Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all.

I'm a longtime lurker (who has benefited a number of times from the expertise on this forum!) and Element owner (2010 Element LX 2WD) who now has a problem that I can't seem to solve. I need help!

My driver side low beam headlight went out a couple of weeks back. It had been a couple of years since I replaced the bulbs, so I figured one had failed and bought a couple of new ones (Philips Vision) to replace them both. Swapped them out and turned on the low beams, but the problem remained. I figured the odds were slim, but maybe there was a bad bulb in my pack - maybe I replaced a bad bulb with a bad bulb? So I swapped the two new bulbs and the same issue - driver side low beam was still out, passenger side low beam still worked. The bulbs were both good, it seemed. For good measure, I put the old bulbs back in on opposite sides and found that they both were still in working order. So, I ruled out a bulb issue.

After reading some threads on this forum, I decided to check the fuses. I took a peek at those under the hood and those under the steering column. The fuse that seemed to apply here was in slot #17 under the hood. So, I swapped out the headlight fuses (with one another, then with the spares) and that didn't do the trick either - passenger low beam still worked and driver side did not in both instances. Didn't seem like the fuses were to blame.

Then I read that Hondas of this era had some issues with switches and thought it may be the switch. So, I hopped on HondaPartsNow.com and bought a replacement switch assembly (this one) to try. Got it, swapped it out, and the issue remains - with the new switch installed, driver side low beam is still out but all other lights (high beams, parking lights, brake lights, reverse lights, and passenger side low beam) still work.

I've scanned the forums to see if there were any other ideas that helped solve others similar problems, but didn't see anything I haven't tried. I'm certainly not above taking it in to get fixed but was really hoping this was something I could do on my own. Anyone have any other ideas? I'd sure appreciate the help! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
336 Posts
You’ve gone above and beyond with replacing the switch. I would start checking for corroded wires, especially at connector interfaces.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You’ve gone above and beyond with replacing the switch. I would start checking for corroded wires, especially at connector interfaces.
Thanks for the suggestion! I did visually inspect everything I could easily see- wiring, sockets, etc.- to check whether anything looked off, and my untrained eye didn't really notice anything that looked out of place. Any specifics as to what I should be looking for? Or how I should be checking?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Does it have daytime running lights? The reason I ask is because it’s a common issue with Hondas of that vintage to have cracked solder joints in the DRL module. I’ve repaired 3 and replaced 2 others in my CRV’s and Acura.

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
2,107 Posts
One of these, and a wire schematic should fix you right up.

Reactions: ajchien

·
Registered
336 Posts
For corroded wires, start looking under the corrugated plastic wire covering at the ends of the insulation near all the connectors.

·
Registered
745 Posts
One of these, and a wire schematic should fix you right up.
YES x 100000000. There is another guy on another thread here trying to solve his headlight problems with a multimeter and he is Getting bombarded with too much numeric information that he does not need, slowing his understanding of the circuit.

Wire diagram also crucial.

Reactions: 07lmnt

·
Registered
2004 Honda element Awd automatic
47 Posts
YES x 100000000. There is another guy on another thread here trying to solve his headlight problems with a multimeter and he is Getting bombarded with too much numeric information that he does not need, slowing his understanding of the circuit.

Wire diagram also crucial.
Sorry if this is threadjacking but I have a sort of similar problem. My problem is the passenger low beam is dim even after new bulbs. Where can I purchase or download the wiring diagram for the headlight? Im thinking bad ground somewhere but dont know where the grounds are for the headlight.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Sorry. I replied to E24 on the other thread.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I would check for a corroded or burnt terminal at the headlight. The red/white wire is the low beam ground. Other than that, or the red/wht wire being completely severed somewhere else down the line, I don't see much else that could cause only one low beam to be out.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I got some Ohm readings that might help you determine if you have a bad connection. I posted them in this thread.
Also, the insulation on the wires close to the headlight connector can become brittle over time. Examine the wires there thoroughly. May need to clean the gunk off of them to see. Handling the wires with brittle insulation can cause the insulation to crack, so another thing to be careful with.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts