Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not a single person has come to see my ‘08 auto 2wd with 184k miles. (I’ve decided to sell because I can’t find a place to park it - too many cars.)

It’s very well maintained with leather seats (has pen markings on one of the rear setbacks) and custom moonroof.

I’m asking $7750. In SoCal area.

Do you guys think it’s too high? I’ve done about every maintenance it could possibly need for at least another 40-50k miles. (Wasn’t planning on selling it.)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I’ve gotten a lot of people wanting to buy it for $4 - 5k. That’s just too low any way I look at it.

·
Registered
2004 Honda Elephant AT AWD, cinnamon (SOP)
34 Posts
I'm not an expert, but I'm still allowed to have opinions. My opinions are from the perspective bit a potential buyer.

I think $7750 is on the high side. $5000 sounds closer to right; maybe a little low, but as a buyer, I'd want the price as low as I could push it. $4000 is trying to do you a favor by stealing it from you.

I haven't seen your seats. Element seats (the left cushion of the driver's seat) tend to get munched up. But I wouldn't be willing to pay a premium for rich Corinthian leather. Your moonroof might actually be a negative. I assume it's watertight. I'd want it to stay watertight. Aftermarket stuff can be iffy.

But then again, it never rains in southern, California. And the girls, don't they warn ya.

Now, if you were 500 miles north of southern California, you might have people lining up with $8000 in their hands. The PNW Element market is hard to believe.

In the midwest, $4000 might be reasonable. Maybe a little on the high side. I found mine for $2000. It's got more miles, but it's got a lot more miles remaining. A lot more. I think I did get a good deal (but $1500 would have been better), and I could resell it, right here in Indiana, for a profit within a few days. But I'm planning to spend a few thousand hours driving it around before I sell it. If I ever sell it, that is.

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
1,615 Posts
Seems like your asking price is high (even for So Cal) but not outrageous; considering that it is 2WD and Auto trans; which is the most common version and the least in demand with most Element enthusiasts.

By way of comparison, someone on this site sold an '05 AWD Manual Trans. with 209K miles in CO for $6000 recently.

And yes there is always someone on this site searching for a AWD manual trans combo. Selling a 2WD Auto trans Element will likely take longer.

But I still think that in your area, you should be able to get in the area of $5500 to $6000 if the condition is very nice and everything is working as it should.

Maybe your high asking price is scaring away any potential lookers. Try lowering it to like $6900 and see what happens. You can always go down from the asking price, but never up, so............

Hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. Thanks for putting it into perspective. I don’t feel too confused anymore. It confirms my suspicion maintenance has close to zero weight when selling a car. If I hadn’t put any money into it and it rode and drove subpar / borderline bad I would probably get the same results.

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
1,615 Posts
Thanks guys. Thanks for putting it into perspective. I don’t feel too confused anymore. It confirms my suspicion maintenance has close to zero weight when selling a car. If I hadn’t put any money into it and it rode and drove subpar / borderline bad I would probably get the same results.
That's not necessarily the case. A good verifiable set of maintenance records is a real plus for both seller and buyer.

Hopefully you kept all of the receipts for all the work you did and the parts, fluids, etc. that you bought as proof of all the work you did.

Elements are very long lasting and with the proof of the regular maintenance and repairs, it can only add to the perceived value of what you are selling.

On the other hand, without any maintenance records, any potential buyer can only assume the worst, and will likely deduct several hundreds of dollars from the amount they would otherwise pay the seller, just to get all the maintenance back on schedule. It's simply a matter of counting all of the costs.

Hope this helps too! :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thankfully i bought everything online so yeah receipts are intact. I’m sure negotiating price would come into play with good / bad maintenance, but the initial price of sale people look at doesn’t seem to matter to buyers regardless if it’s been maintained well or not.

I’m pretty sure there are lot of buyers right now who purchased these Elements in my area in poor shape who are happy with it, and not even bother looking at a car like mine.

When it comes to looking ahead and future money that will go into their purchase is not very important it seems. Right now is all that matters.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Honda Element Classifies on FaceBook how to list it there
selling your Element, it needs to include the following:

#1) PRICE:
#2) LOCATION:
#3) MILEAGE:
#4) YEAR AND MODEL: DX, LX, EX, EX-P, SC
#5) TRANSMISSION: AT OR MT
#6) YH1 (2WD) OR YH2 (4WD)
#7) ACCESSORIES
#8) PHOTOS: EXTERIOR, INTERIOR, & ENGINE BAY.
#9) CLEAN TITLE OR SALVAGE TITLE

ADDITIONAL FACTS:
It is extremely important to notate if you have any or all Service Records and Maintenance Receipts for your Element. People’s decisions to buy, or not to buy, are strictly bases on the information they have on hand when they make a decision

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Mike!

Honda Element Classifies on FaceBook how to list it there
selling your Element, it needs to include the following:

#1) PRICE:
#2) LOCATION:
#3) MILEAGE:
#4) YEAR AND MODEL: DX, LX, EX, EX-P, SC
#5) TRANSMISSION: AT OR MT
#6) YH1 (2WD) OR YH2 (4WD)
#7) ACCESSORIES
#8) PHOTOS: EXTERIOR, INTERIOR, & ENGINE BAY.
#9) CLEAN TITLE OR SALVAGE TITLE

ADDITIONAL FACTS:
It is extremely important to notate if you have any or all Service Records and Maintenance Receipts for your Element. People’s decisions to buy, or not to buy, are strictly bases on the information they have on hand when they make a decision

·
Registered
2004 SOP EX/AWD/MT
340 Posts
When friends ask about how much a vehicle is worth, I usually point them to craigslist or mercado libre (if your the south of the border).
How much are similar Elements listed for in your area?
If you feel your Element demands a higher $, you can start there and see what happens.

Also, remember people always like to make a deal...meaning offer you less then what you listed it for.

HTH

·
Registered
2007 EX AWD AT (two!); 2008 LX FWD AT
1,603 Posts
I would add to Mike1953's item #8: Photos of the underside if you can get them; engine cradle & lower control arms and oil pan, rear suspension, rear bumper beam, and underside of the general floor.

·
Registered
05 EX 5MT AWD
4 Posts
Not a single person has come to see my ‘08 auto 2wd with 184k miles. (I’ve decided to sell because I can’t find a place to park it - too many cars.)

It’s very well maintained with leather seats (has pen markings on one of the rear setbacks) and custom moonroof.

Do you guys think it’s too high? I’ve done about every maintenance it could possibly need for at least another 40-50k miles. (Wasn’t planning on selling it.)

II
tththi

I think you may asking too much, for instance i picked up my 126k 05 AWD 5MT EX for $5900 back in 2017 from a used car dealer in Long Island, NY. I personally would of not bought a 2WD, but I also live up north and have the desire for AWD during the winter. I did test drive a few AT's during my months long search and did not find them as enjoyable as the 5MT.

i assume it's an EX-P from the leather seats, but what about any added features such as roof rack or oem running boards? I'd list every detail as it can bring up the price as I've noticed the oem extras are quickly becoming extremely rare and therefore go for top dollar. If you have any of these items, check the going rate on eBay, list them in your ad, and offer to remove if they attempt to low-ball you. Then you can sell on ebay or Craigslist and try to get up to that # you are looking for...

And like others have said, if undercarriage is in a rust free note that and include pics to prove it. Ohh, and if the drivers seat is pristine, note that and include pics as every E that I've seen, including mine had the driver seat cracking. Also if it was serviced with only oem parts, state that too, but if aftermarket parts where used then don't say anything about it.

Just my thoughts. Mine is about to get a rest at 173k as I'm searching for a new 20 Fit EX to use as my daily driver, but I'm keeping my E! I love my Hondas and never got rid of one under 220k (my longest was a 84 civic dx with 330k).

·
Registered
2006 EX Atomic Blue
14 Posts

In August 2019 I bought my '06 EX, one owner, garaged, 89k mikes, for $11,800 and people were clawing over each other to get the car. I bought it from a dealership in Downey. I didn't balk at the cost, as the money came as a result of a UPS truck crushing my Mini Cooper. I negotiated for the asking price out the door, including all fees and taxes, etc. I know private party is different, but hopefully that helps. I don't think your ask is high. Just gotta be patient and advertise wherever you can.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Market has changed considerably since 2017 mate, dealers and private sellers now know there's an Element Cult out there, lol... \m/

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I caved and agreed to sell it to the one guy who actually came and test drove it. $6600.
As soon as I agreed to sell to him by text, i had a swarm of interested buyers over the weekend. One person willing to drive 60 miles to take a look at it with cash in hand.

Oh well. It looked like the guy I’m selling to could use a little help so I guess it’s alright. He and his mom won’t be worrying about fixing or replacing anything on it for years to come. A good deed is worth more than trying to get more money in my pocket.

Thanks for all the replies! It’ll definitely help me when it’s time to sell another car in the future.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Congratulations on the sale, point the new owner in the direction of this forum, always sad to see one member go but glad to welcome a new one

1 - 19 of 19 Posts