Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So about a week ago I had a dragging/surging problem addressed at the Honda dealership. Turns out it was an uncalibrated TB position sensor causing the issue. They also did an idle relearn, updated the ECU/PCM, and checked the intake tubes for any vacuum leaks.

Calibrating the TB position sensor completely fixed the issue I was having, but since then I've been having an issue with the vehicle idling and dying. Specifically it will idle around 750 RPM, then I'll see/feel the RPMs drop to 500 or below. Sometimes the engine will catch itself and rev back up to compensate, and then repeat the process. Sometimes the engine stalls and dies.

When the engine starts to sputter I smell gasoline, and when I restart the vehicle I get a P0172 code (System too Rich (Bank 1)). I looked at my fuel trim and it is off the charts negative, pegging out at -31.25%. Active driving causes it to correct to about -20 to -15%, but the moment I idle STFT pegs back at -31.25%.

The MAF sensor and O2 sensors are all brand new, with less than 500 miles on them. They've been installed for at least three weeks, and I've had no problem with the vehicle running rich and no P0172 code until after the vehicle repair at the dealership.

I'm wondering if/how this is related to the vehicle service I had last week, or if it is something else like a stuck-open fuel injector flooding the engine with fuel until it chokes and dies. I've got another appointment at the dealership for them to fix their screw up this weekend.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The issue ended up being the O2 sensors. I installed some aftermarket Denso sensors. Turns out the Element is finicky and fusses at anything except OEM O2 sensors.

I replaced the O2 sensors with Honda sensors and the issue went away for a while (about three months). Fast forward to about two months ago the same issue returned. I took the vehicle to the dealership and they weren't able to replicate the problem, but did inform me that sometimes the problem will persist if you don't erase the codes afterward.

That was 12/17 and things have been perfect since (knock on wood).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts