Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm going to be ordering new shocks and struts for my 2007 sc. I'm going to be installing lowering coil springs, not coil overs. Does anyone who lowered their rooms with just regular coils have any options for the shocks and struts? Just wanted to see what everybody thought of what they had. Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I went the opposite direction, i went up. But I originally wanted/planned on just doing taller springs and updated dampners (shocks)...

However there are not any. I could get custom springs made... Kyb makes a rear G2, but nothing for the front. And even at that they are barely better valved than stock.. Hardly any difference at all. And if you lower it or raise it more than 3/4 inch, the dampner is out of its valve sweet spot so you are running in max or minimum dampening zones... Basically the last ditch effort areas of the valving. So the crappy part.

I searched and searched and searched. I ended up with bc racing coil overs with a longer shock and spring set up.

If I were to lower it, I'd call import image racing and order the bc racing coil overs but with their swift spring upgrade. The standard bc coils are a pretty low grade steel that doesn't uncompress very evenly speed wise or spring to spring. Cheap Chinese steel.
It doesn't matter much for my set up,
But if I were to lower it where smaller undulation control was important, I would want the better spring.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had BC coil overs on my Odyssey. I liked them but I'm not in the market for spending $1000 on coil overs. I have seen people use the RSX shocks and struts but I can't find any information on exactly what they used

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'll be following this thread with interest. I just got my first Element--a 2007 EX. It has only 27K miles on it (!) so nothing is worn out, but I'm used to driving sports cars most of the time--a 944 daily driver set up for auto-x with Koni adjustable shocks, 951S sway bars and a strut brace. Ride height lowered and corner-balanced. A sweet handling car. That car is being replaced by the Element and I have a Cayman for "fun" driving. I'm not really up on suspension technology, and I'm thinking that there are probably some things I could do to tighten up the handling on the Element??? I remember doing a track day a few years back where a very experienced driver brought a tweaked Dodge Caravan out and ran circles around all us newbie/amateurs in our weekend warrior sports cars!! Anyway, hope I'm not sidetracking this thread, but it seems to be going down the road I'm thinking about.

STP

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
If I recall correctly stock SC shocks/struts are KYB. Shop around online for complete assemblies that bolt right in. I also believe the SC suspension is lower than non SC models hence the improved handling.

Back in the day we used to cut sections of factory coil springs down to lover and stiffen front ends. Not sure how that would play with something like an Element though. As opposed to lowering it, you could always opt for a lower profile tire.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I lowered my '07 SC with Megan Racing Springs and have also looked high and low for aftermarket struts to accommodate the 1.5" drop but have not had any luck finding any. The only struts I have found are OEM replacements struts for factory ride height. Yes they will work but will eventually give out prematurely as they are not made to accommodate lowering springs.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I also believe the SC suspension is lower than non SC models hence the improved handling.
It's only 0.7" lower and that just happens to be around the difference of the different size of tires/wheels it has. I really doubt that slight height difference affects handling much at all.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I previously owned an '03 EX 4WD and currently a '07 SC and I could definitely feel the difference in handling and ride between the two. The SC definitely had more of a "Sportier" feel to the ride and did take corners better. Even felt less body roll. Maybe even a bit stiffer.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
It's only 0.7" lower and that just happens to be around the difference of the different size of tires/wheels it has. I really doubt that slight height difference affects handling much at all.
I had an 03EX prior to the 07 SC, its a night and day difference in ride feel and handling. Im running 245/45/20 all around and for an Element it handles like its on rails.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Is ordering the SC suspension components from Honda a feasible way to go? Or are there a ton of little changes? Or is it prohibitively expensive?

STP

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Is ordering the SC suspension components from Honda a feasible way to go? Or are there a ton of little changes? Or is it prohibitively expensive?

STP
Im in LA and it was cheaper to order the parts from a Honda dealership in New Jersey than it was to get them around the corner from the Honda dealership. Think I spent about $1000 total for all new suspension, not just shocks/struts but ALL new arms and bolts and bushings, shock/strut assembly's with coils..

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm planning on getting Tein Basis adjustable coilovers to replace the Megan Racing Springs when my OEM shocks go out. They retail for about $750 brand new. As I enjoy the lowered ride height with improved handling, I don't see a point for me in purchasing new OEM or aftermarket shocks if the Megan Racing Springs will cut it's longevity in half as they are not made for lowering springs. Waste of $$$. Might as well, save up the extra couple hundred dollars and get shocks and springs that are made to work together. Plus I can even go a little lower or have it adjusted to factory ride height in the winter out here in the Midwest.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Im in LA and it was cheaper to order the parts from a Honda dealership in New Jersey than it was to get them around the corner from the Honda dealership. Think I spent about $1000 total for all new suspension, not just shocks/struts but ALL new arms and bolts and bushings, shock/strut assembly's with coils..
Thanks! Did you install all this yourself?

STP

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ive had the same mechanic for a couple decades so he did it while doing other preventive maintenance and fluid change stuff so the price was much lower then expected.
Thanks again for the feedback. My car only has 27K miles on it, so it doen't "need" anything now, but I would like to figure out my options for dialing in a little stiffer, better handling option than the stock suspension.

STP

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'll be following this thread with interest. I just got my first Element--a 2007 EX. It has only 27K miles on it (!) so nothing is worn out, but I'm used to driving sports cars most of the time--a 944 daily driver set up for auto-x with Koni adjustable shocks, 951S sway bars and a strut brace. Ride height lowered and corner-balanced. A sweet handling car. That car is being replaced by the Element and I have a Cayman for "fun" driving. I'm not really up on suspension technology, and I'm thinking that there are probably some things I could do to tighten up the handling on the Element??? I remember doing a track day a few years back where a very experienced driver brought a tweaked Dodge Caravan out and ran circles around all us newbie/amateurs in our weekend warrior sports cars!! Anyway, hope I'm not sidetracking this thread, but it seems to be going down the road I'm thinking about.

STP
What did you wind up doing? I just bought mine and would like a nicer drive instead of the big truck feel.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Which Honda Dealership.. I'm in NY.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts