Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
( the car not the driver )

We recently picked up a 4WD EX AUTO with 5600 miles on it.

Did the full carfax on it, didn't turn up any problems, checked the paint thickness to find any minor body work, it was perfect.

Just got back from a 1200 mile 4 day trip in New England and I'm hooked.

The only complaint I have is about the quirky Honda locking system, it made more sense on my last Honda ( 93 Civic ) which didn't have power locks. You would think that unlocking he passenger door would unlock the drivers door, but it doesn't. Keyless entry, here I come.

Fit 2 bikes and gear inside with no problems.

What out be a good price for this car, we ended up paying $17K even for it, though I had to drive to NJ :shock: to get it.......

The KBB value was $23K

I'm happy, so it was a good deal as far as I'm concerned, just wondering if anybody else had a used one.

Elementally happy
Kevin

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm looking for a used one or might have to go for a new one if I can't find a used one in the color with accessories I wantr. 17k sounds like an awesome deal for what you got. Even with having to go to Jersey for it! Have fun and hopefully I'l bejoining you in the reanks soon.

·
Registered
359 Posts
You got a GREAT deal! I picked up my "E" new for $19000. He gave you that car for basically the price of the DX. As for the miles, who cares, someone broke it in for you.

I noticed you live in upstate NY too. Did you know about the bear mountain meet next weekend? Check it out it should be a lot of fun.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If its the same car, we called on that one (and we live in Arizona) but it was sold. $17K is a fantastic price. We hope to find a similar deal. If you buy a used car in Arizona from a private party, you don't have to pay tax on it, which easily saves you about $1,500. So with 5,600 miles, you got a practically new car! Enjoy!

·
Registered
154 Posts
I found a EX 4wd SMM dealer demo with 12,000 miles on it for $18,800 and thought it was a good deal until reading this thread. I'm supposed to go check it out tomorrow. What do you guys think?

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
>12,000 miles on it for $18,800

No - not when you can get the same thing here (St. Louis), new, for less. It's a terrible deal, especially with 2004's around the corner. Dealers in our area are near or at invoice trying to move E's off the lots.

No more than $17K with that kind of mileage. :(

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
[quote:08cab98a70="DustE"]I found a EX 4wd SMM dealer demo with 12,000 miles on it for $18,800 and thought it was a good deal until reading this thread. I'm supposed to go check it out tomorrow. What do you guys think?[/quote:08cab98a70]

FYI, I paid 19.2K (invoice) + $220 (dealer profit) + $250 (side air bags) + $460 (destination) + tags + tax on sunday for new a EX/4WD/Auto/black with 3 miles on the ODO. Total was <$21K before keyless & security.

Yes, the $220 dealer profit is on top of the honda holdback they pay the dealer, but still, I figured it was a great deal, esp since I was financing elsewhere!

So, I don't think the $18.8k is a great deal at all for one with nearly an average year with of miles on it, unless that includes tax...

-brendan

·
Registered
154 Posts
Thanks for the feedback people. It looks as if I want a better deal, I may have to go a good distance from home. Dealers around here (Charleston, SC) seem to be getting close to sticker for the E.

If anyone knows of a dealer somewhere in NC, SC, GA, or FL, I would be willing to travel a bit (not as far as St. Louis, though) for a good deal. I don't really care about 4WD, all I need is an EX with AUTO.

Thanks again for the advice!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Here, this is what I think. It is very close to the year end. The element didn't move that well. As I said in another thread My dealer wouldn't budge off the price of the crv or the pilot but he was able to give $2000 off the bat on the element. Figure it out. The base element EX 4WD is a little over $21,000. I got it before my add ons for $19,000. Other dealers should be doing the same thing. Shop around. Every dealer gets a demo from honda to use. You shouldn't pay more than $17,000 for a used EX in my opinion. I wanted to buy the demo that my dealer had but they weren't selling it and it had 7500 miles on it with some add ons.

Keep on looking. You may not get the color you want but you should get a great deal.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Just be forewarned that some dealers don't like informed buyers. If you look at my post under this topic under Dealer Harassment. That is how my Dealer Harassment began. A local chevy dealer advertised an E with 7900 miles as I remember for 22k! When I inquired as to why the price was so hi I got a reply back saying the price was really 19k, when I replied back asking for a lower price, that's when the harassment began. I was told I was full of you know what and that the vehicle would be sold at that price. As of today the vehicle still sits on their lot and I am guessing most "educated E buyers won't bite. Just be patient and prepared. I don't know if I will get to the 17k mark for my E (thats the best price I've seen on a used E), but I am willing and have a need to wait for the best deal.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
[quote:e77bb40164="brendan"]FYI, I paid 19.2K (invoice) + $220 (dealer profit) + $250 (side air bags) + $460 (destination) + tags + tax on sunday for new a EX/4WD/Auto/black with 3 miles on the ODO. Total was <$21K before keyless & security.

Yes, the $220 dealer profit is on top of the honda holdback they pay the dealer, but still, I figured it was a great deal, esp since I was financing elsewhere![/quote:e77bb40164]

This was at Brown's Honda in Arlington, VA last Sunday. I used cars.com to get quotes from dealers in the area last week, they were the last to respond but had the best offer (with apologies that their email was down for a couple of days). The salesperson hinted that as an 'internet customer', I got flagged for a lower initial quote (though she may have said that to back up her claim that she couldn't negotiate any further down).

Who knows if that's a bunch of hooey or not, but the price was good.

I'll save the finance story for another day, but you can also find good deals through cars.com (which is partnered with bankrate.com for autoloans, where I got my E*Trade Bank loan).

-brendan

·
Registered
8 Posts
[quote:f038083ede="DustE"]Thanks for the feedback people. It looks as if I want a better deal, I may have to go a good distance from home. Dealers around here (Charleston, SC) seem to be getting close to sticker for the E.

If anyone knows of a dealer somewhere in NC, SC, GA, or FL, I would be willing to travel a bit (not as far as St. Louis, though) for a good deal. I don't really care about 4WD, all I need is an EX with AUTO.

Thanks again for the advice![/quote:f038083ede]

Hendrick Honda in Easley, SC was great to work with. I bought an EX SOP 5SP from their internet manager, Yvonne. They would likely have to order you one but she gave me a fair deal. I wound up paying about $19,100 for everything (taxes, title, fees). I did wind up not purchasing any options as I could not find any dealer in the area that would even come close to what they are selling for online. I only had to come into the dealership once for them to give me an offer on my trade, which was $500 more than Carmax would give me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That was $19,100 for an EX AWD SOP 5SP. Sorry forgot to add the AWD. They were not willing to deal on an Element with side air bags; apparently it makes it rare and thus more valuable. To get the best deal I'd skip the dealer options and add the options yourself. The EX comes pretty well equipped anyway.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Picked up a 3-week old EX 4WD with 791 original miles on it for $18,500 Period. No sales tax on private party used cars in Arizona. Similar priced "new" model would have cost me almost $24K in Arizona with $1,800 in taxs, title, "doc" and misc. dealer fees. So I figure I saved $4K - $5K by sacrifycing 791 miles! I still consider the car brand new. AND I LOVE IT!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Nostood! Congrats! Whereabouts in Zona are you and what color did you get? I'm in Gilbert with an SOP!

·
Registered
34 Posts
[quote:4f849e9e08="Kigotai"]Nostood! Congrats! Whereabouts in Zona are you and what color did you get? I'm in Gilbert with an SOP![/quote:4f849e9e08]

San Tan Ranch, Pecos and Higley. I have a black EX - and there's a SOP E lurking just down the road from me.

Good to know there are a couple of us in town "who've seen the light" on the E!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
This late in the game, I would buy new over used. Dealers are really willing to "deal" on these. Got mine for 19723 (EBP EX 4WD AT) I know they are willing to work because they had to dealer trade to make it work. Plus, the dealer that traded didnt want to trade for an Element.

Be informed and savvy! (Wait em out, they'll call)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts