Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Camped at the Blowing Rock Equestrian Preserve last night. $10 - toilets, showers, WiFi, electric, water, quiet, close to hiking in the Cone Estate, just off the Blue Ridge Parkway and in the company of horse people with these beautiful Norwegian Fjiords - breed is over 4000 years old - DNA found in the graves of Vikings. At least 10 degrees cooler here and last night a shower for an hour cooled it down to 65 - perfect sleeping weather.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Tell us more about Blowing Rock Equestrian Preserve for camping.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Blowing Rock Equestrian Preserve (horse show grounds) is/are adjacent to the Moses H. Cone Memorial Park with its 26 miles of hiking, horseback riding and carriage trails (no bikes). The Preserve has 45 campsites - known and used primarily by horse people who come to ride in the Cone Estate and stable their horses in stalls at the Preserve. It is within walking distance of the Bass Lake entrance to the Cone Estate.

Published rates are $25/night, but I was only charged $10 - I think because the E is so small, compared to the horse trailer/campers/trucks most people bring. The Preserve is closed for camping from November until May (check the website for exact dates). And during horse shows, the sites are only available to show participants.

My favorite hike is from the Cone Estate (Manor House/Craft Center) (milepost 294 on the Blue Ridge Parkway) up to the Cone grave site and on to the Fire Tower - 5 miles roundtrip...........more if I'd hiked from the Preserve instead.

Good place if you like horses and don't mind the smell of barns. Horse broke dogs run loose. It's quiet, friendly, horsey, close to downtown Blowing Rock and the Blue Ridge Parkway, safe, cheap, water, electric, WiFi, toilets/showers in main barn. Meets all my requirements.

Activities that might spook horses would not be welcomed here.

OTE=Spotman;866536]Tell us more about Blowing Rock Equestrian Preserve for camping.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Camped in General Burnside State Park near Somerset, KY. Dog friendly, had laundry. This is my 3rd experience in KY State Parks - all when it has been scorching hot weather. It cools off enough (finally) to sleep, however on all 3 trips, it seems everyone sets a campfire upon arrival - even those in RVs with full kitchens. Nevermind that there isn't a breath of air moving to disperse all the smoke.

I sought out the most upwind site but even so, the KY parks have been more smoke-polluted than LA freeways. At 11pm, it was so smokey, I closed up the E and turned on the a/c for an hour. After midnight, the campfires had burned down enough that I could open the windows and sleep, mostly smoke free.

I don't recall so many campfires anywhere else. Met folks in an '86 Westfalia who said the campground also happened to be adjacent to a charcoal plant. Might avoid KY State Parks in the future unless a gale is blowing.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I have a little experience with KY parks and you are fairly correct with that statement on the fires but I find that most other state parks are the same. There are some really nice National Forest campgrounds in KY if you do your research. Check out the Danial Boone National Forest page. General Burnside is at Lake Cumberland so you get a lot of boating crowds that camp over night and boat during the day.

Land Between the Lakes is really nice if you are ever headed by that part. Lots of camping options.

Are you going to make it to the Ozarks in MO? Very beautiful place and it may be on your way, not sure.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Already into MO, headed toward Nebraska today. Cheated last night and camped in a Days Inn because it was 99 degrees late afternoon in Cape Girardeau. A little cooler this morning and I'm hoping the further north I go, the cooler it will be. Have to be in Loveland, CO for a dog show July2/3. Then down to Chula Vista for the Ursa Minor conversion. Thanks for the suggestions about National Parks in KY. I'll try them next trip.

There is a Corvette Museum in Bowling Green - who knew?

I have a little experience with KY parks and you are fairly correct with that statement on the fires but I find that most other state parks are the same. There are some really nice National Forest campgrounds in KY if you do your research. Check out the Danial Boone National Forest page. General Burnside is at Lake Cumberland so you get a lot of boating crowds that camp over night and boat during the day.

Land Between the Lakes is really nice if you are ever headed by that part. Lots of camping options.

Are you going to make it to the Ozarks in MO? Very beautiful place and it may be on your way, not sure.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
There is a Corvette Museum in Bowling Green - who knew?
I think everyone who is a Corvette fan knows that one. They are built in Bowling Green KY after all.:lol:

I am jealous by the way that you are getting an Ursa Minor!!!

Have a great trip! I am headed to Estes Park CO on Thursday. Maybe we will cross paths along the way. We are meeting up with my sister in law who has two ridge-less Ridgebacks. We will be in Salina on Thursday night and Boulder Friday afternoon.

·
Registered
847 Posts
There's a really great open space just on the west side of ft collins/loveland. I biked it last summer from the Devil's Backbone trailhead just west of loveland, but it's a pretty hike too. Very wide open with some great views from the hill tops.

http://www.co.larimer.co.us/parks/images/bluesky_trail_bb.pdf

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ridgeless can do everything just as well as ridged. There may be a change coming to let ridgeless participate in Lure Coursing. Then they can do everything except Conformation. Awesome dogs.

Estes Park, which Thursday? I'll be in Fort Collins Wed., 30 June until July 7th. Dog show is in Loveland July 2/3.

I think everyone who is a Corvette fan knows that one. They are built in Bowling Green KY after all.:lol:

I am jealous by the way that you are getting an Ursa Minor!!!

Have a great trip! I am headed to Estes Park CO on Thursday. Maybe we will cross paths along the way. We are meeting up with my sister in law who has two ridge-less Ridgebacks. We will be in Salina on Thursday night and Boulder Friday afternoon.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Forgot to say Sunday night was in Lake of the Ozarks State Park - got to use my hand crank, emergency weather radio to listen to the severe weather warnings about the storms crossing Lake of the Ozarks.

It's dog friendly - we woke to watch 3 deer cross just behind the E and I had to hold Aladdin so he didn't go thru the screen after the deer. Great to have the whole back screened to watch morning wildlife. Saw a flock of turkeys once in Ohio upon awakening. Love watching morning from the E.

Tonight we are in the Victorian Rest RV Park and Campground in Nebraska City, NE. Tried to camp in the state parks in MO, but the two most northwest counties in MO suffered recent flood damage and the road to the state parks is closed. Had to cross the Missouri river further north.

Nice place - $20.62 - water, electric, WiFi, laudry, toilets, showers, dog friendly, clean, spacious shower area - feels more like someone's home rather than a commercial campground.

Tomorrow into Cheyenne.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts