To Mac or not to Mac???

• I use whatever my parents give me, a computer is a computer

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The comparison of Element Owners to Mac Owners/Users has been brought up numerous times, so hence my Poll, aka my version of a scientific study a'la Element Owners Club Style!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I picked 'who cares', that was the closest to my opinion as you had ;)

I use both Mac and PC. I owned a IIg series way back when, but traded it for a car. Went back to using Mac when OSX was released (iBook G3/500), and decided to see if I could totally 'switch' in April, with a 17" iMac (short answer: not completely).

Because of work, I still use the PC platform. My USB-based VPN token won't work on the Mac - even under VirtualPC. Even if it did, then I'd have to get Entourage working with my Exchange server - doable, but it's not the simple ordeal that Apple likes to associate with their customer's 'experiences'.

When at work, I have a PC laptop and a Sun workstation. Here, I have a 17" iMac (G4/1GHz) and a Dell (PIII/933) on the desk. Both get used almost daily. The iBook sits in a case for the most part, and is for sale if anyone's interested.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Mac usage is somewhat of a sensitive topic with me. I have a client whose has an employee who insists on using his Mac with the software I implement. He was outraged when he found out that I had told the client we will not support him using a Virtual PC. It turns out, tho, he does not get support from the client nor was he allowed to have connected to the network or the domain in the first place!

Hate to say it, but this guy showed some of the arrogance that Mac users can display from time to time. He was insistent that he was a superior developer by use of his Mac.

For the record, my bf has a Mac. I have known Apple users - II and Mac users from alsmost the inception of that company.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm kinda surprised at the number of votes the "Never had a Mac, never will" category has gotten so far. I would think that anyone open-minded enough to see the virtues of the E would be willing to go against the tide and at least consider a Mac. :?

Maybe we have a lot of gamers here, which is cool, I'm just not one of them! :)

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
I'm an independent consultant & developer who supports any system that the client has, be it Windows, Mac or Unix. In other words, whoever signs the check tells me what I'm working on.

My current "expertise" is in Palm OS, for that matter. My attitude is "the right tool for the job", although since I've been in the printing and publishing trades since (...ahem..., well, "since"), my hands-on has been primarily Mac, and integrating Win support into mostly-Mac networks.

>this guy showed some of the arrogance that Mac users can display

Uhh...not so fast. This is a two-way street. The "he does not get support from the client" is equally revealing of the fear and loathing that MS-based sysadmins have for users who want to break away from the pack. That this user was prohibited from connecting to the network is seriously indicative of the sysadmin's ignorance and/or intolerance. Sounds more like a situation with an "Ivory Tower" (IT) management attitude, reminiscent of the days when the sequestered priesthood supporting the big IBM iron ruled the roost.

That said, VirtualPC was and is a horrible solution, and the Intel emulators have always been that way. The Mac user needed to get off of his/her high horse and use the right tool for the application that served their employer, or find another job.

:evil:

·
Registered
287 Posts
:shock: Rage against the dominant paradigm and be pro-active!

·
Registered
894 Posts
The reason the user was not allowed to join the domain is that his machine (a Virtual PC) is not managed by the bank. It is considered a breach of security and a vector for infection by a virus to connect a non-bank machine. I'm not even allowed to connect my IBM laptop, managed by IBM Tech Support to the bank's network.

In any case, I would use Linux machine if it was appropriate and allowed by IBM. It isn't, so I accomodate my employer and leave my personal choice of operating system at home. :)

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Iskie....I know you work IBM,here in the USA when we have to have a tech out for the IBM Registers or Office Computers they are always the niceest guys!
Last month we had our offices remodeled and I had a tech with me all night, well evidently he wasn't that familar with our systems (5250 and AS400) so ooops.....he wasn't able to get our back office back up and running until around noon....which meant the registers didn't get back up until after noon since they are linked to the back office....let me tell you that was a "fun" 16 hours of my life!

As far as my poll goes, I was a die hard Appleite.....My first computer (well technically second after a Texas Instruments) was an Apple 2C, when I went off to boarding school our school's computer labs were all Apples, soon they replaced with Macs as did I. I used Macs thru Art School....due to the graphics software. After Art School I went switched to a Gateway Desktop....and I never had so many probelems with a computer in my life, then I went Sony Vaio Laptop and am currently working with the Sony and a Toshiba Laptop that is my latest addition. I love the Toshiba, it has been problem free and amazing for my small business.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Apples and Macintosh are the same things? I knew it was an evil plot for dominance!

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
>his machine (a Virtual PC) is not managed by the bank

So this is not a "Mac vs Windows" issue at all - this is about who is or isn't in control of the individual desktop. It sounds like a recalcitrant user wanting to keep control over his or her own computer, so it's irrelevant whether it's Windows, or Mac OS... or an abacus. That the situation happened to involve a Mac user should not be used as a case in point regarding "arrogance"... for that matter, I have enough war stories about General Systems Division (long before your time, I will surmise) to cast the aspersion right back.

So there! :p :wink: :mrgreen:

>it's not compliant

Not in Microsoft's self-serving view of the world. Of course not. :evil:

Hmmm... the platform with by far the weakest security is dictating the standards for "compliance" in our neo-paranoia, and as a result pushing the stronger solutions (Unix and Mac OS) further into the background. Fascinating.

·
Registered
150 Posts
its so simple. the mac universe is so much more appealing than the windows universe. my simple opinion.

thats the same reason i would rather drive an element than an explorer.

:)

·
Registered
287 Posts
I smell 5 cent words being thrown in haste! Lets relax people. This is a website about owning a nice little car trucky thingie..... :oops:

·
Registered
914 Posts
I use both, but am more proficient on a PC.

I think its a matter of familiarity rather than style or anything else. Whatever you have around when you started to use computers is what you probably have now. Once you start to learn all the shortcuts and keystrokes, you will probably gravitate towards the one you know more, and stay with it.

From a non-computer nerd perspective, a computer is a computer is a box, which is like the E.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
>I think its a matter of familiarity

Well, yes and no. I suppose for computer non-professionals this holds true. If this were the case across the board (you like what you're already familiar with), I'd be desperately looking for a punch-card reader to attach to my PC.

:shock:

It gets back to the best tool again. Web browsing is more enjoyable on my Win2K box - IE crashes a lot less, probably because there is a Mac-hostile web authoring tool in common use. But pop-ups annoy me less on the Mac (you can "quit" IE without explicitly closing windows). Graphics editing is miserable on the PC, and a dream on the Mac. Software development is a complete wash - I move back and forth between platforms without even thinking about it, although I like the results a little better on the Mac (smoother UI).

And my firewall, web and e-mail server is a Unix box, 'cause that's what it does best. So go figure.

:?

·
Registered
914 Posts
[quote:454c5ed4c3="MikeQBF"]>I think its a matter of familiarity

Well, yes and no. I suppose for computer non-professionals this holds true. If this were the case across the board (you like what you're already familiar with), I'd be desperately looking for a punch-card reader to attach to my PC.

:shock:

It gets back to the best tool again. Web browsing is more enjoyable on my Win2K box - IE crashes a lot less, probably because there is a Mac-hostile web authoring tool in common use. But pop-ups annoy me less on the Mac (you can "quit" IE without explicitly closing windows). Graphics editing is miserable on the PC, and a dream on the Mac. Software development is a complete wash - I move back and forth between platforms without even thinking about it, although I like the results a little better on the Mac (smoother UI).

And my firewall, web and e-mail server is a Unix box, 'cause that's what it does best. So go figure.

:?[/quote:454c5ed4c3]

true. So I revise my statement-"for non-computer nerds, its familiarity"

·
Registered
273 Posts
we use an I mac in our house and we use pc's at work. I am not a computer wiz I am looking at each of these keys as I strike them. To me the Mac is easier to work on. A more common sense way to perform tasks. :idea:

·
Registered
67 Posts
i have used macs and enjoy them to a point, but i doubt that will ever switch. you can call it laziness, i am just to used to using my pc. one pc that doubt that will ever by again though is one with an AMD chip, i have nothing but problems with them.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.