Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got in a fender-bender today. Not terrible, but embarassing.

Doesn't appear to have hurt much. I checked under the hood, and nothing appears to be out of place. It was a solid bump, at maybe 2-3 mph.

How easy is it to replace the front bumper plastic?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Sorry about your fender bender! :(

We had the bumper off mine today, installing the foglights. Not a big deal.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Have a look at the post on the FIAAM horns and fog lights. The bumper is easy to replace - almost a do-it-yourself job. I understand it to be pretty inexpensive as well.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Wow....2-3 mph and that is the damage caused??? WOW! I have been in one fender bump at that speed in my old car and neither car had any damage what so ever....we exchanged insurance info, but nothing ever came of it.

I was also in one hect of an accident on the Dan Ryan in Chicago (the only real accident I have ever been involved in) and I was in a five car pile up, I was the first car to be hit, and then took the impact of 4 cars....the car that first hit me was a F150 Pick-up and I had no damage what so ever to my car....and this was at a pretty decent speed. So I guess I am just shocked by the ammount of a bumper tap will cause on the E.

·
Registered
93 Posts
It depends on what you hit at 2-3 mph.
A truck with a huge trailer hitch will do a lot more damage that if you another vehicle with a "soft" bumper.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[quote:69762594db="JamesJr"]Low-speed fender-bender. Now there's a hole in the bumper just like this one. Insurance guy's coming tomorrow.[/quote:69762594db]

Got the quote for repair $600. The bumper cover is over 1/2 the parts cost, plus a bent support beam behind the cover.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[quote:e289235434="Ramy"]It depends on what you hit at 2-3 mph.
A truck with a huge trailer hitch will do a lot more damage that if you another vehicle with a "soft" bumper.[/quote:e289235434]

This was a Mercury Topaz, almost dead center in the back bumper. They had a bent piece below the trunk lip. I'm almost willing to bet it could be bumped back out without too much effort.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My neighbor just accidently backed into my front bumper. It teared the plastic material about 2 inches wide. We thought it would be an easy repair and got an estimate for $325 from one of these "Bumper Doc" type guys. It sounds high but the question is Anyone used these folks vs standard body repair shop?

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
BLUE BEAUTY said:
My neighbor just accidently backed into my front bumper. It teared the plastic material about 2 inches wide. We thought it would be an easy repair and got an estimate for $325 from one of these "Bumper Doc" type guys. It sounds high but the question is Anyone used these folks vs standard body repair shop?
You can purchase a complete replacement bumper from
www.hondaautomotiveparts.com for roughly 200
use your existing grill & clips

and it will take you about 20 min IF THAT to swap the bumper

see look

http://www.nyelement.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=FOGLIGHTS

·
Registered
5 Posts
Type X thanks for the quick come back. Your photos were terrific. I went to majestic and their price was $213 +$5 handling and an unspecified amt for shipping since its oversize. They are on East coast I am in San Diego so my local dealer price of $286 could be in the ballpark. Not sure what to do! I may just accept the cut/dent since its small and let the kid off the hook! Thanks for your feedback...Blue Beauty..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Type X, its Blue Beauty again...just saw you were in Staten Island! Im an ole Brooklyn boy who spent a lot of time at a home my parents had in Castleton Corners area, in Staten Island. We took the ferry back then. It was all empty of course, no bridge, no developments etc. Now I am in San Diego but I was still happy the Jets beat San Diego. The Chargers are trying to extort money from the taxpayers here so they dont get my support! Thanks again for the bumper info..............

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
BLUE BEAUTY said:
Type X, its Blue Beauty again...just saw you were in Staten Island! Im an ole Brooklyn boy who spent a lot of time at a home my parents had in Castleton Corners area, in Staten Island. We took the ferry back then. It was all empty of course, no bridge, no developments etc. Now I am in San Diego but I was still happy the Jets beat San Diego. The Chargers are trying to extort money from the taxpayers here so they dont get my support! Thanks again for the bumper info..............
Haha nice
small world
I'm out in Eltingville by great kills
I take the ferry to the city for work......i remember when i was small and things were underdeveloped... hopefully i'll be moving soon
This girl i'm seeing is out in Bayside queens boderline of long island
so I'm gonna start to look in that region for condo's ...

i wish i was out in the west coast but $ = here :grin:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts