Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2007 EX AWD AT; 2008 LX FWD AT
1,926 Posts
Clean the area as best you can (degreaser and power washer - avoid electrical connectors and components), then inspect the area after driving it some to determine the source of the leak. How high up is the oil on the back of the engine? Maybe include a picture from a little further away. Only thing that comes to mind back there would be the cylinder head gasket or valve cover gasket.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Element EX
4 Posts
I am in the process of investigating this exact issue myself. I changed the valve cover gasket already, so know it wasn't just that. It did need to be done though. Gonna clean her up tomorrow and see what i find.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have watch several Videos that says the vtec Solenoid is the most likely culprit the oil leaking out could be hitting a little channel and running down to the left-hand side is what I’m thinking I have no oil leaks that I can find.. under my vtec Solenoid oil is on other parts on the right side

·
Registered
656 Posts
In that area I might also look at the heater hoses. Could it be coolant dripping down into drity grime?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
If you clean it off, then drive it enough to lose a quart, do you wind up with oil all over the back of the engine, the firewall, and the underside? Or is it burning most of it? My 08 was going through almost a quart every tank of gas (while my daughter had it) until I installed new piston rings and valve seals.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,946 Posts
If you clean it off, then drive it enough to lose a quart, do you wind up with oil all over the back of the engine, the firewall, and the underside? Or is it burning most of it? My 08 was going through almost a quart every tank of gas (while my daughter had it) until I installed new piston rings and valve seals.
The fluid in the OPSs photo is external. All he know is it is losing oil and the engine shows external fluid marks. He assumes the fluid he sees is from the oil lost while he drives the car. He assumes the oil is leaking. He doesn't say if he's the original owner, how the car performs, whether it gets parked level on on steep hills, how he refills the oil, etc.

I wouldn't assume the fluid was engine oil from its color. It could be squirrel piss. It could be a coincidence. It could be owner error. I would not assume the OP ever measured the oil volume within in the engine, that added oil correctly, or that the dipsticks are the right ones. With air being pushed asymmetrically through it, that fluid could come for anywhere the engine compartment. An overfilled AT could squirt fluid out its breather tube, the brake or power steering hoses or lines could be leaking under pressure. Or squirrels.

I'd attempt to reproduce the problem. I'd clean the engine and compartment thoroughly. I'd drain the oil from the engine, and measure its volume. I'd change the oil filter. Since he's been adding new oil, on level ground, I'd measure it again as I poured it back into the engine through a sieve until the engine contained the amount that engine should contain after an filter change. After running the car for 10 minutes and waiting for 5 minutes after it was shut off. I'd check the dipstick for accuracy.

With the hood up, I'd run it while parked until the engine fan runs twice. Lock the parking brake, pump the brakes hard 10 times all the way down. Shut it off and look for leaks. Start it up again, chock the wheels and while pressing the brake to the floor, run it at 2500 rpm for a few minutes. Then let it idle for 10 minutes. Check again.

If that didn't cause dripping, I'd CAREFULLY add/remove all the other fluids in the car to their bottom (minimum) indicators and see if the leak recurs after a 10 minute highway-speed run. Check again. Add fluids to their midrange and repeat.

Finally, I'd park it for a week and check daily for leaks \.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I understand what is shown is external, a quart in a short amount of driving should make a heck of a mess. I know what happens when one ASS U MEs. Trying to get him to be more proactive with troubleshooting before coming to the forum with a fairly general question that then requires us to ask a bunch more questions to figure out what's going on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
The oil from a leak it’s on my CV axle on the passenger side Where are my oil filter is oil is its also on top of my oil filter which is where I think the VTCS solenoid is from watching YouTube on oil leaks the vtcs is the most likely culprit

1 - 20 of 23 Posts