Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a 2 months ago I had my oil changed and for about a day afterwards I had a few drops of oil on the driveway as usual than it would stop. But this time the oil drip hasn't stopped (after 2 months). I took it back to the service station who did the oil change and they checked it out, cleaned up any oil residue, checked around the oil filter, plug and saw nothing so they told me try this and see if it doesn't drip anymore. A few days later it started again, took it back checked it out again and couldn't find the problem. They asked if I could leave it with them for a day or two to further look into the problem but I couldn't leave it that particular day. It's only after I've driven the car and park it overnight. A drop or two of oil, not a lot. Has anyone experienced this?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Two frequent causes.

1. Old crush washer re-used (instead of new) on the drain plug, or left off completely.

2. Rubber gasket from the old oil filter remained stuck to the engine block, and went unnoticed, when the new filter was put on over top.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks mkh, one thing I forgot to add was that I ended up taking it to the dealer this time for an oil change to see if the leak would stop and it didn't. I guess though they could have also overlooked the gasket. I was wondering though, because it's just a small drip leak that started right after an oil change would that rule out a more serious problem, something major?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
My '05 Element had a VERY shallow dent in the oil pan ending at the drain hole. Every time I changed the oil- it would leak around the crush washer-or so I thought until I installed a Fumoto valve. The leak continued. Finally I cleaned the entire oil pan with lacquer thinner, then brake-clean. Found a damn crack in the oil pan under the paint. Oil squeezed under the paint to the edge of the drain hole.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts