Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Better to buy struts & bring to my own mechanic?

Hi,

I recently bought a 2005 EX with 114k miles. I've been noticing lately a squeak from the left front wheel area ONLY when the car is cold. It goes away after a while and in midday temps (I live in Santa Monica, CA).

The squeak is not loud, and it happens while driving on smooth road, as if there's something rubbing. It's continuous, not intermittent: a small annoying squeaking.

The Honda dealer said the couldn't hear the squeak but said my left front strut is leaking. So I'm thinking of replacing both front struts. But I just got married, I don't have a lot of money, so here's my question:

Can I buy a third-party new strut assembly online and bring it to a decent mechanic, or is that just asking for trouble?

I want to fix the squeak, and the leaking strut, but Honda is saying it'll be $305 to replace the left front strut alone. I assume it's double that to replace both struts.

Thanks for your advice. (If you have any local mechanics you like, shout 'em out, pls.)

·
Registered
480 Posts
My opinion is aftermarket struts are fine as long as you stay with a name brand. If you search the threads on this forum you'll find many brands that people prefer.

You're squeak is more than likely a bushing. I wouldn't get your hopes up that new struts will fix that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Flat Lander (I'm originally from Illinois, so I'm a Flatlander, too) & ramberdan. Appreciate your advice.

I'll look into a fix for the bushing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts