Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On Monday, I was backing out of my garage (2005 EX) when I heard/felt a dreaded SCRAAAPE. Damn. There was a PG&E truck that had parked just within our driveway, and I hadn't noticed the bolted-on vice that stuck out a good 6 inches.

Bad news: took out the driver's side quarterpanel cladding
Good news: that's all it took out.

I had wanted to order a replacement from Majestic since everyone here talks about them so much, but they don't ship the quarterpanels since shipping such a large part is so expensive; they said it'd be like $70 for shipping alone. I guess that makes sense.

Calling around San Francisco, here's what I found:
  • SF Honda - $153.01
  • Oakland Honda - $121.86
  • Saramonte Honda - $162.02
  • Grace Honda - $144 something

Both Saramonte and Grace changed their numbers after I'd called back a second time; I guess there's a cheaper primed panel that is in the $85 range, but the one I need appears to be $140-160. Embarrassingly, I canceled the Oakland order after I got the much cheaper quotes, but now they ain't cheaper no more :-x

Guess I will swallow my pride and call Oakland back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ordered it!

Anyone have any tips before I swap it out? They told me all the proper clips would be included and I didn't need to order anything else...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Ordered it!

Anyone have any tips before I swap it out? They told me all the proper clips would be included and I didn't need to order anything else...
That's pretty much it. It's relatively simple once you have discovered where everything clips and screws in.

I replaced my rear driver cladding with no prior experience and it looks just dandy.

You'll understand it once you pull the bad panel off :D

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Sorry to hear about your misfortune
you could use this opportunity to do an in depth step by step (with pictures) of how to change-out the panel
could be helpful for other members

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I sort of stalled out on this project, but I'm back! I'd love to post a step-by-step.

But right now, I'm having a parts issue. I went down to the dealer (Berkeley Honda), as they told me they actually had the correct part in-stock. However, when we opened the box to take a look, the color was wrong; it was a dark silver, similar in hue to the color on my 2005 EX element ("galaxy gray" I believe is the color). Please note this was NOT a painted cladding.

But my claddings are black, straight up black. He looked up the part based on my VIN, so I'm pretty sure he had the right part according to the diagram. Plus he was the parts manager so I hope he'd know! He said there may be some issues as there were some confusing service notes, and asked me to call back this week -- he was going to call Honda and find out. I'm calling him tomorrow.

I even took the part out and physically compared them. They are kind of close in color, but def. different; I'd rather not ride around with mismatched cladding, I mean we're already kinda making a statement here we don't need to go overboard.

I can't believe that I wouldn't be able to replace my cladding with the black, which has got to be the most common cladding color. What's up with that??:shock:

It's not time to worry just yet though. But, if he comes back and tells me that's the only color listed for my VIN, anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
But, if he comes back and tells me that's the only color listed for my VIN, anyone have any ideas?
Yup....get a 'black" one for an '06....they were more common on '06 models. ;-)

I believe the "black" (called dark gray by Honda btw) was available on the Black and Red Es in '05. The gray one I checked out in early '05 (already had my E but I really liked the color!) had the "wark gray metalic" panels.(looked more dark-medium gray like the paint color, but semi-gloss)

see this thread for the Honda names and some pics.

Did you get your E new? Maybe someone put a coating on them (like Back to Black) to spruce 'em up?

Will

·
Premium Member
14,898 Posts
Goolie,

According to my records, Galaxy Gray Metallic (NH701M) was offered in MYs 2007 and 2008 only. Your 2005 should be either Satin Silver Metallic (NH623M) or Magnesium Metallic (NH675M). Check your door jamb for the paint code.

MM came with black panels. The driver's quarter panel for that color is listed as part #74450-SCV-A10ZC; the listing includes a note:

74450-SCV-A10ZC Cladding, L. RR. *NH533*
For '05 EX mdls, apply to body-color: B92P, NH675M, R513
(NA use alt: 74450-SCV-A00ZB) (bumper dark gray)

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
... Magnesium Metallic (NH675M). Check your door jamb for the paint code.

MM came with black panels. The driver's quarter panel for that color is listed as part #74450-SCV-A10ZC; the listing includes a note:

74450-SCV-A10ZC Cladding, L. RR. *NH533*
For '05 EX mdls, apply to body-color: B92P, NH675M, R513
(NA use alt: 74450-SCV-A00ZB) (bumper dark gray)
Ooops...I shoulda cought that, I remember the confusion in '07 with the "GG" color....Galaxay Gray or Galopagoes Green? :oops:

The grays (Galaxy and Magnesium) are very similar (and nice).

Goolie, be sure and post up a nice pic of your E so we can see the colors!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks you guys :-D Boy do I love the smell of information in the afternoon!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts