Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bet Lon777 knows the answer to this:

Is there room for an oil filter that would be about 3 inches taller than the 80m ? I was reading an article on the benefits of using an oversized filter and I was wondering if there is clearance for a taller oil filter?

Thanks for any help..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Honda recommends using the same small filter that is on the CR-V (02)because there is a chance a larger filter could hit the driveshaft. You don't want to affect your warranty by using a non approved oil filter.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honda is saying you can use the older, larger filter or the newer, smaller one. I've read the bulletin from Honda. I was wondering about the driveshaft and anything else that might interfere with a bigger filter.

http://www.handaaccessories.com/elementmaint.html

and look at the note, if you click on that link you'll see a note to Honda Service Centers from Honda Headquarters.

The 65 mm is directly interchangeable with the 80 mm (or old Accord Oil Filter).

Source: Honda Service News September 2002

·
Registered
352 Posts
Using an oversized oil filter does have its advantages - namely more filtering media surface area. However, I wouldn't use one on any Honda product for the reason that Honda simply makes the best oil filters bar none. Talk to anyone who races Honda products and they will tell you the same. If you don't believe me cut a used one in half and compare it to something like a FRAM filter. They're simply far superior. I would think if a honda filter could withstand high performance usage, it could take anything we dish out in the street.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Honda oil filters are the best you can buy. No one designs engines like Honda, and if they say the small filter is fine, I'm sure it is... they've been using relatively tiny filters for a long time, and the bottom end of their engines almost NEVER go out. Although... they do say to change the filter only every 20,000, under normal driving conditions. This is INSANITY! FILTERS ARE CHEAP! I know they must know what they are talking about, but I refuse to have the oil changed and not the filter.

·
Registered
352 Posts
My main reason for sticking with the 80mm is because I have the proper size cup wrench.

·
Registered
3 Posts
NEVER use a Fram filter. Purolators are significantly better. Honda filters are great, just pricy. I've done considerable filter research, and I wouldn't be afraid to use Purolator. I've used them on all my Honda's, including my VFR750 race bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts