Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did my own oil change today using my neighbor's ramp and it went so smooth with no problems other than the mess it creates specially when you take the oil filter out. Other than that, it went okey. It was so easy and the ramp made a big difference. Will buy this kind of ramp next time. Ramp was wide and easy to use. Here's a picture of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
836 Posts
i bought a metal set of ramps on craigslist for 15 bucks, when i changed my oil it made it really simple.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forgot to state too that Bank 1 oxygen sensor and sensor 2 is accessible when using the ramp. So in case I do have problems with the oxygen sensor, I now know that it can be easily fixed.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have a set of Rhino Ramps similar to the ramps in your picture. I love them. Easy to use and make it quite a bit easier for under-vehicle maintenance (I use jack stands for wheel/brake stuff).

·
Registered
212 Posts
Ramps - We don't no stinkin' ramps.

Got 'em, but never used 'em on the Element. Plenty of ground clearance. Can't say the same for our Accord and Civic.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Got 'em, but never used 'em on the Element. Plenty of ground clearance. Can't say the same for our Accord and Civic.
Agree 100%. Plenty of room for me too sneak under there without jacking it up. And my driveway is a little slanted, oil drains out pretty well.

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
The oil filter is a PITA to get at. If you have long arms, you can remove it from above (mostly by feel, as it's very hard to see from there), from below (also difficult), or from the side with the passenger's-side tire off. I've done it all three ways, and none is a walk in the park. Try the side method first.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Using the ramp was the easiest for me. Unfortunately, my arms are short :-( and couldn't access it through the side and top.

·
Registered
836 Posts
even with my E on the ramps i still reach in through the top and tighten the filter down the rest of the way, (6'1" tall) i can't get the right angle when im underneath

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just changed the oil for the first time the other day since owning the E & you guys aren't kidding about the oil filter.

With all the technical nohow, why can't more manufacturers be like Subaru and place the oil filters on a horizontal plane so with nothing else around it so that oil doesn't end up all over the undercarriage, etc.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Oil Change

Did a first time oil change the other day. The driveway is on a slight angle so did w/o the ramps. Covered the under filter area with a plastic bag which caught most of the spill. Took the filter out from the top which was easy for me at 6' 1". Suggest a glove and long sleeve or take the heat. Much easier than anticipated. Thanks for all the help on the board. Take it from the top was very helpful. John

·
Registered
44 Posts
For oil changes, I just crawl under on a piece of cardboard, with the
proper size box end wrench, tap the bolt loose, and empty into the plastic
oil basin. For the filter, Im actually on my knees in the engine compartment,
reach down with a slip on filter wrench and loosen slightly. When you see it
drool down on the newspaper covered ground, I slide the oil basin under it.
When done, I go to the Brown Bear car wash, slip in a quarter and hot wash
the whole area clean.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I still dont know why people have problems with this! Use a jack and jack stands it takes about 1 min to jack up the car and put the front on stands. There are little tabs right behind the front mud flaps for your jack stands to go. I use a fram sure drain to change my oil so all I do is screw a length of tube to the drain plug and put the other end in an empty oil jug or milk jug. after it drains I put a normal oil pan under where the filter will drip down. I reach through the cutout in the passanger wheel well and anscrew the filter about half way untill the oil starts to drain out of it. When it stops you can unscrew it the rest of the way and remove it through the wheel well. It takes only a few mins and I never spill a drop. The wheel well is the best place to reach the oil filter. The real key is to use a Honda oil filter. It has a better gasket design thats impossible to put on too tight that it cant be removed by hand. So no filter wrench is ever required.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I still dont know why people have problems with this! Use a jack and jack stands it takes about 1 min to jack up the car and put the front on stands. There are little tabs right behind the front mud flaps for your jack stands to go. I use a fram sure drain to change my oil so all I do is screw a length of tube to the drain plug and put the other end in an empty oil jug or milk jug. after it drains I put a normal oil pan under where the filter will drip down. I reach through the cutout in the passanger wheel well and anscrew the filter about half way untill the oil starts to drain out of it. When it stops you can unscrew it the rest of the way and remove it through the wheel well. It takes only a few mins and I never spill a drop. The wheel well is the best place to reach the oil filter. The real key is to use a Honda oil filter. It has a better gasket design thats impossible to put on too tight that it cant be removed by hand. So no filter wrench is ever required.
What kind of jack do you use and where do you put it?

Those Honda scissor jacks are not very good for repeatative up / downs. I used to do that on my Civic until the jack stripped and failed.....Currently I use the ramps......

·
Registered
234 Posts
What kind of jack do you use and where do you put it?

Those Honda scissor jacks are not very good for repeatative up / downs. I used to do that on my Civic until the jack stripped and failed.....Currently I use the ramps......

No you dont use the jack that came with your car. You need a floor jack. There are many different ones on the market. I got mine from schucks on sale and it had a mail in rebate! I think I paid $20 for a 3 ton jack and jack stands when all way said and done but that was a great deal. You can buy jack stands at harbor freight for cheap.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=38846

They also sell floor jacks

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=34271

Those are both expensive right now they have sets of a jack and jack stands for sale at walmart, sears, costco ect. almost anywhere and sometimes on sale for cheap.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/s_10153_12605_Tools_Auto+&+Mechanics+Tools_Lift+Equipment+&+Jacks?sbv=Craftsman&sbf=Brand

You put the jack under the front of the element right in the middle. There is an arrow in the plastic bumper part that points right to the bump that you put the jack on. I put a thick towel on top of my jack to pad when I lift it up but it dosent really matter.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts