Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi folks,

back when we had our '04 E, the maintenance light would come on based on mileage(every 7500 miles, I think?)

Now they have changed to the monitored method, which i am familiar with as it is on other vehicles I own.

my concern. we have 1200 miles on the 2010, and it just droped to 80% oil life left? i don't really like the apparent 10% increments it uses, and 20% in just 1200 miles? no dusty conditions, mix of highway and city, no stop light races with Scions:oops:

its this normal? does it drop quickly at first, just start leveling off? at this rate, it will tell me to change the oil at 3000 miles!

thanks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
What has the weather been like ther ein Ohio? Cold weather results in unburned fuel contaminating your oil and lower gas mileage. Unless you drive long enough the oil does not hot enough to evaporate the contaminants.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi capt.

since we picked up the car two weeks ago, it has been above 65 degrees every day....rain maybe 3 times during that period. my wife drives the E about 20 miles each way, combination of interstate and streets, so there are very, very few short duration trips in the vehicle.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
at this rate, it will tell me to change the oil at 3000 miles!
Possibly but I doubt it. Let us know when it reaches 15%.

From reading on the forum it appears that most see the first oil change notification at about 3000 to 5000 and later notifications will show more mileage (usually around 6000) between changes.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Mine is doing the same thing. I have about 1600 miles on mine and I'm at 70%.

·
Registered
163 Posts
hi folks,

back when we had our '04 E, the maintenance light would come on based on mileage(every 7500 miles, I think?)

Now they have changed to the monitored method, which i am familiar with as it is on other vehicles I own.

my concern. we have 1200 miles on the 2010, and it just droped to 80% oil life left? i don't really like the apparent 10% increments it uses, and 20% in just 1200 miles? no dusty conditions, mix of highway and city, no stop light races with Scions:oops:

its this normal? does it drop quickly at first, just start leveling off? at this rate, it will tell me to change the oil at 3000 miles!

thanks.
Break-in period I am assuming

·
Registered
168 Posts
It might be a break in thing since it has such low miles on it. The oil percentage is just a simple calculator of how you drived to how many miles that is how the oil meter works. It wont go by dusty or actual oil quality.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mine is starting to level out now. we have 3100 miles at it just went to 60%. I will probably be at 5000 or so when the 15% notification comes on which sounds about right.

Interesting though. when we had our '04 Element, I believe the oil change interval(back before they had oil life monitors) was 7500 miles...

I remember in the old days, I was told to always change the oil at 3000 miles.

over time, that has certainly increased.

heck, the Porsche Cayenne we traded for our element had an oil/filter change interval of 20,000 miles on synthetic oil....wow....

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
checked the manual here is the quote

Based on the engine operating
conditions and accumulated engine
revolutions, the onboard computer in
your vehicle calculates the remaining
engine oil life and displays it as a
percentage.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I just hit 2750 miles, 50% oil life.....

·
Registered
480 Posts
Update - 3,040 Miles, 40% oil life.

·
Registered
617 Posts
my 2009 just clicked 23,000 miles and Ive only changed the oil 3 times. doing the math im getting about 7600 miles on an oil change. I drive all interstate 32 miles each way for work and then on sundays I make a trip every week thats 45 miles each way.

thank goodness im moving this week which will cut my miles to 15 each way to work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts