Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 2007 Honda Element has about 190k on it. I just bought it about 15k ago. The Check engine light came on and through the codes. I have read a bunch about this and we have since replaced the Varialbe timing solenoid, oil sensor, cleaned the filters, did an oil change and replaced all filters, cleaned the VTC strainer, checked ALL fuses related to this issue. The engine light will go off and it will run awesome for like a day. Then it will come back on. I cannot accelerate about 3k RPM. it starts bucking and jumping like its going to stall. I cannot go above 70MPH. As soon as i hit 70mph, it starts to decelerate and buck. Im at my wits end. I have literally changed everything and this code keeps coming back and making the car run like POOP. please help me!!!

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
1,128 Posts
This can be a problem! Here's a few things to check:

Check the wiring connectors at the VTEC solenoid. If they look corroded at all, replace them. Poor contact there is a possible reason why you are having this problem intermittently.

Did you use a genuine Honda VTEC solenoid? Many members here claim the aftermarket (eBay or Amazon) solenoids are problematic; even though they look virtually identical side by side.

Are you using 5W20 oil? There has been a lot of discussion here about oil weight. Some say Never Ever use anything but 5W20; others claim they have had good results going with a heavier weight, like 5W30 or 10W30. Sounds good in theory anyway; heavier oil means slightly higher oil pressure, which means no low pressure signal to the computer.

One guy here was adamant about never ever using any oil additives. I can see where using something thick and gooey (like old STP) would cause a problem, but I had used the thin Rislone oil additive in my other cars for decades with excellent results! But I stopped using it on my Element.

Are you using a very high grade oil filter? I like the Wix 57356.

At any rate, experimenting with different oils is at least inexpensive and easy to try.

I wish I could tell you more; but I can't. Last June my '03 Element threw a P2646 code and went into limp mode. But it only lasted about 2 days and was back to normal. It did this twice; but hasn't come back in now like 7 months and 7000 miles! I have now idea why!

Keep doing some research on this site and other Honda (ones that use the 2.4 VTEC) sites.

If I find some good threads on the subject, I will forward them to you.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Here's a good thread to read through:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have literally done everything and then some. We've replaced every part, checked every connection, replaced the correct oil and filters, keeps doing the same thing. Wont go past 3k RPM and will not let me go 70mph of higher. Same code on the code reader too.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I have literally done everything and then some. We've replaced every part, checked every connection, replaced the correct oil and filters, keeps doing the same thing. Wont go past 3k RPM and will not let me go 70mph of higher. Same code on the code reader too.
I'm busy with something right now, but later on I will search my history; and if I find any more good info., I'll forward it to you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So what is the status, Jbart?
I have put about 1200 miles or so on my '06, and this just started happening 2 days ago. It is cranky in the morning, but the last 2 afternoons it has behaved like normal.
Called a Honda specialty shop in town (not a dealer), and Kenny told me they just got another '06 Element in with the IDENTICAL symptoms. Mine and this one both have the check engine light on since this began and Kenny told me it was throwing P2646.
I've read the thread mentioned above, and this indicates Vtec issues, and sometimes just low oil volume trips it. Just checked mine, and my level is borderline. I'll add some oil and see if it helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So what is the status, Jbart?
I have put about 1200 miles or so on my '06, and this just started happening 2 days ago. It is cranky in the morning, but the last 2 afternoons it has behaved like normal.
Called a Honda specialty shop in town (not a dealer), and Kenny told me they just got another '06 Element in with the IDENTICAL symptoms. Mine and this one both have the check engine light on since this began and Kenny told me it was throwing P2646.
I've read the thread mentioned above, and this indicates Vtec issues, and sometimes just low oil volume trips it. Just checked mine, and my level is borderline. I'll add some oil and see if it helps.
Unfortunately I have replaced everything and cleaned everything and it still to no avail has the voices and won't run properly. I cannot go above 69 mph. And can't rev past 3k rpms. We have exhausted every option. Replaced all sensors, cleaned all filters. Replaced the entire selonoid and all the wires and plugs that connect to it. No one can find anything else to fix. I'm sad because I love my car. I wish I had a better answer. If you figure out the secret please share

·
Registered
2 Posts
I imagine if I "figured out the secret", I would have a lot of new friends here. :D
Mine has (for now) decided to behave, starting 2 days ago - right after I posted. I checked the oil when I bought it, and looks like it hadn't been driven since the oil change at the used car dealer - clear and bright on the dipstick.
Checked the oil again the evening that I posted, and it was just covering the Minimum hole in the stick. Some have said low oil level / pressure is a common factor.
My yellow Maintenance Required light has also gone out.
In my life, this usually means it's trying to fool me into relaxing and thinking I don't have a problem now. But I know better... especially since I was going to drive over 400 miles this weekend to trailer a motorcycle back home. And I haven't towed a trailer yet, with this vehicle.
It's a perfect time to start thrashing and bucking and topping out at 35mph on the Atlanta freeways. Six lanes of traffic, all flying low at 90... yeah.
I dunno...
So I don't have a solution, and I'm on borrowed time I'm sure.
I'll update again later. sigh

·
Registered
6 Posts
Unfortunately I have replaced everything and cleaned everything and it still to no avail has the voices and won't run properly. I cannot go above 69 mph. And can't rev past 3k rpms. We have exhausted every option. Replaced all sensors, cleaned all filters. Replaced the entire selonoid and all the wires and plugs that connect to it. No one can find anything else to fix. I'm sad because I love my car. I wish I had a better answer. If you figure out the secret please share
I’m a new member and my bro is a mechanic, he said it might be wrong installation of vvt gear or vvt solenoid valve but you said solenoid had been replaced.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yea everything had been replaced. Unfortunately, it just kept losing oil pressure because of the code that was coming up. I traded it in four a new car because it was becoming unsafe to drive with a kid in the car. Going into neutral on the highway while I'm doing 70. I loved that car but I just couldn't do it anymore.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yea everything had been replaced. Unfortunately, it just kept losing oil pressure because of the code that was coming up. I traded it in four a new car because it was becoming unsafe to drive with a kid in the car. Going into neutral on the highway while I'm doing 70. I loved that car but I just couldn't do it anymore.
Were you able to verify your oil pressure, how much pressure you have

1 - 11 of 11 Posts