Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2005 Element, manual transmission that, since about a month after delivery, has had a clicking in the clutch action - it clicks at the top of the action as the clutch is depressed then clicks a couple of times as the clutch is released. It is somewhat intermittent, but will always occur during any trip, typically more than 50% of gear changes.

I took the car in to what was then called Thomasville Honda in Thomasville, GA (now Prestige Honda) for an oil change and told them about this problem. They lubricated what they thought might have been causing the problem and sent me away. No clicks for a week or two, then it returned as bad as before. The next visit I made a bigger point of the problem and they actually noted it on the work order this time (I had not noticed that they had not recorded the problem the first time) but they said they couldn't replicate the fault (by repeatedly pumping the clutch pedal, which is certainly not how I drive) but that they had lubed the clutch area and it should be fine. The problem returned on the drive home from the dealership.

I mentioned it again on another visit, getting the same response, so I (reluctantly) figured this problem was here to stay and that I am just going to have to put up with it.

Then I moved (back) to California. The clutch still clicked, but the recently it has gotten much worse, kind of like a crunching sound on occasion as if there is broken glass under the clutch pedal. I was worried that something much more sinister was going on and took it to Merced Honda who tell me that the problem is (and always has been) in the clutch master cylinder (they didn't pump the clutch pedal to find this out, but drove the car around the block a few times.)

The warranty is now expired and I am left with a bill for $350 ($47 for the inspection, $313 for the replacement master cylinder) unless Honda do the decent thing and stump up the cash.

Does anybody have any advice or any success in getting Honda to pay for (or at least help with the cost of) fixing problems that could and should have been dealt with under the warranty?

edit: I did contact Honda and they are reviewing my case. I faxed them the work order showing that Thomasville Honda were aware of the problem in Nov '06, warranty began Feb '06 when we bought the car.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Would not hurt to contact Honda USA and ask. They can look up your service records and confirm that you had the problem before your warranty was up. I've seen another manufacturer step up and do this, on an out-of-warranty transmission repair, after they were contacted and then confirmed through service records that it was a preexisting problem. They covered it as if under warranty, reimbursed the Dealer for the repairs, and the Dealer refunded the repair charge back to the owner.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honda USA

I did contact Honda USA, they are 'reviewing my case' but my interactions with them so far have not been very promising. One rep that called me back said, "well you do know that dealers are independent businesses, so it's not Honda USA's problem [if they screw up?]"

I faxed the work order that shows the problem was 'addressed' in November 2006, si fingers crossed, eh?

It is somewhat reassuring that others have had success though - that's exactly what I wanted to hear. :smile:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update

I just got a call from Honda USA telling me that they will assist in the cost of the replacement of the master cylinder: they will pay for the part, I just have to pay for the labor. Disappointed that this wasn't fixed when it should have been, but pleased that they have stepped up and helped out with this expense.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Glad to see Honda USA was willing to work with you. I had a problem with my old CR-V and had to get them involved. Takes a little time but well worth it in the long run. Glad I had everything documented as far as repairs and service. I got the same result. They paid for the part I covered the labor costs .

·
Registered
751 Posts
I just got a call from Honda USA telling me that they will assist in the cost of the replacement of the master cylinder: they will pay for the part, I just have to pay for the labor. Disappointed that this wasn't fixed when it should have been, but pleased that they have stepped up and helped out with this expense.
Send the bill for labor to the dealer in PA. They obviously didn't correctly fix the problem.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Mine was doing that same thing and I just lived wit hit and it went away but I will watch the post to see the outcome. Mine sounded like it was coming from the pivot point. As you depressed the clutch it would give out a pop pop.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The job has now been done - the clicking/crunching is gone and every gear change is a joy, having put up with varying degrees of noise for 3 1/2 years. Anyway, much to my surprise the labor cost was significantly lower than estimated - $78 compared to $160-170 estimated. This is because the dealership (Merced Honda in Merced, CA) charged me at the warranty labor rate instead of the regular rate, since Honda were paying for the part as if it were under warranty. This was unprompted, unexpected and really very surprising.
If you're putting up with a crunching/clicking clutch pedal I would get it fixed, especially if the car is still under warranty (and tell them you think it's the master cylinder or you'll have a 'could not replicate fault' report on the work order) as it could get much worse over time (as in my case).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Similar thing happened to me concerning the rear diff not functioning properly. They are probably trained to try and blow smoke up our butts for as long as it takes to get past mileage so they don't have to pay for the repair. The one thing I learned is always make sure that the concern gets typed on the invoice and entered into the system so that they can't deny that there was a concern early on. I didn't realize this and now i'm stuck with a 4wd that's really only a fwd. Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts