Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He came from Petland and before that Arizona, someone had an "accidental litter" and sold them to the store. They put them "on display" right as we were walking by them and my wife said she had to have one.

He's an Australian Cattle Dog and Dalmation mix and his coat is beautiful! He's so cute... wife gave me sad puppy eyes, so did the dog, so he's ours now!

His name is Juno Sandwich Green! All our critters (cat and 4 rats) have funny middle names. He got really excited and started licking my wife to death when she said something about getting sandwiches later lol.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Congrats!

Bringing a new puppy home is always a happy occasion.

Errr... I assume your last name is Green? Otherwise, "sandwich green" really is pretty weird!

:)

·
Registered
523 Posts
It probably came from an Arizona puppy mill. Petland is the largest puppy mill distributor in the country. Too bad you weren't interested in adopting. :-(

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Idk if it was a puppy mill but the guy was from way out in the middle of no where near the Grand Canyon. He's currently still at Petland because he was having some stress-related issues (not eating/drinking much the first day and now diahrrea) and the Managers of the store are actually taking him home every night and taking care of him. He loves my wife and the people that dropped him off must have been really good to them because my wife picked him up and asked him if she could have a kiss and he started licking her to death. He's a really sweet mild-mannered pup.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Idk if it was a puppy mill but the guy was from way out in the middle of no where near the Grand Canyon. He's currently still at Petland because he was having some stress-related issues (not eating/drinking much the first day and now diahrrea) and the Managers of the store are actually taking him home every night and taking care of him. He loves my wife and the people that dropped him off must have been really good to them because my wife picked him up and asked him if she could have a kiss and he started licking her to death. He's a really sweet mild-mannered pup.
:lol: licking your face is a sign of being taken care of? It is a dog it licks it butt hole, they don't give kisses.

Why would a person breeding a dog, that cares about that animal sell it to a pet store that is 3000 miles away (and through another country) without knowing who is going to buy it and how it will be taken care of? You think someone drove the dog to Alaska and dropped them off? It is called a Semi and it was loaded with puppies. Look for "Hunte Corp." on some of the paperwork, they are the largest pupply mill transport company. The dog is sick because they are poorly bread, poorly taken care of, abused, and are given the bare minimum in vet care.

One of my foster dogs last year was originally purchased at Petland in Tucson. I received all her paperwork and traced everything. Her "breeder" (used lightly) was involved in the Humane society investigation and the USDA (yes dogs are livestock according to gov't) had several citations of abuse and neglect against that breeder. Hunte Corp was also the transport and they have had several instances of truck fires that resulted in lost merchandise (dogs).

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27822309/
http://www.petstorecruelty.org/boycottpetland.htm
http://www.hsus.org/pets/pets_related_news_and_events/petland_puppy_mill_112008.html

I know you love your new pet, even if it is sick but I would avoid the future medical bills and potential psychological problems that come from abused animals and return it. Adopt from a shelter/rescue, or at the worst, buy one from a back yard breeder. I never knew people bought muts (aside from designer dogs) from pet stores, how much was it?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Here we are in Kennedy Meadows.

Do I REEEEEaly have to eat this?
Love the huskies! Miss Vickie looks so sweet. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:lol: licking your face is a sign of being taken care of? It is a dog it licks it butt hole, they don't give kisses.

Why would a person breeding a dog, that cares about that animal sell it to a pet store that is 3000 miles away (and through another country) without knowing who is going to buy it and how it will be taken care of? You think someone drove the dog to Alaska and dropped them off? It is called a Semi and it was loaded with puppies. Look for "Hunte Corp." on some of the paperwork, they are the largest pupply mill transport company. The dog is sick because they are poorly bread, poorly taken care of, abused, and are given the bare minimum in vet care.

One of my foster dogs last year was originally purchased at Petland in Tucson. I received all her paperwork and traced everything. Her "breeder" (used lightly) was involved in the Humane society investigation and the USDA (yes dogs are livestock according to gov't) had several citations of abuse and neglect against that breeder. Hunte Corp was also the transport and they have had several instances of truck fires that resulted in lost merchandise (dogs).

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27822309/
http://www.petstorecruelty.org/boycottpetland.htm
http://www.hsus.org/pets/pets_related_news_and_events/petland_puppy_mill_112008.html

I know you love your new pet, even if it is sick but I would avoid the future medical bills and potential psychological problems that come from abused animals and return it. Adopt from a shelter/rescue, or at the worst, buy one from a back yard breeder. I never knew people bought muts (aside from designer dogs) from pet stores, how much was it?

Well I'm sorry, I'm just saying that he seems to have been taken good care of, and the store is doing a good job caring for him as well. And he's technically not a mutt since dalmations were used to breed the australian cattle dog anyhow.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Well I'm sorry, I'm just saying that he seems to have been taken good care of, and the store is doing a good job caring for him as well. And he's technically not a mutt since dalmations were used to breed the australian cattle dog anyhow.
Whatever you gotta tell yourself. Someone's gotta keep them in business...

·
Registered
143 Posts
dude, lighten up. Puppy mills are terribile, yes. I myself bought my dog from a pet store, and if I had it to do again, I wouldn't, but there is no way in hell I would RETURN my dog out of principle. I didn't know about the whole puppy mill deal when I bought him. I just saw a dog that I liked a lot, and I bought him. I didn't know what I was supporting at the time. Now I do, and as I said, I wouldn't do it again.

You are doing a good thing to educate people on puppy mills and the horrors of them, but you've got to not come accross as such a jerk about it. The damage is done this time, the puppy mills win this time and have profited since the dog has been purchased. I doubt the store would take a "return" anyways, but you've educated another person towards your cause.

This person was just coming on here to show off their new dog that they were proud of, and probably didn't know about all this stuff. You've informed them, hopefully meaning that they won't continue to support this industry. Just don't be mean about it. It isn't helping your cause. In fact its probably hurting it. People are more likely to dismiss your cause if you're a jerk.

·
Registered
75 Posts
And he's technically not a mutt since dalmations were used to breed the australian cattle dog anyhow.
I just have to comment on this, no your dog is not purebred, the parents were different breeds regardless of what was used to make up cattle dogs 100 years ago. There is no paper trail to even prove that the parents were what the store told you therefor you have a lovely mutt, mongrel, mix breed pick a word. Purebred dogs come from parents of the same breed and are documented as well have a pedigree that goes back at least 5 generations registered with a reputable breed club.

Your dog is adorable, I am sad you supported a pet store.

·
Registered
523 Posts
dude, lighten up. Puppy mills are terribile, yes. I myself bought my dog from a pet store, and if I had it to do again, I wouldn't, but there is no way in hell I would RETURN my dog out of principle. I didn't know about the whole puppy mill deal when I bought him. I just saw a dog that I liked a lot, and I bought him. I didn't know what I was supporting at the time. Now I do, and as I said, I wouldn't do it again.

You are doing a good thing to educate people on puppy mills and the horrors of them, but you've got to not come accross as such a jerk about it. The damage is done this time, the puppy mills win this time and have profited since the dog has been purchased. I doubt the store would take a "return" anyways, but you've educated another person towards your cause.

This person was just coming on here to show off their new dog that they were proud of, and probably didn't know about all this stuff. You've informed them, hopefully meaning that they won't continue to support this industry. Just don't be mean about it. It isn't helping your cause. In fact its probably hurting it. People are more likely to dismiss your cause if you're a jerk.
1. Whether it is a breeder (a real one), or a shelter, or rescue group a health guarantee of a certain length is usually provided. I would assume that would come included with an overpriced animal from a pet store.

2. This is not my cause. I am just writing some information that is pretty obvious and well known for many people. What exactly did I write that would cause someone to "dismiss my cause"?

3. What leads you to believe the OP was informed by me or that they would make a different decision in the future? Some people don't want to be educated, and they prefer to argue. My previous post (that I assume you sourced the jerk impression from) was in reference to them disputing whether the dog was a mutt. That is an obvious statement, as the previous poster has also done, and disputing that is just silly.

4. Are the Jerk blasts necessary? Does it make you more right or me more wrong? No. I am glad you admit to making a mistake and don't intend on doing it again in the future. Don't blame the messenger...

·
Registered
143 Posts
2. This is not my cause. I am just writing some information that is pretty obvious and well known for many people. What exactly did I write that would cause someone to "dismiss my cause"?

3. What leads you to believe the OP was informed by me or that they would make a different decision in the future? Some people don't want to be educated, and they prefer to argue. My previous post (that I assume you sourced the jerk impression from) was in reference to them disputing whether the dog was a mutt. That is an obvious statement, as the previous poster has also done, and disputing that is just silly.
Its really just your tone that makes you come off as, well, mean. My point was simply that a lot of people really don't know what they are supporting by buying from a pet store. A better way to approach people is to assume they fit into this category. Chances are, they are, and you can make a positive impact by educating them. If they aren't, you weren't gonna make an impact anyways so nothing is lost.

Sorry about calling you a jerk, I'm sure you're a nice guy/gal (we're both hound people), but your posts just had a pretty venomous tone to them.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I just have to comment on this, no your dog is not purebred, the parents were different breeds regardless of what was used to make up cattle dogs 100 years ago. There is no paper trail to even prove that the parents were what the store told you therefor you have a lovely mutt, mongrel, mix breed pick a word. Purebred dogs come from parents of the same breed and are documented as well have a pedigree that goes back at least 5 generations registered with a reputable breed club.

Your dog is adorable, I am sad you supported a pet store.
With DNA testing like http://www.canineheritage.com or http://www.whatsmydog.com you don't have to have papers to prove a dog is purebred. The AKC and registration groups like them are a bunch of puppy mill supporters that make $35+ per registered dog. Simply put it's a racket that contributes to deaths of shelter dogs.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well either way I just wish people wouldn't support pet stores. Petland is notorious for purchasing from mills and as someone who has worked in shelters, seen the results of suffering in mills yes it matters to me where people purchase their pets as I have seen the other side of it. I have rehabilitated mill dogs, been in mills and it matters to those dogs that suffer in them and to those of us who have helped save them.

Please if anything just do a little research when you want to get a new pet.

http://www.hsus.org/pets/pets_related_news_and_events/petland_investigation_2_062909.html

I am not going to argue about DNA etc please just research and educate yourselves. There is no excuse for ignorance in today's age. :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Well either way I just wish people wouldn't support pet stores. Petland is notorious for purchasing from mills and as someone who has worked in shelters, seen the results of suffering in mills yes it matters to me where people purchase their pets as I have seen the other side of it. I have rehabilitated mill dogs, been in mills and it matters to those dogs that suffer in them and to those of us who have helped save them.

Please if anything just do a little research when you want to get a new pet.

http://www.hsus.org/pets/pets_related_news_and_events/petland_investigation_2_062909.html

I am not going to argue about DNA etc please just research and educate yourselves. There is no excuse for ignorance in today's age. :)
I totally agree as I too have rehabilitated puppy mill dogs for the humane society and siberian husky rescue. I just want to point out that the breed registration groups are partially to blame as well.
http://www.friendsofanimals.org/programs/spay-neuter/puppy-mills-pet-shops-the-akc-basic-facts.html

1 - 20 of 50 Posts