Honda Element Owners Club banner

Overspray Help Please

3K views 29 replies 10 participants last post by  KingCrow 
#1 · (Edited)
Long story short, I have auto paint (white) overspray on my black 06 E EX . The guilt party will pay for removing the overspray on the paint, but the body shop said they would not touch the panels, they say there is nothing you can do but replace them ? Which I think is BS

I have searched the forum and have found info on a product called 303, seems most people are using it on grey panels, how will it work on black panels?

Also found info on Mothers Back to Black, which I would think would be ideal for black panels.

Are these products also cleaner or just protection products?

Any help would the great ...thx

#2 ·
Is the paint on the gray plastic panels? If yes, then replace the panels. I had my Element vandalized several years ago and needed to replace the front and rear fenders and both pieces of the door handle. The paint would not come out no matter what product I used. I even went with paint remover to see what it would do and it removed the paint but damaged the panels. I did that after I had already replaced the panels.

The panels do not cost very much. I replaced those 4 pieces for about $120!

Which panels were damaged with the paint? Just get them to pay for the parts and replace them yourself.

#4 ·
The overspray covered most of the E, the guilty party was painting with their shop door open, so picture a large cloud of paint floating thru the air.

I wish it was just the fender panels, but it is all the plastic, replacement quote was $ 5000.00

thx for the reply

#3 · (Edited)
Neither Back to Black nor 303 would do what you want. B2B would partially coat the overspray with wax, 303 would penetrate the surface of the overspray without dissolving it, then protect the overspray.

I believe that the best consequences to deter future bad behavior involve work, not money. It's up to you whether you have a shop replace the panels, or offer to allow the guilty party (not you) to first try removing the overspray. I'd go for the later, because if it didn't work, the guilty party would suffer more.

If the overspray is lacquer overspray, not intentional graffiti, you might be able to remove it. I've used judiciously applied paint thinners (like turpolene) and other mild organic solvents with a soft bristle fingernail brush to remove all kinds of organic materials from my plastic panels.

Either "Goof-Off" or "Oops" will soften overspray provided you apply it soon. Mask off the adjacent painted body panels. Apply the solvent to the overspray and cover it with plastic wrap to prevent evaporation. Allow the solvent at least an hour to penetrate the overspray, then remove the plastic wrap and try gently scrubbing the panel with a bristle brush and/or microfibre towel. Keep the area moistened with the solvent until most of the overspray is off.

Once you have most of the overspray removed, there may be some remaining residue in the "pits" of the plastic. Try peanut oil/peanut butter to lift off the remaining residue, then wash the panels thoroughly to remove all oils. Repeat the entire process as needed.

After the surface looks clean when dry, THEN use 303 to minimize future contaminants adhesion to the plastic panels.

#5 ·
Well like I said it is a long story, the guilty party had me take it to a body shop to clean up the overspray (also 10 other cars, mine the only black one). The bodyshop would not clean the panels just the paint, which they screwed up, and is now going to the bodyshop of my choice and will cost them $1200.00 to remove the scraches from the first bodyshop, and $5000.00 to replace all of the plastic, which the guilty party will not pay.

And also as all this is going on time is moving on, it has been 6 weeks and the overspray is still on the panels

Gary

#10 · (Edited)
...clay bar won't work??

OK, I re-read. Maybe your wife's company could paint everything, including the plastic trim.

#11 ·
#14 ·
Well I was hoping they would take care of it, if I claim it on my insurance my rates could go up, (we have no tickets or accidents) I would think, and then if the insurance company go after my wife employer, where does the leave us? Her being let go. idk

Please correct me if my thinking is wrong

#16 · (Edited)
King,
I would not call you insurance too! If they smell damage they will pop up the rates. Have them pay for the replacement of the panels and if they refuse get a handful of estimates(as many as you can) and take pics and give them copies and say pick one or give them fare warning that you may need to take them to small claims court. The last thing they would want s to 1 pay a lawyer to consult and 2 have it a matter of public record that they were painting with the doors open. Any lawyer worth his salt would tell them that! Let a pro that they send you to try to remove the over spray. If you do it they may try to say that you damaged the panels and that a pro could have done a better job and that they would only pay for part of the replacement. If you walk in with a handful of estimates you will look good in the courts eyes.

I had a battle with the Jasper Engine company over a leaking head on my pickup. They refused to pay for the labor to replace my engine $1500. I had the pictures and the mechanics backing me up that it was their fault. I told the guy at jasper "If you don't cover this I will be filing within 24 hours with the 15th dist. of the Dupage county court." With the hour they call me back and said they would pay. Sometimes the words you use can play big part in getting the issue resolved.

As for your wifes job if you go to court make it part of the record about your fears. If shes and union employee they can't touch her unless the layoff are at her level. The guy that did it should be worried not you! Your the victim! If you walk in to the company and all your estimates say replacement necessary they will have to pick the cheapest one and pay. If they drag their feet just file and let them get the notice in the mail!

Good Luck!

#19 ·
Yes...they do work!

I agree. Clay bars work wonders. I've been a car painter since 1967. That doesn't mean I'm the best....it just means I have a lot of experience. HA! My SC was the unfortunate recipient of some clear urethane over spray. All over it! I used the clay bar on every surface...plastic...lights....glass...paint. Worked great. I've always been extremely meticulous with all my cars. I can refinish cars to my satisfaction.....but if you don't have to, you're ahead. They only have "original paint" one time!

#20 ·
Here are some photo's I took with my cell, this is from the 1st bodyshop, that told me they did not wet sand and/or buff, so I assume they used a clay bar.

If you look close at the door it looks like finger smugges, but they are scrathes, also their are light scrathes all over car. The other body shop said they would use a claybar and then buff a couple of times.

A side note my wifes company send us to the first bodyshop because it was $200.00 dollars cheaper $350 vs the second bodyshop that quoted $550.00 because the E is black, found this out after the fact

Attachments

#22 ·
Here are some photo's I took with my cell, this is from the 1st bodyshop, that told me they did not wet sand and/or buff, so I assume they used a clay bar.

If you look close at the door it looks like finger smugges, but they are scrathes, also their are light scrathes all over car. The other body shop said they would use a claybar and then buff a couple of times.
WOW! whatever they did,they certainly were a bit aggressive.:shock: More than likely they just rubbed the hell out of it using some solvent.:|That's totally unacceptable for any place to return a vehicle in such a condition.Sure some scratches are bound to happen during the process,but they should always be removed before the customer picks up,or has even seen their vehicle.Whenever I would do an overspray removal,a total exterior detail was always done to assure that the vehicle looked it's absolute best before a customer were to pick up their vehicle.:)

#21 · (Edited)
If you have a claim that isn't due to your own negligence, and the insurance company can recover the costs from the responsible party, not only is your premium not likely to rise, but you might get a refund of your deductible for the claim.

We had a car totalled, it was our fault, the rate increase over 5 years didn't approach the claim paid out, and the increase was spread over 5 years' insurance premium payments. Do you really think your auto insurance rates would go up enough to cost $2000-$5000 more? (I've never seen an auto insurance application that asked for a information about paint damage.)

Also, if the company is a one plant of a "global international manufacturer" their public liability insurance is probably handled by corporate headquarters, not the individual plants.

Finally, the rule of thumb is NEVER let the responsible party dictate who does the repair work or how the work should be done. If you have repair work done though your own insurance company, and use one of the shops they recommend, they may guaranty the quality of the repair work. When the guilty party or their insurance dictates the work, once you sign off on the claim you have no future recourse.

#23 ·
I can agree with you that you should never let the other party dictate who does the work. but in this case I thought being her employer they would do the right thing, my bad. I am the one that agreed on the second bodyshop, because I know they do good work, thats were I found out about their first quote of $550. because the E is black and the company did not want to pay that much and sent us the the first bodyshop. Now it will cost them $1200. also we have not signed anything or will untill the work has been do right

#25 ·
...that's a pathetic job. One can only abrade the paint so much until you have to repaint.

It seems like you're pretty far along on this, but have you considered using an auto dealer's prep & detail service??? You know, the guys who fix dents with dry ice, polish in chips , fix window stars & repair car seats??

sorta like this one: www.1800dentdoc.com

#27 · (Edited)
Ok we will be taking the E to the second bodyshop tommorow, the guilty party said they will pay for the paint to be fixed and also detailed on the panels, well we talked to the bodyshop and they said told the guilty party they could not do anything on the panels

the guilty party told my wife this is it...I told her this will be handled thru me from this point on...and I will decide when "this is it"

you know we take a lot of pride in our E, I put $2500+ in acc. on the car, we have one more year left till it will be paid off, I have a ext warrany with no out of pocket, and there is only 36k miles on it, the guilty party must look at it as just a car...just drive it for the next 5 years and don't worry about the trade in or anything

I guess I have to call the insurance company and take it from there, it is very simple I just want the car back to the day before they got overspray on it. if they want to be penny wise and dollar dumb, then their insurance can deal with mine.. so be it

thank all of yall for the comments

#28 ·
I just read through all of this, and sounds like your going to get somewhere now. If the guilty party ever tried to tell me when "its over" I would just work that much harder to get my E back to pristine. When you talk to your insurance company have the quotes and body shops of your choice estimates in hand. Hope your E gets fixed fast!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.