Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:idea: :) It is interesting to hear everyone's opinion about oil and oil changes. This is my two cents that I am sure will draw all the old wives tale myths about oil. Oil does one thing well= It lubricates! It is not rocket science. Consumer Reports testing of synthetic oils was bogus and incomplete. Years of independent tesing of most synthetics prove they are far superior and they don't create sludge. Mobil One claims 200,000 miles later and disassembled engine parts measure out at factory new tolerances. No goverment agency has stopped this advertising claim and none of the competition has sued to my knowledge. No conventional oil company has made this claim. I have read many independent lab tests (in no commercial ads magazines)since the 1980's. I have also used Mobil One since the mid 1980's and feel it is the only way to go. I have sold all my vehicles with 180,000+ and 250,000+ mile and all ran as new when I sold them for top dollar. I still see many of them on the road today and I assume all the new owners took my advice. I change my oil at 6000 to 7000 miles because of filter limitations. I will most likely run the break in oil in my Element to 5000 miles and switch immediately to Mobil One. My unit is automatic, but for you manual transmission owners, if the Element does take motor oil in the transmission like many Hondas, I would reccomend Mobil One 0w30. I once had a CRX HF I ran with Mobil One in the transmission and engine with great results. You should see a mile or two+ improvement in your gas mileage with the 0w30 weight. Best of luck to all!

For a great info on Mobil One.....Copy and paste this link:

http://www.mobil1.com/article.jsp?id=97

·
Registered
338 Posts
Mobil 1 is good stuff - no doubt. Do not change to it before 5,000 or 10,000 miles. The U.S. Gov't did an extensive study on Military (on-road) vehicles and they found synthetic oil impedes the break-in period.

Mobil 1 is not a good choice if you lease or if you will only keep your Element for 3 or 4 years. If you are going to have it for some time though, I agree with you.

Mobil-1 makes an excellent Oil Filter also.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I usually keep my vehicles until they have well over 100,000 miles sometimes 200,000. Thanks for your thoughts. I had a 1987 Mustang 5.0 LX sedan I purshases in 1987 with 2000 miles on it and added synthetic right away. Burnt oil like crazy until I read about break in until at least 5000 miles. I changing back to conventional for 3000 miles (More Friction! :idea: !) and cured the problem. It is the only time I would want more fricton!!!! Hey!!! Conventional (break-in sludge producing) oil users! .... This is not a difficult concept to figure out!? You know...More friction for break-in with conventional oil!!!!! The Element, as a great vehicle and synthetic oil represents progress! Welcome to the year 2003! Who says your mechanics Grandmother was always right! :arrow:

·
Registered
80 Posts
I used to work for a trucking company. Keep in mind these were BIG deisel engines designed much differently than the Honda engine. They turned much lower RPM. Anyway the point point is all of our trucks ran Synthetic oil. At 80K they would come in for a filter change only, then at 160K they got an oil change. (measured in the gallons not quarts). At 500K we sold them. I will probably go synthetic. I am at 4300 miles now and its still a nice golden color. I had a Civic in college that I to 210K. I bought it with 100K on it. I think I might have changed the oil 3 or 4 times with the cheapest stuff on sale at Wal-Mart.
The flip side of the argument is that Honda does not recommend using it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Black Elephant! I have been hearing that Mobil One is coming out with a 0w20 for cars like the Element. I will most likely use that in mine. Honda stays in existance by selling cars so I am not surprized they do not recomend it. Of course...When cars break, you buy another! :idea: I have read a teat report of a car with a Bi-pass filter that maintained golden colored synthetic oil on the dipstck at 60,000 with no oil change, only changing the filters. I am mulling around the idea of a Bi-pass filter but I am undecided.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Isn't it like 5.6 quarts? Or so much will always adhere to the sidewalls, etc?

I'm just sayin' I think it's like 5 and a half quarts, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My E replaced a 1991 Jeep Cherokee with 230K miles in which I used Mobil One after the break-in. The engine is still strong, just the rest of the car is falling apart.

I will certainly be using Mobil One in my new E.

·
Registered
40 Posts
One of the important functions of the break-in period is to allow all the rubber seals in the engine to "swell" as they absorb a small amount of oil. Synthetic oil is actually too pure to let this swelling take place and this is why they reccommend that regular oil be used until the first oil change. I have used synthetic oil for over 25 years - starting back when Key-to-oil and Amsoil were goofy experiments.

My cars have always performed well and have had no major problems. I even used thewm in my air-cooled VW's, which many people said not to do, supposedly because the synthetic oil does not transmit heat as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts