Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope somebody can either relieve my anxiety or confirm my paranoia. I just had my E serviced (major service) but had to have it towed back after it overheated a few miles later. The overfill tank was boiling and steam was shooting everywhere! Plus it got even hotter when I turned the heater on, which is strange. They claim that the radiator cap was bad, which caused it to overheat. Is that possible?

They also said that they pressure tested the system and everything is OK, including the head gasket. I found out that this dealer has a bad reputation AFTER this happened, so I'm worried that it is going to overheat again when I get it back. Any thoughts and/or suggestions?

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
my first thought is..."what are the chances the cap would go bad during a service at the dealership?" If it were bad you likely would have noticed overheating symptoms before taking it in for the service.

Maybe they just forgot to tighten the cap or something?!:|

Try again, but don't make any important plans for the time right after you pick up the car. ;-)

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I agree...that's awfully suspect to me too.

I can't see a 'bad' rad cap causing it to overheat so badly....
But I'm not a mechanic, so I can't even guess...

What concerns me the most is the fact it did it after coming out of major service

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you are that concerned about the situation take it to another shop and get a second opinion. Plus get the old part form the first one if they still have it. You are legally entitled to it but must ask for it ahead of time so it does not get thrown away.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I hope somebody can either relieve my anxiety or confirm my paranoia. I just had my E serviced (major service) but had to have it towed back after it overheated a few miles later. The overfill tank was boiling and steam was shooting everywhere! Plus it got even hotter when I turned the heater on, which is strange. They claim that the radiator cap was bad, which caused it to overheat. Is that possible?

They also said that they pressure tested the system and everything is OK, including the head gasket. I found out that this dealer has a bad reputation AFTER this happened, so I'm worried that it is going to overheat again when I get it back. Any thoughts and/or suggestions?
What kind of service did you have done at this place? It does not sound like the radiator cap to me either. It sounds like there was not enough coolant in the system. You did the right thing by having it towed back and not trying to drive it back otherwise you may have cooked the cylinder head. I would let it sit in the parking lot and let it come up to operating temperature up before driving off this time just to be sure. Let us know how everything turns out.

·
Registered
873 Posts
If your dealer is like my dealer they dont have a clue how the cap or recovery system works.and the service manager told me that honda dosent have coolent in the raidator!!!:shock: what a moron.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
If your dealer is like my dealer they dont have a clue how the cap or recovery system works.and the service manager told me that honda dosent have coolent in the raidator!!!:shock: what a moron.
Well of course not! Coolant is in the cooler! :razz: :roll:

Honda has a pressured 'dry' radiator system. The radiator is filled with radiator lubricant :roll:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, they replaced the cap and tested to make sure nothing was damaged and it has not had overheating problems since.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
If you can come out to the meet on Saturday and I will take a look at it. If not watch the coolant level over the next few months to make sure its not going down. It could take a few months for the head gasket to give way to the gasket gods.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I'm going to take a shot at this one.

By "major service," did they happen to change the antifreeze? If so, I'd bet they didn't purge the system of air before capping her back off. That will exactly cause your symptom.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,928 Posts
Ideas:

1. If the mechanic diluted the Honda antifreeze, its boiling point would be lowered, its freezing point raised. Check the fluid in the overflow tank with an antifreeze tester.

2. The high point in the cooling system is the radiator cap. When the engine is cool, if you remove the cap and check the fluid level the level should reach the overflow tube. Start the engine and run at idle until the temp shows as normal. If the radiator overflows significantly, trapped air is expanding.

·
Registered
756 Posts
He is right, did they flush the coolant during the service?

John

I'm going to take a shot at this one.

By "major service," did they happen to change the antifreeze? If so, I'd bet they didn't purge the system of air before capping her back off. That will exactly cause your symptom.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
or they left the cap loose or forgot to replace it at all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts