Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always done 3,000 mile oil changes. I know that is generally excessive with today's oil. So I am thinking about changing it up finally. Getting close to the 3,000 mile mark on my element now.

Using a non-synthetic oil, how many of you would feel comfortable going with a 5,000 mile interval? Driving conditions very average. 15 mile commute, general round town driving otherwise.

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
Oil, even standard dyno juice has gotten so much better over the years. The other reason why long term change intervals have been implemented by manufacturers is because of the better machining that's done to build the engines. There isn't any issue with 5,000 mile oil/filter intervals. You could even look into 7,500 and 10,000 intervals if you wanted. But with longer intervals then look into getting the oil analyzed to play it safe. No matter what interval you choose... change the filter and not just the oil.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm and old guy that grew up on 1K oil changes. Then' "WOW" 3000 mile changes. Then about 8 yrs. I switched to changing oil 5k t0 7k changes. The changes in technology over the yrs have been great so my Element gets 5k oil changes. I think it may be a little excessive but it makes me feel good. I do it myself.

My dealer recommends 3k changes because it's good for his wallet but not mine!! If they will scam you on the little stuff can you trust them on other recommendations?? I don't think so!!

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'm and old guy that grew up on 1K oil changes. Then' "WOW" 3000 mile changes. Then about 8 yrs. I switched to changing oil 5k t0 7k changes. The changes in technology over the yrs have been great so my Element gets 5k oil changes. I think it may be a little excessive but it makes me feel good. I do it myself.

My dealer recommends 3k changes because it's good for his wallet but not mine!! If they will scam you on the little stuff can you trust them on other recommendations?? I don't think so!!
5k without hesitation here.

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,629 Posts
I'm stuck doing the 3k lof due the fact that in 2 years its only gone 15,000 miles. The commute to work is 2 miles so it never gets warmed up enough to get the heater workin. This is severe conditions. 10k oil changes are ok if your running all day long.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Full Synthetic, 5K to 7K.
Used to wear by the 3K oil change- however oil has come a long way.

·
Registered
348 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
I know a guy with an E and he has 240,000 miles on it and he changes oil every 20k. He is in sales and does a few hundred miles a day.

from the thread:

1000 miles a week?? I do 700 a day. My little element hates me! LOL

240000 and still going!

Frank is correct, when you drive 240000 miles in 2.5 years a lot of ****
happens. A lady in a jetta for example. I t-boned her ass at 65 mph!!
Totaled a jetta, element, still going!! LOL shes not pretty but with that
many miles on her who cares.!!

It has been a rock solid ride and if my baby mama <- :) was comfortable in
the passenger seat I would buy an element SC. her legs are too short from
hip to knee though so without an adjustable seat base she isn't
comfortable.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I have a used oil analysis done on all my oil changes. Each time, they give me an "all's well" with low wear and a recommendation to extend interval to another 2000 miles.

I change my oil when I need to add a quart at about 9,000 to 11,000 miles, instead of adding to oil I'll change soon anyway... I only use Mobil 1.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts