Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well trailer/marker/running/dash lights.
Currently in Mojave, managed to get here w/o running/marker lights, or dash lights.
Left the Bay Area under cloudy/rainy skies traveled about 80 miles through tons of traffic before I realized there was a problem.
Situation: No dash cluster lights, HVAC backlighting, exterior marker or running lights. No trailer lights.
What works: cluster icons, airbag, cruise control, high beams, etc, Headlights lo/hi beams, turn indicators, brake lights.

2 possible issues/causes:
Trailer was recently recovered from a theft, noticed tonight the wiring harness has wires exposed. (possible short back though system)
Recently installed two power outlets, add a circuit position 3 and 18(don't qoute me on that). Both outlets work, no issues.

Ideas? Leaving Mojave bound for Big Pine tomorrow at 6:30 AM PST then death valley eventually . I'll check fuses before leaving.

Thanks Josh(I shoul be riding motos not trouble shooting honda)Bennett

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
i don't know, but if i were in your situation, i'd disconnect the trailer lights from the E and find a replacement for the fuse for the running lights, to try to get the E's lights working.
then use some 9V batteries (smoke alarm type) to test the trailer wiring, so you're not blowing fuses in the E. get some electrical tape to cover up the exposed wires. you'll have to find a reasonable cause for the light outage. if you don't trust the trailer wiring you could jury rig a couple 6V drycells in series (lantern batteries) and use them to power some trailer running lights if traveling at night, so you don't risk blowing another fuse in the E. or, if the motos have tail lights, turn them on, so you at least have some light back there.
of course, it would be better to get them all working correctly.
easy for me to say, i can get all this stuff in my house/garage, it might be difficult before 6am in Mojave. good luck!

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
More then likly you blew a fuse and if so unhook the trailer and check for shorted wires or pinched wires. As its a small trailer it should be easy to repair. The running lights on the trailer will be the brown wire.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone

Yep , Engine compartment #2 fuse blown from trailer lights. 5 hours of sleep also helped, given my fatigue.
Waiting for an auto parts store to open to get wiring to run a new harness for trailer and pick up some spare fuses.
Thanks again to everyone for their help.
One more reason this forum and it's members Rock!
Josh

1 - 5 of 5 Posts