Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I ordered some new wheels. The specs are 17x7 with a 40mm offset and a backspacing of 5.55" I believe. I am going to go with the Yokohoma Geolander AT/S tire. I am considering a 225/65/17 which, from everything I have read, should fit without any issues. I am also considering using a 235/65/17. I am just not sure about this size because of the increased rim width over stock and the backspacing. I am also concerned about how it will ride/handle with the increased load rating of the 235 compared to the 225. I do pull a pop-up but it's not that heavy and I don't pull it that often. Does anybody have experience with the Geolanders in the "reinforced sidewall" configuration on their E? I wish those sizes had the white outlined letters available...I really like that look :|

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Nismo-what up bud. After some calculations, you will be fine on fitment. The tires should end up sitting flush with the fenders with the 235 wide tire. IMO, I would opt for the 225 though, less sidewall rollover on a 7" wide rim, but thats up to you. I ran the geolanders on my jimmy in a 235/70/15, I loved them. I went from a 225 to a 235, I noticed my gas mileage went down a little and the handling felt looser, but the straight line normal driving was better and a little more stable. So its all up to you big guy, there is pros and cons to both.
Later
Steve

·
Registered
556 Posts
I have hankook vetus as 225/65/17 and they are great no rubbing.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nismo-what up bud. After some calculations, you will be fine on fitment. The tires should end up sitting flush with the fenders with the 235 wide tire. IMO, I would opt for the 225 though, less sidewall rollover on a 7" wide rim, but thats up to you. I ran the geolanders on my jimmy in a 235/70/15, I loved them. I went from a 225 to a 235, I noticed my gas mileage went down a little and the handling felt looser, but the straight line normal driving was better and a little more stable. So its all up to you big guy, there is pros and cons to both.
Later
Steve
Hey Steve, thanks for the reply. My current tire is a 70 series (stock size but an AT tire) and using a tire calculator, I have a 5.9" sidewall. The calculator shows the 65 series calculator will have a 6" sidewall. I can't really see the extra 10mm on a 1/2" wider rim creating that much more "rollover"....but I could be wrong. I don't look for my E to handle like a sports car. I am concerned about the weight and a loss in gas mileage, but I didn't figure it would be much worse than the current set-up I have now. Anybody now how much a stock 04 EX wheel weighs? Also, my speedo reads a lil fast, so the 235 will correct it and then some by 1MPH. Any thoughts as to ride quality of the "reinforced sidewall" compared to the "standard load" sidewall?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
After working at a high dollar restoration and performance shop, I was the tire/wheel and suspension guy, so I have many hours of research between looking into tge street to racing sizing aspect. What many builders from off road to road racing use is a 30mm of tire to 1" width of rim ratio, with the target number being 30, minimum 27, max 33, for best handling, tire wear, and gas mileage. So, take 225mm divided by 7" is 32.14, within the spectrum. 235/7=33.57, a little past. From the factory, the stock combo is already pushing it, but look at the sc, its alot better. In my experience and research, not always is a wider tire better, a lot of off road racers with tall side walls use a proportioned tire usually in the above spectrum. I know its not a element, but 2 years ago, corvette's gt1 cars, like comptech racing, went from a 285 front tire on a 9" rim to a 265 tire on a 9" rim and their lap times went down, handling went up, gas mileage went up, and the car was more stable at high speeds, look it up in motortrend, there was a entire story about it. I am not saying I am a expert, these are just my opinions from myself and others that I have read and talked too, everyone has different ideas, these are just a compilation added up and divided by pi, lol.
Later
Steve

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After working at a high dollar restoration and performance shop, I was the tire/wheel and suspension guy, so I have many hours of research between looking into tge street to racing sizing aspect. What many builders from off road to road racing use is a 30mm of tire to 1" width of rim ratio, with the target number being 30, minimum 27, max 33, for best handling, tire wear, and gas mileage. So, take 225mm divided by 7" is 32.14, within the spectrum. 235/7=33.57, a little past. From the factory, the stock combo is already pushing it, but look at the sc, its alot better. In my experience and research, not always is a wider tire better, a lot of off road racers with tall side walls use a proportioned tire usually in the above spectrum. I know its not a element, but 2 years ago, corvette's gt1 cars, like comptech racing, went from a 285 front tire on a 9" rim to a 265 tire on a 9" rim and their lap times went down, handling went up, gas mileage went up, and the car was more stable at high speeds, look it up in motortrend, there was a entire story about it. I am not saying I am a expert, these are just my opinions from myself and others that I have read and talked too, everyone has different ideas, these are just a compilation added up and divided by pi, lol.
Later
Steve
Hmmm, Yokohoma list the specs of the wheel as measured on a 7" wide wheel and says they are good for a 6.5-8.5 inch width. I am not doubting you at all, you obviously have the experience with it. I would really love to go with the 235's, but at this point I am still not sure. Knowing me, I may just end up with the 225's purely because I am hoping the ride will be a little better than my current AT tire and I figure staying away from the reinforced side wall is my best chance of that. Even with the 225's I will get a touch more height which is also part of the reason I was considering the 235's. That and I was considering the CCM lift and I figured the larger tires would look better. I should probably stay away from the lift anyway, I am already starting to have suspension compenent failure due to normal wear and tear.... throw the lift on and I will be tempted to push the E harder which would cause even faster wear :|

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Yeah, the lift would be cool, if you were ready to put all new bushings in at once, and maybe new axles after they are "tested."

Wheel width recommendations are just way too thrown out there and general imo.

On another note, the section width of the tire to the rim is very important, if your just wanting to go to a 235 for general tread width, its the wrong way to go. Make sure to look at the tread width and the shoulder design of the tire or tires your considering and compare. There are 225 tires that have a broad shoulder and high tread width that will make them look bigger than a 235 in another tire. When I had my silverado z71, I had 265/70/17 stock bridgestones on a 8" wheel. I then went to MT ATX's in the 245/75/17, they were wider looking and actually were if you measured the tread width and due to the broad shoulder design. After changing over to the 245, it made a huge difference on and offroad. So, I hope that helps a little in the thought process.
Later
Steve

·
Registered
71 Posts
rubbing one out is not always a bad thing 8)

·
Registered
480 Posts
rubbing one out is not always a bad thing 8)
It becomes a bad thing when you do it frequently enough that all you get is powered milk.....:shock:

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just chiming in with a little update. I was on the phone ordering the Geolander AT/S in a 225/65/17 size. I was speaking with the rep about wanting the Outlined White Letters on the tires and that I had considered going 235/65/17 in some other tire to get OWL. I started expressing my concerns about the extra width, extra weight, and ride quality of the tire because most of the 235's were an XL rating. He had me take a look at the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo. It got great reviews (albeit on mostly heavier vehicles) and it is a standard load rating instead of XL like most of the other 235's I was considering. It is a little more expensive though. We both agreed there is a slight chance I could rub while cornering loaded or hitting a bump, but I am hoping it won't be an issue. They should be here tomorrow. Fingers are crossed and hopefully I can get them mounted up tomorrow.

·
Registered
155 Posts
any updates on how the tires fit? pics?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1 - 14 of 14 Posts