Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question..

My 07 SC just went to 0% oil and the wrench light has been on for sometime. Now instead of showing 0% it is starting to show -10, -20, -40 etc.. every time I start the car.

Anyone know what this mean?

Thanks,

Jasen...

·
12,180 Posts
Question..

My 07 SC just went to 0% oil and the wrench light has been on for sometime. Now instead of showing 0% it is starting to show -10, -20, -40 etc.. every time I start the car.

Anyone know what this mean?

Thanks,

Jasen...

You are over due for an oil change.

This is also covered in the owners manula under the maintenance minder section.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I lost my owners manual.

So all the minus numbers (its now on -43) is telling me that my oil is overdue. Weird because my oil log shows that it has been 3400 since my last oil change.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
either that or the person that did the last oil change forgot to reset the maintenance minder for u!

glad ur not killing ur E then!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I always have the oil changed at the Honda dealer because my SC is still under warranty. I know for sure that they reset the oil light to 100% the last time because I always check that :)

I am getting an oil change on Monday so everything should be ok was just worried and wondering what the minus - numbers meant because I never saw this before.

Thanks for the fast responses by the way.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
would it be an electronic problem? like the cluster is giving weird readings? if u did ur oil changes religiously and in 3400 miles went from 100% to -45% thats a big change! ball park figure is approx 5000 miles per oil change.

my E has 10,000 miles and its not even due for oil change #2 yet.

if its under warranty i'd definitely report that maintenance minder issue to the dealer!

·
Registered
207 Posts
The computer in my BMW/MINI uses an algorithm to calculate the time for oil change. It uses many different factors such as, how hard the engine is working, the stop and go in traffic, the engine temperature, oil condition, type and viscosity and of course mileage. So it's not solely based on predetermined mileage per se.

I'm sure it's the same in all modern vehicles that have the maintenance reminder system.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
i agree with ur REZA that the maintenance minder consider many factors..... however to go from 100 to -45% in 3400 miles is a bit extreme! if its 100 to 0 i can understand!

·
Registered
207 Posts
I agree, there is something wrong here, maybe a bad sensor or cheap/recycled oil was used in last oil change....

·
Registered
751 Posts
If any of you would have bothered to look at a manual, you would have noticed that once you hit 0% it counts the miles. So, -45 means you've driven 45 miles past 0%.

Also, I seriously doubt the oil minder knows what kind of oil you put in the car. That is still an assumption the engineers make.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts