Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Element has been the best, most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. But I will say that no woman has ever ridden in it and said that it was a nice truck. I can live with that.

Have over 100,000 miles on it and replaced the plugs at 74K (needed) and the battery at 50K (abundance caution). At 110K just replaced the rotors and pads (needed) along with the serpentine belt (abundance caution). I couldn't tell the difference between the old and new belts.

Thought about replacing the fuel pump, alternator, fuel injector (notice a periodic cleaning does increase performance). Hit a deer so the windshield, radiator and engine sensor were replaced as well as everything five inches from the front.

Any suggestions to fix anything else before it fails?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Adjust the valves change the automatic transmission fluid and drain and refill the radiator using Honda fluids. Don't replace anything until you have a problem. If it isn't broke don't fix it.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
As noted, you definitely should adjust the valves at this point. Also, replace the brake fluid and the power steering fluid - the PS fluid is very cheap and easy to do yourself and the brake fluid can be done yourself fairly easily if you have a friend to help with the bleeding, or else the dealer will do it for ~$100. Also, air filter should be replaced regularly, as should the cabin air filters (both extremely easy to do, so don't pay others to do it for you).

·
Registered
169 Posts
I seem to recall a "quick and dirty" test for shocks ... If you push down hard on the corner of the car, and let go, if it bounces more than once or twice the shocks are bad. Of course, I don't know if that is for old cars vs new cars, or if there are different types of shocks or what. But hey, I'm a chick, I'm allowed to ask stupid questions every once in a while. :)

I'm at 123k, around 118k I had the coolant and rear diff fluid changed, serpentine belt done, spark plugs replaced; transmission was done at 88k (before I bought the E); when I get back to PC I'm taking it over to my mechanic (who has been working on my cars for 18 years) and letting him go over it with a fine tooth comb. All he works on are imports (well, he makes an exception for my granddad's Ford Ranger, mainly cause he loves my granddad and "working" on it involves oil changes lol) and his son has an E, so he's familiar with the E's quirks. Since I have no maintenance history (aside from the tranny work that I found on the CarFax report), is there anything specific he should be looking for, aside from checking my brakes which he thinks may be starting to go?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts