Honda Element Owners Club banner

On the heels of a major storm

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  dirkfour4 
#1 ·
Since the Right coast just got slammed with the white stuff, I thought it would be a good time for all the Eastside Elementers to weigh in on how their ute performed. Front wheel slippage before rears kick in, amount of steering compensation during skids, backing out of snow banks, high centering, and any other driving fun you may have encountered and concoured, or fallen victim to, this weekend with your E. I'm sure, like myself, other "soon to be E owners" would love to hear the stories! BTW- I saw my first E on the road this weekend, Blue EX, climbing the access road to Bachelor ski resort in Bend Oregon. Go E!

#2 ·
Well, I did not take mine out till today. Most of the roads were clear, but getting in and out of the driveways (home and work), as well as parking spots was where the snow was. I had no problem at all. No I would not take it into a snow drift, it just is not built for that. I also had a real easy time driving around with some snow on various blocks. Again, no problem. I am used to driving in snow from living upstate, but the E drove just like other 4 WD SUV's that I have owned.

It has a bit of slippage as you spin the wheels, but not much. I did notice that the Anti-lock brakes did a good job. I went at a good clip to test them out. While much newer than my other car, they did stop me pretty quickly.

The most fun, I was driving down Queens Blvd, speeding up just before a traffic light. I stopped a bit short to get some snow off the roof. It slides down great. :lol:

#3 ·
:lol: Much easier than tyring to climb up to clean off the roof. I am so glad to park in underground parking at home and at work. :D

Iskie

#5 ·
I drove every day of the storm. My road was not plowed until Tuesday so I drove my E thru some deep stuff. It did a great job. The only part that I could say was a problem was the clearance. I did ride on top of some deep stuff but the E always got thru. I don't think I will see this deep snow often and I would hate to own one of those high vehicles. I like to be able to take turns with speed so the E is perfect to me.

#6 ·
I live in MD and commute West toward the mountains. I grew up in NY and went to college in the beautiful and snowy finger lakes region of NY. On a scale of 1-10 I would have to give my Element an 11 for this past weekend/early week. Even when the occasional contraction presented itself on Sunday my wife was not in the least bit worried. It was us and a few jeeps out and about...oh yeah, and the plows. Ahhh, more snow please, more snow!!!!!!!

#7 ·
I posted this on another thread, but I was so proud of my E last week! Our driveway was covered in over 2 ft of snow thanks to drifts and it's pretty steep, so I had my doubts. But the E made it up! The only problem I had was clearance, and downshifting was a must! Our neighbors who had to park at the bottom of their driveways were looking over with envy! :mrgreen:

#8 ·
Aurora just got about 30 inches (outside Denver) this past week. I found the Element did very well over all. Thinking about it, I came up with a scale. See if you agree.

10 for a direct drive 4x4 (Jeep?) Have seen all four wheels kicking in!
8 for an all wheel drive (Explorer?) notice some wheel spin where the
other wheels weren't kicking in
6 for the Element Notice the right front wheel spinning and the others
didn't kick in

4 for a front wheel drive sedan
2 for a rear wheel drive sedan
1 for a rear wheel drive light pickup

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.