Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have something that just started this week - 3,000 miles to the mile - literally, my Honda is leaking fresh oil - not from around the engine - from around the oil filter area. The last time it was in the dealership for an oil change was only in December 2009 - new guy, didn't feel good about it when I left.
So we checked it out - couldn't get the oil pan bolt off - it appears to be one of several things:
put the wrong filter on (haven't had time to check yet)
put the oil filter on too tight
or it might have been a defective filter - or so I thought.

So, since I live in a rural area - took it yesterday to a Hyundai dealer and the guy there worked at a Honda dealership for 18 years - replaced the bolt, new filter, new oil, etc.
Within a couple of hours - it was leaking fresh oil on the carport.
Too early to tell - but it could be that he put too much oil in - the service bill says 5 quarts and this car only takes about 4 - 1/4 or so - not a full 5 quarts when we change it.

What could it possibly be? because the pistons / rings, etc. are no where near this part of the engine???

Email me privately please. StarrElement AT gmail DOT com

As info
my 2003 element has 133,000 miles on it

Well maintained. Had nitrogen put in tires in September of 2009 -
?? thoughts?
suggestions??
Thanks.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
First off let me say Welcome to the club! You will find that this site is an invaluable resource for Element information.

This is a classic trouble that has shown up on this engine. Remove the oil filter. You will find that the old gasket from the old filter is stuck up inside the filter housing. Remove it. Put on a new filter. Your good to go.

As for the Nitrogen fill, there are several threads on the Subject. Just use the search function.

Dom

·
Registered
247 Posts
My 07 EX take's damn near 5 Qt's of Moble 1 to be perfectly full to the dot:grin: on my perfectly :twisted: level gerage floor.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,942 Posts
Oil leakage is a symptom.

Unless you had a leakage problem before you had the oil changed, the cause of the stuck oil pan drain bolt and repeated leakage is a pair of sloppy mechanics. The first one either didn't replace the crush washer and/or torque the bolt to spec. Neither one of them checked the oil filter flange on the block to see that it was clear of debris - like a gasket from the first filter. It's also possible that the pipe nipple onto which the filter threads has been cross-stripped.

Call the Honda dealer and talk to the service manager. He needs to know that his "new guy" needs more training and closer supervision.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
or the only 3000 miles old oil that dribbled down the back of the block still looked fresh.

5 quarts isn't overfilled for many owners.
Ding ding ding. That's exactly what it is. I was thinking the same thing as the OP when I parked my E in the garage and did oil changes. For a few days after the oil change I'd find oil dribbles on my garage floor. I'd crawl under the car to look for them and the only traces of an oil "leak" I could find would be coming off the frame, right below where oil could make its way down from the filter after an oil change.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.