Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at this E they want 6,900 for it but it has 172,000 miles! seems a tad high to me dont you think I dont know I have 5,000 dollar right now and I would offer that to them so what do you guys think even for 5,000 dollars good bad idea. Or should I just save up another 2-3000 dollars and get one with less miles. here is the listing
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...=&doors=&max_price=&cardist=58&standard=false

·
Registered
575 Posts
Its a lot of miles but it looks like a nice E. I hope its worth that much. If my E is worth that much when I have 170000 miles I'll be really happy! I can't see spending that much on a car with that many miles on it but thats just me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would definately check the carfax to see if accident because as far as I know, the 2003 Elements did not have the option of the EX P style ( all paint)this just seems strange. Be careful:roll:

·
Premium Member
2007 Element EX TRP
2,530 Posts
I would definitely check the carfax to see if accident because as far as I know, the 2003 Elements did not have the option of the EX P style ( all paint)this just seems strange. Be careful:roll:
I second that, don't want you to end up with a problem child.... :x:-(
There is a reason it's been (re)painted, check it out. There are other Es out there, don't get too attached just because of the price...... :|

Good Luck!! ;-):razz:

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I would definately check the carfax to see if accident because as far as I know, the 2003 Elements did not have the option of the EX P style ( all paint)this just seems strange. Be careful:roll:
I was thinking the same thing...and being on the boards here almost from the start, I don't recall any of the first year E's coming with painted panels...

Although it has been a hot topic of debate over the years, so it's possible that someone has painted the panels since then...(and you can't help but ask, why?)
But I feel pretty confident stating it's definitely NOT OEM...

·
Registered
575 Posts
I was thinking the same thing...and being on the boards here almost from the start, I don't recall any of the first year E's coming with painted panels...

Although it has been a hot topic of debate over the years, so it's possible that someone has painted the panels since then...(and you can't help but ask, why?)
But I feel pretty confident stating it's definitely NOT OEM...
Good point. It could be someone that just wanted to and loved spending money on there E. I don't understand that at all, someone would have to be crazy to spend a lot of money modding the E:grin:

Seriously there aren't really that many of us out there so I would want to know why they are painted.

·
Retired.
12,183 Posts
Good point. It could be someone that just wanted to and loved spending money on there E. I don't understand that at all, someone would have to be crazy to spend a lot of money modding the E:grin:

Seriously there aren't really that many of us out there so I would want to know why they are painted.

There are many threads dating back to the start of the EOC on painted panels. It was a very popular mod a few years back.

The high mileage would be more of a red flag for me over the paint job (unless it was done with a roller).

·
Registered
662 Posts
Someone probably did the paint mod. It looks good like that. The dealer is a California dealer, so salt damage may not be something to worry about. Check the history to see where it spent it's life. Look at the transmission fluid color and smell if it is burnt. Wipe the exhaust pipe out with a clean rag to look for a (wet) sign of oil burning. The engine is pretty much indestructible as long as it hasn't been run hot. Check coolant and oil color and look under the oil fill cap for sludge. Other stuff is cheap to fix, such as brake pads. It still would be wise to spend a few bucks and take it to YOUR reputable, experienced mechanic for a look over.

If these things check out and you can get it for 5K, I wouldn't be scared to buy it. Good luck with your decision.;-)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts