Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. So this is the first time I am going to be buying a new model and I have never special ordered my cars... so a few questions are in order:

Should I expect to pay MSRP, or can I haggle with the price just as much on an ordered vehicle?

Should I expect / am I obligated to give this dealership some money up front to reserve this vehicle?

Does anyone have an idea of how much both the invoice and MSRP go up by dropping the automatic on the 4WD EX models?

Thanks for any advice! I'm going to the dealership Tuesday, 4/8, so I'll let everyone knows what transpires.

·
Registered
46 Posts
[quote:0fa5d9b7de="HondaNewbie"]Hey everyone. So this is the first time I am going to be buying a new model and I have never special ordered my cars... so a few questions are in order:

Should I expect to pay MSRP, or can I haggle with the price just as much on an ordered vehicle?

Should I expect / am I obligated to give this dealership some money up front to reserve this vehicle?

Does anyone have an idea of how much both the invoice and MSRP go up by dropping the automatic on the 4WD EX models?

Thanks for any advice! I'm going to the dealership Tuesday, 4/8, so I'll let everyone knows what transpires.[/quote:0fa5d9b7de]

You should negotiate the price of your car when you order it. Be satisfied with the price at that time. You don't want to go to pick up the car and think you'd get a price that would be different than your agreed on price.

·
Registered
335 Posts
You can still haggle, but due to limited availability and popularity of the Element, don't expect a significant discount. You can probably get $300-$500 off without coming to blows, but I imagine that to get into the $1000 to $1300 range you would have to be a shrewd negotiator. Most dealerships will want a $500 deposit which should be refundable should you find a better deal elsewhere or change your mind all together.

The only problem you may have is actually getting a 4WD with the 5 speed transmission. They don't make them yet and information on exactly when they will debut is up for debate - some say June and others say November... The 2004's will be available by that time! But the invoice and MSRP should drop if you want the 5 speed. An automatic transmission is always more expensive. Good luck!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Here in Chicago, we can get any where from 1200 to 1500 off of MSRP. One dealer was offering the DX for 13,995, the 4WD EX for 19,995 and i'm sure you could get another few hundred off of that!

Prices reflect where you live.

·
Registered
220 Posts
[quote:398d817ec7="HondaNewbie"]Hey everyone. So this is the first time I am going to be buying a new model and I have never special ordered my cars... so a few questions are in order:

Thanks for any advice! I'm going to the dealership Tuesday, 4/8, so I'll let everyone knows what transpires.[/quote:398d817ec7]

The invoice price difference from a Automatic 4x4 and a 5spd 4x4 should be $800. I say should be, because pricing hasn't been announced yet. The invoice amount for a 4x4 EX Auto is $19,722.04 and the invoice for a 5spd EX 4x4 should be $18,922.04.

As of today, there still hasn't been a release date for the 5spd EX 4x4 models.

As for your initial question - yes you better negotiate your pricing as soon as you can. Although most "deposits" are refundable it might be difficult to get your deposit back. At our dealership, we don't even squabble with customers who want their deposits back, because we will simply sell the vehicle to the next person in line. However, if we wanted to, we could make it very difficult to get back. It could be charged to "loss of business", down payment, or many other things and you might have to go through a court battle to get your deposit back. Again, you might want to ask if the deposit is refunable up front. Finally, keep in mind that should you put a deposit on a vehicle and then decide to shop around for the best deal, you are also taking that vehicle away from another potential customer. The dealer will sell it either way, but you would be causing some other customer to lose out.

Agree on the price first (if possible) and stick to your word (just as you would expect the dealer to do). As soon as the vehicle is built and given a vehicle identification number, you can also request a purchase order. You may also request a purchase agreement of some sort even if pricing is yet to be determined. For example....you agree with the dealer that the price will be MSRP and nothing over....get it in writing (a we owe, purchase order, etc). Check with the dealership to make sure you are aware of all the charges you can expect. Find out if they have any extra charges for their vehicles (paint/fab protection, undercoating) or anything else ahead of time and you should have a great experience with no surprises. Good luck :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey all. I've done some number crunching and I am figuring that Invoice price on an EX 4WD 5sp should be around $18984.12 and that MSRP will be $20,510. These prices include the $460 destination charge.

I think that offering them about a 3.8% profit is fair, so I am preparing to offer $19,700 (after asking nicely if they could just give it to me for $19,000).

Anyone have any comment about this?

My dealer told me about 2-3 weeks ago that they had no idea when the 5sp EX 4WD would come out, he initially also said November, but then called me this AM and they can order them now for expected delivery in June. That's my info and I'm choosing to believe it :wink:

·
Registered
46 Posts
[quote:8dd280f1eb="HondaNewbie"]Hey all. I've done some number crunching and I am figuring that Invoice price on an EX 4WD 5sp should be around $18984.12 and that MSRP will be $20,510. These prices include the $460 destination charge.

I think that offering them about a 3.8% profit is fair, so I am preparing to offer $19,700 (after asking nicely if they could just give it to me for $19,000).

Anyone have any comment about this?

My dealer told me about 2-3 weeks ago that they had no idea when the 5sp EX 4WD would come out, he initially also said November, but then called me this AM and they can order them now for expected delivery in June. That's my info and I'm choosing to believe it :wink:[/quote:8dd280f1eb]

If we receive EX 4wd 5spds in the same quantities that we receive the 2wd EX 5spds, then you will be looking at very limited quantities. $700 off msrp might be a little steep, but worth a try.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts