Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just acquired an 05 Element. Now we've got three Honda's - The 05 Element an 01 Odyssey and an 09 Accord. With all these keys I was wondering if somehow I could use one key for two cars. The 01 is out of the picture for sharing keys, it's quite a bit different. But the Element and Accord keys are similar. I was thinking of getting one key cut with the 09 car on one side and 05 on the other. Getting the transponder for each vehicle on one key may be difficult. Does anyone know if the ignition reads one side or both sides of the key?

·
Retired.
12,183 Posts
We just acquired an 05 Element. Now we've got three Honda's - The 05 Element an 01 Odyssey and an 09 Accord. With all these keys I was wondering if somehow I could use one key for two cars. The 01 is out of the picture for sharing keys, it's quite a bit different. But the Element and Accord keys are similar. I was thinking of getting one key cut with the 09 car on one side and 05 on the other. Getting the transponder for each vehicle on one key may be difficult. Does anyone know if the ignition reads one side or both sides of the key?

Good think but will not work. Both sides of the key have to be cut the same.

·
Registered
254 Posts
You can rekey the doors and add the remote to both cars. I don't see why you couldn't rekey the ignition in one of the two vehicles.

·
Retired.
12,183 Posts
Even if you had the locks on both vehicles changed to one key the 2005 E and 2009 Accord use different immobilzer chips. Unless you want to bypyss the immobilzer on one of the vehicles there isn't an easy or cheap way to do this.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
that would be an expensive way to reduce the number of keys you carry around.

I like the idea though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
/frump/ Not gonna happen.

Someday maybe we'll be able to program the cars we own to match a single key/fob we carry. Sounds difficult, but if garage door opener companies can do it...

Thanks for everyone's input. As this is my first post to the boards I appreciate the responses.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts