Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm at a loss here. 2003 Honda Element has been running just dandy at 250k miles until I started to see Check Engine light with a "random" misfire code for each cylinder .Check engine light came on, turned off, turned back on blinking, then went back to being on permanently. Blinking may be induced by cat converter according to my research.. but no other symptoms of cat converter.
Did a basic tune up; spark plugs, coil pack, etc. to try to "cheap fix" the issue at hand.. Still misfire code with rough idle, low acceleration. Car is still running and starting, but too risky to drive. Read a forum that suggested it could be any of the following:
Low Fuel Pressure
Vacuum leak
EGR Problems
Ignition Problem
Camshaft/Crankshaft sensors
Low Compression due to head gasket issue
My car did overheat due to cracked radiator 2 months ago. Replaced radiator, water pump, thermostat, etc. to avail with no overheating issues. Never tested for a cracked head, just hoped that wasn't the case and haven't had any overheating issues since.
I am trying to do the work myself; and am confused of where to start with the random code being less than specific. Should I start with crankshaft/camshaft sensors and hope for the best? Open to anysuggstions! Thank you

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Your engine requires a periodic adjustment of the valves every 100,000 miles or so and the fleet is getting to the age now where a lot of them are starting to fail because the owners didn't take care of this. Yours sounds like it's one of them. Do you know when the last time yours was checked? If you go too long, you'll get random misfires, burn up the valves, and then the engine needs expensive repairs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion. I do not know when the last check was.
Wishfully assuming about 20k miles ago when I bought it from previous owner who seemed to maintain it well.
Will probably take it to an auto repair shop afterall. We'll see what the damage is!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts