Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my mom 2003 Honda Element 2D LX I think, she say some time if she idle at trafic for long period of time, the temperture go up almost to Hot, and when she start moving it go down to Cool ? her ac some time make click noise and blow hot air, im guest its the thermostate ? but she say this car do not have thermostat ?

·
Registered
816 Posts
welcome to eoc,,these cars do have a thermostat..follow the radiator hose back to the engine and your find the thermostat

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
the thermostat is located in a little housing where the lower hose meets the engine.

I'd start with the coolant level. Make sure it is completely topped up. (Not just a decent level in the overflow or "expansion" tank.) You may need to run it with the cap off and add coolant thru the radiator cap, not the expansion tank.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I would say the radiator fans are not turning on as it will cool down when moving and overheat when stopped. Open the hood and the fans should be turning on and off regularly. Also turn on the AC and both fans should turn on and stay on. If not unplug the fan connector and use a voltage meter and check them again with the AC on and see if you get voltage. If so your motor are probably bad. If no voltage you will need to dig into the fan relays and fuses.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
My '04 EX was overheating, so I checked under the hood, and one of the fans isn't running. If I am sitting in the driver seat (for reference), it's the RIGHT fan. When I turn on/off the AC, the left fan runs/stops normally.

However, I'm confused. My '03 Factory manual says the left fan is "radiator fan" and the right fan is "condenser fan". So shouldn't the AC turn on/off the RIGHT fan, not the left?

The fans pictured match the fans I have (left vs. right).

Attachments

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts