Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some things I've run across in trying to get the best price are as follows:

1. You get a great price at invoice or almost there, but when you get to the final price there are dealer extras added like a security system, or under carraige coating crap that jacks up the price again and no they won't take it off!

2. The dealer is such an a*hole during the deal he makes you want to pay more just to get away from him or makes you not want to buy an E at all because of the way you were treated.

3. You might have to drive to New York to get your invoice price costing you more time and money.

Just a rant...

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Honestly? From what I've experienced recently and what I've read on EOC, it's sounding like Honda dealers have advanced considerably in the 15 years since my last encounter.

At least they're acting like normal car dealers now (yeah, with the same tricks, gimmicks and sleaze), negotiating deals and recognizing that, after all, there is competition out there. On every one of my first three Hondas (two Accords and a Civic), it was a major effort to find a dealer who wasn't charging 10-20% over MSRP and literally telling you to take a hike if you didn't like that price.

Big, big difference in attitude these days! :shock:

I'm not entirely sure that the Saturn sales model would work for Honda. Heck - it's not even working well for Saturn!

:roll:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ben, It's funny you should mention that. When I got back to one dealer and protested the add-ons, he offered to take 'em off or include then in the deal. I'm not against a dealer making a profit, after all that's what business is about. I just don't want stuff thrown in just so they can make MORE profit :twisted:

·
Registered
220 Posts
There are several ways to combat dealer add-ons and bogus equipment that adds to the dealer's profit.

1) JUST SAY NO. AGAIN and AGAIN if you have to. If they continue to push the issue, WALK.

2)When getting price quotes, ALWAYS get the TOTAL price with tax, title and license. Whether you are financing or paying cash. It's all about the bottom line. Besides undercoating, paint sealant and all that, many dealers have "customer fees, dealer services, etc." So if you don't get the total price and you fall victim to these games just because someone quoted you a lower price, I say you deserve to get WHACKED. I can't tell you how many retarded customers I talk to every month that don't believe me when I tell them to prepare for this. They deserve it.

3)If a dealership has a reputation for playing these types of games and even if you are THEE lucky one that negotiates their BS package out, is this really a dealer you want to do business with? If they WHACK 50% of their customers with these packages, but don't get you, does that make them credible or a good dealer to do business with?

4)Don't make the assumption that because dealer A has the lowest price, they are going to give the same value as dealer B for your trade-in. Many people negotiate their best deal on a new vehicle, think they will be smart and not mention the trade until the last moment, and then end up giving back some of the profit they just saved. If you have a trade, tell the dealers you are dealing with and compare the total difference, again with tax, title and license. More than 50% of all customers have a trade-in, so this also affects a large group of buyers.

Finally, "one simple price" will never work with Hondas. Buyers love to negotiate and that is a fact. If they didn't, they would all just pay MSRP and roll on with a smile. Honda's aren't overpriced to begin with, so MSRP isn't getting scalped, but customers know they can and should negotiate. It's part of the business. Just know this upfront and do your best to prepare for it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts