Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, probably a stupid question, but I've never been clear on this: Do I leave the Overdrive on or off for normal driving?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Overdrive just means your transmission will shift up through its gears quicker, and to a larger gear than if it was off. You can leave it on in all driving conditions as long as you are not annoyed by having to force the transmission to downshift when you want to pass, by flooring the gas pedal. Typically, I leave it on unless I'm driving in slippery conditions. Preventing the shift to the highest gear keeps the car from picking up too much speed downhill, where braking can cause a skid. Enjoy!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have not carefully read the manual, but I have explored a bit while driving.

Here is how I think of it:

It is a one gear shifttronic button.

This is a 4 speed transmission, but with the button in you only have access to the first 3.

Leave it alone (no dash indicator) unless you want engine braking going down hills or around a series of corners in sucession where brake fade might be a concern.

Hope this helps.

Ed

·
Registered
335 Posts
Your gas mileage will suffer if you turn off the overdrive. Under normal conditions you just leave it on. My Sidekick has the OD kill switch also, and it helps when climbing steep inclines and when I need to get a little more instant RPMs out of the sluggish dog. With 40 extra ponies, I hope that the automatic E has a little more Oomph than the old Kicker or I might have to go back to shifting gears!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts