Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

So driving home today once I parked I notice a trail of oil coming from my 2007 Element.

Here are videos so you can see: Meet Google Drive – One place for all your files

It seems to have randomly started like a quarter mile from my house just coming around a corner on a smooth recently redone road.

The trail of oil is quite large and concerning, has anyone else experienced this before that could provide any insight?

Any help is appreciated! Going to try and take it into the dealership tomorrow.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2007 Element EX TRP
2,521 Posts
Recent oil change? Check oil filter and oil plug, top two places for leaks. If you can follow the oil trial, it should lead you to the culprit, before taking it to the dealer. You MUST track it down, or you may not make it to the dealer..... 🙁 😢
Good Luck!! :)

Reactions: Mike1953

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
1,120 Posts
Alaskan_Toaster is right on. If it is losing that much oil that quickly, and if you can't fix it or at least identify where it's coming from yourself, get it towed to your repair shop. That's cheap insurance versus possible very expensive engine damage.

When checking it out, start by looking at the oil pressure sending unit. It's located above your oil filter and below your VTEC solenoid on the back and passenger side of the engine. It's easier to look at it from under your hood.

Back in the stone age, during my days as a GM dealer mechanic, whenever a sudden and severe engine oil leak happened, it was usually the oil pressure sending unit. That was a long time ago, but the basic design and construction of the oil pressure sending unit hasn't changed much in 40 plus years.

Sorry but I couldn't open your link to see the video.

Is it engine oil? Transmission fluid? Also possibly Power Steering fluid? Check all of that out also.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both so much for the replies!

this link might work better for the video:

I’m going to try and find where the oil is coming from this morning - definitely will be getting it towed so I don’t risk anything :)

hopefully it’s a simple fix !

thanks!!

·
Premium Member
2007 Element EX TRP
2,521 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
1,120 Posts
With the red colored droplets, it appears to be your transmission fluid is leaking.

Either way, it's a wise choice to get it towed to the shop.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With the red colored droplets, it appears to be your transmission fluid is leaking.

Either way, it's a wise choice to get it towed to the shop.
I think you are right, it's definitely not oil.

The spot in the top left is what's leaking. to the right of that is transmission fluid from the dipstick. and the bottom is oil from the dipstick.

It almost looks a little darker than the transmission fluid. Could it possibly be radiator, or power steering?

Thanks!

·
Registered
MM 2005 EX, AT southwest WI
585 Posts
Radiator fluid unlikely by color, check for 'oiliness' between two fingers. I've never seen PS fluid that light, it usually is bourbon to coke color even after a fairly recent flush. You can easily check the reservoir levels on those fluids also. The only time I've had an ATF leak show up that quickly, thankfully not on the E, was a leak in the hydraulic lines at the external transmission filter or at the connections to the oil cooler in the radiator. Sudden, first drops then stream. Not impossible to see from above but pulling the plastic shield back enough to see from below isn't bad. Both are right at the bottom of the radiator. If that is it, could be a cheap fix assuming you caught it in time.

Good luck,

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Radiator fluid unlikely by color, check for 'oiliness' between two fingers. I've never seen PS fluid that light, it usually is bourbon to coke color even after a fairly recent flush. You can easily check the reservoir levels on those fluids also. The only time I've had an ATF leak show up that quickly, thankfully not on the E, was a leak in the hydraulic lines at the external transmission filter or at the connections to the oil cooler in the radiator. Sudden, first drops then stream. Not impossible to see from above but pulling the plastic shield back enough to see from below isn't bad. Both are right at the bottom of the radiator. If that is it, could be a cheap fix assuming you caught it in time.

Good luck,
Thanks for the insight! That sounds exactly like what happened to me, started as drips and turned into streams.

I’ll try and take a look at the bottom of the radiator when I get a break from work.

thanks again!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey everyone,

After the dealership being closed all of last week - I was finally able to take it in this morning on a tow truck.

They said the transmission fluid leak was caused by rodent damage to the transmission cooler hoses. $800 repair ouch.

I found a rodents nest on top of the engine a couple of months ago... does anyone have any suggestions to deter them away. I live way up in the canyons of so cal.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Good luck on an answer. Both my Element and my Rav4 suffer from constant chewing (The RAV4 is going in for a new wiring harness tomorrow due to too many repairs already) OUCH...
They started using wire made with soy-based insulation around the time of the Element and I confirm that the mice especially seem to find it tasty. The only thing I've found effective is to spray all exposed wiring with that spray on rubber you see on TV all the time. "Rodent repelling" spray lasts a few weeks IF that much and they always seem to find something you missed.
BTW - everyone uses that wiring now or something designed to be less appealing (in theory). You can't get away from the stuff unless you import a vehicle from China which causes other problems...

·
Registered
302 Posts
Honda sells a rodent tape, it’s apparently imbedded with some sort of super hot spice to deter them from chewing. Supposed to used for electrical wires. Not sure if it’ll work with hoses.

I sometimes go to Home Depot and pick up a rodent deterrent spray, which is supposed to contain wolf urine or something like that, that apparently rodents stay away from.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My God this is crazy? Where are you parking your car?
Not crazy. I have had this happen with multiple cars, the last being a Civic that my sons drove. It was simply parked in the driveway. The culprits most of the time here are squirrels but we've had mice too. As mentioned earlier the soy-based wiring insulation is apparently the tasty treat. The Civic also had a fuel line chewed through - my son ran out of gas a stoplight.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My daughter's boyfriend's Mustang had a bad rat-chew problem which required the engine pulled to fix the damage. They even chewed thru coolant lines up under the dash and got coolant all over the interior.

He's been using peppermint oil with good success. The Dirty Little Rats don't seem to like the minty-fresh smell.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts