just fine. There is even talk among some of the Europeans of 15-20K changes, but I think I might not go that far. I am considering just changing my filter at the 5K mark and topping it off this round. I'm using mobil1 and the Napa Gold filter at the moment, but I should really get off my duff and order some A01's from Trevor.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts

Just had mine done today, and it was near the 10k mark. That said, I'm not certain if I'll stick w/ 10k, or drop to 5k intervals. As was mentioned earlier, it's not like more frequent changes would be a bad thing. Along w/ that, need to figure out if I want to stick w/ dino oil, go semi-synthetic (ran that in my GP), or full synth.

·
Registered
25 Posts

Notice that there are two maintainence schedules in the manual - normal and severe. Normal is 10,000 miles between oil changes, and severe is 5,000 miles. There is also a list of what constitutes severe driving conditions - things like stop-and-go traffic, de-iced roads, and frequent short trips. Another interesting tidbit from the manual is that Honda recommends the severe schedule for all Canadian Elements. I'm in Minnesota so I'm going with the severe schedule.

·
Registered
165 Posts

I change my synthetic oil at 5K.
I remember one of my department's mechanics has a part time job at a large Honda dealer, change the trans fluid at 35K as well. No filter in the Honda so its tends to need it more than you think. I just did it at 15K due to the harsh driving conditions I put my E through. My peace of mind.

·
Registered
244 Posts

The guys that sold me his element works as engineer for honda doing tests. He said that doing more oil change than the required is a waste of money. He said I can do at 10k or 7.5k, but not more than that. And he told me to use regular castrol, penz or valvoline oil...no need for honda oil.

·
Registered
7 Posts
oil change

Well I have had my element for a month now and love it and I cant get enough of this website. Alot of great information. Was just wondering about the oil changing requirements. I think the service manual calls for every 1 year or 10,000 miles. This seems like alot. Is this the number most people are going by. Does anyone think every 3,000 miles is better or to much. Thanks for any comments.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Re: Oil change at every 3000 miles?

If you are using a synthetic, you shouldn't need to change it at 3000 miles. Synthetic costs more because it lasts longer. If you are using synthetic but changing it like it is standard oil, you are just throwing money away. There is nothing wrong with doing this, it's just a waste of money.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts