Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. So, I just bought a used, certified 2006 Element with just under 45k on it. Great looking vehicle. I've had it a week. Tonight, I noticed something very scary, though. The floor is a little warped, especially on the passenger side, so I got over there and pushed on it. Much to my horror, I noticed a pool of a watery/slightly greasy liquid along the edge of the floor (door side up to under glove box). The windows weren't left down, the seal on the door is good, I've had no one in the vehicle, and I've had no drinks in the vehicle. I have NO idea what this could be...and it's not from the AC drain thing being clogged, because it's 10 degrees over here.

Any suggestions? I'm really worried I bought something with major issues...

·
Registered
64 Posts
if you just bought a certified honda you need to go back to the dealership and raise hell. I don't know what that could be, there is nothing in that area that could be leaking a fluid like that.

Can you get a picture of it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably a good idea...my dad mentioned that it might be the heater core - but my dad often pretends to be a mechanic (he likes make-believe). Perhaps he's right. Any thought on that theory?

·
Registered
64 Posts
actually that is very possible. But what goes through the heater core is coolant. It is a bright, almost neon green color. Unless it is old then i don't know what you would get. But if the heater core is leaking you would probably know about it unless it is a very slow leak. The cooling system is pressurized and you would probably notice a smell when you had the car running. Any smells while you are driving?

What color is the fluid?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah...none of this is adding up. The liquid is dirty colored...that's all I can really say. It's coming out from under a used floor :) It does seem slightly slick, like there may be antifreeze in it, but the heater works REALLY well, and having owned crap vehicles in the past, I pick up on antifreeze smell like a bloodhound. There is NO odor in the vehicle.

Ugh. I'm draggin' this thing in to the dealer tomorrow. God help any tech who tells me I left my window open or calls me "baby"...

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
The passenger side footwell is naturally lumpy. A square bump up by the center, a trench along the outside wall, and usually a bit bubbly in other places too. It could be the AC because if it is 10 degrees you are probably running the defrost, and that is using the AC, even if the AC light is not on. Any water on the floor is going to be slippery, even if it is just water. But, yeah, if you just got it, take it back and have them check it out.

And welcome to the EOC. Lots of good stuff on here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ahh. Well, the greasy feel led me to go check under the hood. Where I found that my antifreeze well is bone dry, and there is a lovely film of antifreeze sheen covering everything in the engine. Also, the windshield fluid well (which I filled yesterday) is completely empty.

Certified, my ass. Does anyone know if Honda does anything about stuff like this? Fraudulent certifications?

RRRrrrrr!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Major coolant leak on certified Honda...advice needed

So. I purchased a certified 2006 Element last Monday. We were hit later that day with a huge blizzard, so I just started driving it around a few days ago...seems to be great. Until...I noticed a greasy watery substance along the door side of the passenger floor. Lots of it. Being greasy, I lifted the hood...and behold. The Coolant reservoir is completely empty, as is the windshield fluid well, which I topped off yesterday. There is a thin, greasy film of coolant all over the top of the engine.

How, in the name of bunnies and unicorns, could someone call this certified? Does Honda penalize dealers who "certify" broken vehicles? Any advice on what to do (other than drive directly to the dealer first thing tomorrow and raise hell?)

Thank you!

·
Registered
816 Posts
Ahh. Well, the greasy feel led me to go check under the hood. Where I found that my antifreeze well is bone dry, and there is a lovely film of antifreeze sheen covering everything in the engine. Also, the windshield fluid well (which I filled yesterday) is completely empty.

Certified, my ass. Does anyone know if Honda does anything about stuff like this? Fraudulent certifications?

RRRrrrrr!
it sounds to me there 2 diffrent problems.....i think you have a hole in the washerfluid resivor thats causing that to leak.....and the coolant leak sounds like your heater core....

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Sounds to me like this car has been in a wreck! Get a carfax on it.... Some time,, Like 3 to 5 months May pass before a record of a collision will show up. So, although you may have gotten one before you paid for it. Pull another one.

Dom

·
Registered
158 Posts
Of course the "lovely sheen of anti-freeze covering everything in the engine" could be the dressing that the detailers love to spray all over the engine compartment and anything else they want to look glossy....

What does the fluid taste like?

Seriously.

Dab a finger and touch it to the tip of your tongue.

Seriously.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I would also say you have two problems. The inside is probably a mix of melted snow and car prep chemicals that ran down into the channel along the footwell. The other is a hole, damaged line, etc. I don't think they are related.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My wife's 2005 CRV windshield washer has a two piece tank. I found out the connections was not seated correctly. Once I got that all lined up, it holds fluids. Figures, I HAD to have the dealership fix something & this is what they did while doing their work. Is the Element tank a two piece too?

·
Moderator Eh?
12,158 Posts
My wife's 2005 CRV windshield washer has a two piece tank. I found out the connections was not seated correctly. Once I got that all lined up, it holds fluids. Figures, I HAD to have the dealership fix something & this is what they did while doing their work. Is the Element tank a two piece too?

It is a one peice tank. It is possible that the gasket around the pump has cracked and started leaking. Wouldn't be the first time i have seen that.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Snow melt from shoes always seems to migrate to the right side (passenger)floor and puddles along outside edge of floor on my 04. I sponge it out a couple of times a winter.

·
Registered
477 Posts
green fluid found in engine compartment

Hi there-

I did a search and found this thread albeit 2 yrs old. I noticed a neon green color fluid (presumably coolant) around the edges of my air filter box cover as well as around the seal of the engine hood. Strange, there is plenty of coolant in the overflow tank. the engine compartment is mostly clean and leak free except for those 2 areas. I've only had the car for 3 weeks. (bought it at carmax.) Going to call them tmrw as i am still within my 30 day warranty.
Tourgirl-If you read this, did you learn what the issue was related to your coolant leak? was it the heater core or something else? any ideas? thanks

·
Registered
477 Posts
Tomorrow I am taking my E to a trusted Honda repair shop to figure out what kind of leak I have and where it's coming from. If anyone is interested in the results, let me know and I will post them here. Hoping for the best.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts