Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously I believe our Element was one of the reasons my wife and unborn child were kept safe in a pretty crazy accident this past Wednesday night (God sure had a big hand in it as well).

She was on her way home from yoga when she was T-Boned after another driver in a 'Big Jeep' completely blew through a stop sign at a two way stop (two one way streets). The Element took all the force on the drivers side doors and the Element commenced to roll onto its side; it continued to slide for about 18" or so until it was jammed up against concrete filled, steel bollards in the sidewalk.

The side airbags went off and she had her seatbelt on, so as the car was on its side she was somewhat stuck with her 7 month baby bump. Quick thinking on her part was to move up the steering wheel, support her weight and undue the seat belt. She then was trapped in the car, due to people screaming in to her not to move, that she may have hurt something and doesn't feel it yet. The rest is kind of fuzzy due to her not remembering it all completely but the fire department was able to get the rear tailgate open and she crawled out the back (rear seats were up luckily).

The scumbag in the other car commenced to drive away, but didn't get far and was later arrested (within 10 minutes of the accident). We don't know the full details but I hope he rots in hell.

After 26 hours in the ER and Labor wing of UPenn (with scares of emergency C-sections) her contractions disappeared and all was well. We are now safely home and getting ready for Sandy (ugh).

I was told by the fire department and a police officer that the we were lucky to have the roof rack and basket because in their opinions the car may have been even more jammed into the bollards had it not been there.

To me it all adds up someone looking out for my wife and the baby. Our family and friends were amazingly helpful and we probably would've had a tough time without them.

So, still waiting to hear from Nationwide; but, lesson to be learned from this is drive a nice big SUV that has rear access and a roof rack.:roll: Be safe all and hug your kids and wives!

On to the pics after it was towed to a tow lot...

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Glad to hear everything is all good with the wife and baby and that the element did its job. On side note super happy they caught the Dbag that hit her and drive off.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Glad to hear everyone is fine. Glad to hear they caught the idiot, what kind of jerk takes off after doing that

·
Premium Member
2007 Element EX TRP
2,443 Posts
......To me it all adds up someone looking out for my wife and the baby. Our family and friends were amazingly helpful and we probably would've had a tough time without them.
So glad to hear that God was protecting the born and unborn, and family was right there supporting you!! Every time I see/hear about and Element accident, and most are unscathed, I am VERY glad of my choice in vehicles!! God bless and prayers for a quick and pain free recovery!! :razz: :razz: :) :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all it is much appreciated. As far as the next car, not totally sure yet. The Element was by far the best vehicle we have owned to date (we've had about 15, new and used). Our only issue was once the baby was born the back seat was gonna be tough for my short (5'-2") wife to get the baby seat in the bracket. We shall see though...still not sure if Nationwide is going to total it or not.:|

·
Registered
105 Posts
Darth, hope all is/will be well with her your wife! Sorry to hear about the 'E' and hopefully Nationwide will do right by you!

HT

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The car was a 'Total Loss' and not valid to be 'purchased back'...guess it is to the crusher for the old E, gonna miss it. I found an Xterra around me for really cheap and put down a deposit yesterday, picking it up after some routine maintenance on Thursday. It was a good run folks and we will definitely be checking in back here from time to time, some great people with great ideas.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts