Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One month short of 3 years owning our ’07 E, we have 51k on the odometer, and have experienced the following;

A. Replaced the tires once, rotated them every 5k.
B. Changed the motor oil every (aprox) 5k using 5-20 wt syn. blend and Honda filters.
C. Tightened stereo speakers to stop a minor rattle (DIY)
D. Changed trans and diff oil twice (DIY)
E. Changed engine/cabin air filters 5 times (DIY)
F. 3 professional detailings, with DIY washings as needed.
G. Installed sheep skin seat covers on front seats (DIY) from COSTCO.

Fuel mileage (using simple miles between fillips/gallons fuel used calculation technique) is aprox. 25-28 mpg on freeways (using cruise control, drafting, @ 65 mph) consistently.
21-24 mpg in mountains (2500-4500 feet)

We drive conservatively i.e. moderate acceleration, avoiding sudden stops (no tailgating) no towing, with max. 200-300 lbs of cargo. That does not include one passenger.

No windshield, brake, or other problems have occurred.

One complaint we have is driver visibility could be better.

We are sufficiently impressed with the Element (so far) to purchases another Honda vehicle in the near future, although not another Element.

We expect to have the present one for a long, long time.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Thank you for your input. My experience has been similar in my almost 5 years. You'll probably need brakes in the not too distant future.

(I used to be famous for this): Please fill in your location and profile.:smile:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good to hear how your Element is holding up. I too have a 07 Element. 50,000 miles almost. Haven't done anything to it. Change the engine oil at about 6000 miles. I put a bigger battery in it. Replaced the air filter once. Rotated the tires a couple times. It has been a great car, really like it. Can't think of a car I would rather have.

The only thing that bothers me is about once a month I will go to start it and it will just click when I turn the key, then I try again and it starts. Haven't gotten any worse so I haven't put much worry in it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Chopper,

The clicking you hear when starting your car is typical in Honda's if the battery is too weak. I would consider taking it in for a free battery test at a local autozone or advanceautoparts. If the battery passes I would then highly suggest looking in advance for a deal on a starter as your solenoid is going slowly. I have found brand new honda e starters for as low as $50 on surplus sites so spending your time searching will save you a ton.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hive 001 It is good to know that your 07 E has been trouble free and only required normal repair items. I have only owned an 07 E EX for a few weeks and I am looking forward to a few years of trouble free ( except for normal repair) or driving. One question I have is with the seats. The seats are a light color in the 07 and I wanted seat covers, but found out that the in seat air bags SRS system will not allow covers to be placed on seats because it will keep the air bags from deploying from the seat in an colision. Does anyone make seat covers with break away seams that would work with the airbags?

·
Registered
86 Posts
review

I have had the SOP for 4 1/2 years and have 38K miles on it. So far, I have replaced the oem tires(at 5K) and replaced the dome light bulb and battery(Sept. 09). I've had one windshield replacement(oem windshield took an egg-sized rock) and routine oil/trans/diff changes. That's about it.

I can't think of another vehicle I would rather own right now, either. This thing hauls my dog, bikes, trailer, and other stuff and still gets decent fuel mileage. And I haven't gotten it stuck in the snow yet.

Happy motoring!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Picturetaker:
Regarding our E seat covers. We found the sheep skin type at Costco. Price about 60$ for both front seats. They are very comfortable, but do not cover (sides, and rear are not covered) the whole seat because of the side airbags. So far, this has not proved a problem. One thing we have done is Scotch Guarded the seats. So far, we are happy with this arrangement.

·
Registered
270 Posts
My '07 made the clicking sound about 3 weeks ago for the first time and has since did it once more. Both times, I just turned the key again and it started right up like there was nothing wrong at all. Can the battery cause it to do that? Wouldn't it just crank more slowly if it was weak? The eye still seems to be fairly green. In between the two times and since the last the starter and battery have worked just fine. Although the weather here lately has been rather mild. My mechanic didn't think it was the starter. He thought it might be the battery. Although, this was an over-the-phone diagnosis. He said Honda's don't usually have these type of problems (bad starters), with such low mileage (30,000).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts