Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Few pics of engine bay. The undercarriage looks OK, I'm a little surprised the engine bay has rust. I have a 2007 c4-v also from PNW that is spotless.

What do you think?

·
Premium Member
2007 Element EX TRP
2,421 Posts
Well, you ARE looking at a 10 year old vehicle......rust does happen, no matter where it is located (which you did NOT mention). Is it more than surface rust (doesn't look like it), and how does the under carriage look (a little more important than the engine bay)? As you inspect more, does it look like it's well taken care of (wear-out parts replaced, etc.) and kept clean? There will be signs of a "neglected" vehicle......:oops:
If none of these are a concern, then, depending on the price, there should not be an issue with purchasing it. All of the surface rust issues can be easily fixed under new ownership.... :giggle:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, you ARE looking at a 10 year old vehicle......rust does happen, no matter where it is located (which you did NOT mention). Is it more than surface rust (doesn't look like it), and how does the under carriage look (a little more important than the engine bay)? As you inspect more, does it look like it's well taken care of (wear-out parts replaced, etc.) and kept clean? There will be signs of a "neglected" vehicle......:oops:
If none of these are a concern, then, depending on the price, there should not be an issue with purchasing it. All of the surface rust issues can be easily fixed under new ownership.... :giggle:
Thanks for the reply. The reason I posted was because the car is here in Washington which doesn't usually have rust on cars from what I've seen. However, after posting I found out it has spent its life on the coast so the salty air is what did it. I noticed even the seat hinges were showing rust. They wanted more than I was willing anyway, despite its low mileage.

·
Registered
163 Posts
You made the right decision. I lived in Washington for a while and was always surprised by how rust free the cars seemed to be out there. With a little patience I think you'll find a better specimen. I would just hate to open my hood and see all those rusty fittings every time I check the oil, even if they supposedly aren't affecting anything functionally. My '03 Element, which has spent most of it's life in dry, salt-free Western N. Dakota, still has nice shiny silver fittings underhood and has virtually zero chassis rust. And I like it that way!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah, my 1990 Trooper, which sits outside all the time in the PNW, doesn't have rust on the engine like that one does. It sure sounds like it did come from the Coast, maybe even ran it on sandy beaches. Definitely a good one to walk away from.

There was a pretty good deal on an AWD 2006 on Craigslist, but I just checked and it's sold. If you save your query, sort by newest and check every day; maybe you'll luck out and snag one before it's gone. G'luck...........ed

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, my 1990 Trooper, which sits outside all the time in the PNW, doesn't have rust on the engine like that one does. It sure sounds like it did come from the Coast, maybe even ran it on sandy beaches. Definitely a good one to walk away from.

There was a pretty good deal on an AWD 2006 on Craigslist, but I just checked and it's sold. If you save your query, sort by newest and check every day; maybe you'll luck out and snag one before it's gone. G'luck...........ed
I picked up a Blue 2008 AWD with 79k miles a few days ago!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I de
Sweet, very low miles! Post some pics when you get a chance.
I definitely will. As the weather warms I plan to do a full interior sound deadening treatment, new audio system, I will paint and correct a few scratches on the fenders, paint the wheels black, then do full detail and paint correction. I plan to take pics of the process.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts